Sponsored by:

964 momo install details

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:13 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Default 964 momo install details

I removed my stock wheel last night but had a couple questions regarding the horn adaptor and about removing the plastic ring.

“The Porsche horn bracket is pushed into the metal plate in front of the turn signal brackets, at around 1 o'clock. Push it in until it clicks into place.”

How do you get it out? Does it un-click easily? In other words, how easily is it reversible?

The other question I have is how do you disconnect the horn and airbag wiring to the plastic ring? Where are the connectors located? It doesn’t look like they come off the plastic ring very easily and I slid the rubber tubing up over the wires a bit and didn’t see anything but maybe I just need to slide it farther to reach some spade connectors or something.

The old posts are good but many of the photos have now been, unfortunately, purged.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Try here and here.

Marc
The following users liked this post:
skim (03-16-2022)
Old 11-23-2011, 03:31 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Wow. Thx Marc.

Since I am going to the MOMO hub and horn I assume they use the L shaped contact piece so I will be removing the stock contact assembly therefore here is my question: How do you disconnect the wires from the horn contact ring?

Joey's DIY is very good but the photos no longer show and it's kind of vague in this regard so, in a fit of patience, I thought I would find out the right answer before proceeding.

Here are the wires of interest. I found that they didn't seem to want to come free willingly and somewhere there was a reference to connections further up under the rubber sheath, (double arrows). Do I just keep peeling back the sheath until they show?
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just swapped mine over to a Momo.

(Un)Fortunately for me, I have a 1990C4, sans airbag, so can't help with that one.
I CAN say with conviction that I am absolutely gob-smacked how much a steering wheel change can improve the "feel" of driving the car!!! You won't regret it.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Which Momo wheel ? Pictures ?
Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Mod 07. Pics to follow.
"All Porsche factory race cars since about 1994 (964 RSR and later) use the same Mod .07 wheel. Earlier 964 Cups used a different Momo wheel but many have since been refitted with the Mod .07. Bottom line, they're all the Momo Mod .07."

John, does the new horn contact adaptor that plugs into the switch click out so that you can reverse the whole thing easily? Actually, if you are pre Abag then maybe you already have this part.
Anyone else? Marc?

Last edited by c didy; 11-24-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:19 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The entire process is reversible. just hang on to all the wee bits and pieces.

The only really tricky part is getting the horn contact to stay in place properly so that it works when it's all back together. I had a bit of trouble getting the horn to work consistently.

Getting the wheels centred is fun too. Did you purchase the Cup car airbag sensor to deactivate the passenger side airbag and turn off all the airbag light on the dash?

I have the same set up. Mod 07 in alcantara. It changed the driving experience.

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by vasculardoc
Which Momo wheel ? Pictures ?
This one

quick back-story... It was used by a good friend who owned and drove in our V8 Touring Car series (sort of like NASCARS?, ie. based on production sedan bodies but with whopping great V8's!). Anyway, he changed wheels and flicked me this one, only a season old. I used to have on another car, but decided to use for the 964. Suede is a little worn on right side where I hang my hand, but I think that just adds character. I needed a new boss kit and trawled Rennlist, Ebay, etc, with no luck. Eventually just bought a new boss kit from the local Momo distributor, about $90 delivered. I still have the old boss kit if anyone needs it, but does not suit Porsche cars.

I am not too OCD about keeping car "original", (eg. have considered tear-drops to replace the barn-doors, just the cost holding me back on that one), but I was always a bit more precious about the interior, especially as this is NOT a Porsche item. I shouldn't have waited. Not only looks great, but the change to the cars "feel" is amazing!!! Should have been first thing I did when I bought the car 6 years ago!!!

I'll try and get some pics of it in the car later when I find time.

PS. You can get Porsche crest horn-button, but they're NOT cheap. Figured I may as well leave the Momo one....
Attached Images    
Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

yeah. looks good. i'm going leather. love the suede but it gets crushed after a while and a while is how long i want to keep it.

Cliff, how about releasing the wires circled in red in my post in the above photo? where are the connectors? further up the sleeve 3", 5", or what? you don't have to cut the sleeve do you?

Last edited by c didy; 11-24-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:32 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

The thread I followed stated this:
Step 6. Now, gently pull the wiring attached to the contact plate out from the dash. The horn and airbag wiring is sheathed in a rubber tube. Sliding it up will reveal the two plugs connected to the contact plate which you can disconnect to keep the plate intact.

Slide the sheathing up. The clips should be there.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:43 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Cliff, yes, maybe it means to pull/slide the sheath away from the dash, i was pushing it away from the contact ring thinking that was "up" so maybe that was wrong. some of the threads have guys cutting the wires and installing spade connectors but i think they just didn't know and i don't want to do that.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:47 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
...does the new horn contact adaptor that plugs into the switch click out so that you can reverse the whole thing easily? Actually, if you are pre Abag then maybe you already have this part.
Anyone else? Marc?
Sorry, but I did not disconnect my horn ring so I don't know.

Marc
Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 11-25-2011, 05:08 PM
medent
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also changing my old steering wheel for a Momo Competition.
When I took off the airbag I found that it was not connected. The orange clip end was taped up and tucked away. Any idea why someone would do that?
Do I need to disable the airbags or does this mean that they are already disabled? Or does that happen when I remove the horn ring (disconnect the wires for the horn and the airbag that are tucked into the dash)?
What do I do with those wires? Just tuck them back in again?
And when I get the part number 964.652.104.00 (the horn contact) and push it into the hole, does it work just like that? Or do I have to attach the other horn wire in there somewhere?
Lastly, my Momo adapter has a tooth that sticks out. What is that for and does it matter where it is positioned? I've (hopefully) attached a photo.
Sorry for all the questions. Hope someone can help?
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Is that the catch for the indicator switch? I can't remember even though it wasn't that long ago when I did this. I'm getting old.

Quick Reply: 964 momo install details