Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Unhappy Cabriolet Top Problems

Another of my recent problems

Last night I tried opening the top and halfway into it it made some awuful noise... having read here of folks that snap their mechanism... I proceeded to close it instead... still got a few weird noises and some hesitation of the top to close... but eventually it did close...

Help!!!! What are the spots to lubricate this well and rule out that as a culprit....
Old 10-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You have to check the transmissions on either side of the cab. They are cable driven. They are located behind the side body trim almost inline with the seat belts. You also need to check the frame mechanism as well. Try a manual wind up or down. The instructions are in the owners manual.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thanks as always Adrian. Last thing I want is to see one of those frames break...
Old 10-30-2003, 06:21 AM
Rob McConnell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Sorry to hear of your problems, first thing i would do is to remove the two rear panels by the seatbelt, these panels normally hold a rear speaker each. Behind these you will see two large disc shaped packs. These are held to the body of the car bay 3 bolts. In the centre of the pack you will see a large bolt.

This holds the roof mechanism onto the gearpack and when tight will drive the hood. If you loosen the large bolt the roof will not be driven by the motor as there will be no grip, its like a male female arrangement.

You will now be able to disengage the power locks on the windscreen as usual and move the hood by hand, this will give you a feel for where the hood is binding. I have a detailed drawing of the hood and all its working that another lister provided to me when i was having problems. I will try to send it to you now if i can find it.

Have sent you a private mail for your address
Thanks
Rob
91 964 cab

Last edited by Rob McConnell; 10-30-2003 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Frank Bentz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, there's a lot of us with Cabs, will you share the pics here?
Frank
Old 10-31-2003, 09:00 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Jaime,
If you need another 91 cab top workings to look at as a benchmark I am in Altamonte and knock on wood mine seems to work with no problems

Jim
Old 10-31-2003, 02:50 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Rob McConnell
Hi

Sorry to hear of your problems, first thing i would do is to remove the two rear panels by the seatbelt, these panels normally hold a rear speaker each. Behind these you will see two large disc shaped packs. These are held to the body of the car bay 3 bolts. In the centre of the pack you will see a large bolt.

This holds the roof mechanism onto the gearpack and when tight will drive the hood. If you loosen the large bolt the roof will not be driven by the motor as there will be no grip, its like a male female arrangement.

You will now be able to disengage the power locks on the windscreen as usual and move the hood by hand, this will give you a feel for where the hood is binding. I have a detailed drawing of the hood and all its working that another lister provided to me when i was having problems. I will try to send it to you now if i can find it.

Have sent you a private mail for your address
Thanks
Rob
91 964 cab
Rob thanks!! Yes send them please... email id is wachuko67@netscape.net
Old 10-31-2003, 02:51 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by jimq
Jaime,
If you need another 91 cab top workings to look at as a benchmark I am in Altamonte and knock on wood mine seems to work with no problems

Jim
Thanks for the offer Jim. Will let you know if I need the help. For now I will remove the covers, follow the steps outlined by Rob, use some WD40, and see if that takes care of it. thanks again!!
Old 10-31-2003, 03:17 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jaime,
I do not recommend you use WD-40. I recommend you use a light graphite grease or spray. WD-40 is not actually a mechanical system lubricant and whilst it does loosen things (the job it was designed to do) up it does not last long nor does it protect.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 11-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob, you have a PM
Old 06-29-2004, 01:50 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I can't believe I posted this on October 29, 2003 and it is not until this past Sunday that I took sometime to look at it... just amazed how time goes by so quickly....

Anyhow... here are some photos of the cabriolet transmission when I removed it...

Word of caution to all cabriolet owners... open/remove the side covers and check the bolts that hold the top's transmission... mine were loose and I can bet that this was the reason for the transmission excessive work and breakage.

I will try to fix the broken base with JB Weld. I will need one cable but since I am there I might as well replace the second one as well. For now I will manually raise/lower it when needed.

Rob your email/illustrations were most helpful, thanks again.

From the side:

Last edited by Wachuko; 06-29-2004 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I am just happy the frame is in excellent condition and the problem is a broken cable and one loose transmission. Driver side was intact.

How much do these cable run$$ ?

Also, on of the nuts that hold a bolt came loose. I am going to have to find a creative way to insert and hold a nut in there while I put the bolt... that will be fun. Plus getting the spacer that fell only God knows where....

I will post photos along the way if anyone is interested.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Anyone with access to the: TSB-69502-JAN 95-Cabriolet Top - Revised Tension Cable Securing ??
Old 06-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

wow... US$171.40 each (part number 993 561 922 03)... and this is with Sunset Porsche (lowest price I could find)... ouch...
Old 06-29-2004, 03:44 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally posted by Wachuko

Word of caution to all cabriolet owners... open/remove the side covers and check the bolts that hold the top's transmission... mine were loose and I can bet that this was the reason for the transmission excessive work and breakage.
Jaime - that's exactly what I found on my cabrio - and I guarantee that's why my driver's side frame snapped way back in 10/2003 on my car!!! Those bolts on that secure each transmission should be a REQUIRED maintenance check for all cabrio owners every year, since that will easily misalign things and potentially bust the systems.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet Top Problems