Steering groans when cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 03:21 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering groans when cold

Hi,
Over the last week I've noticed a strange noise when driving around the multi-storey car park at work. I've finally figured out that it is the power steering. Sounds a bit like a rubbing / groaning noise.

It is not due to wheel rub or anything because it happens when I start turning the wheel. Only seems to happen when the car is cold - so only notice it when I leave work. It is clearly something to do with the power steering.

What is it likely to be?
Old 10-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check hydraulic fluid level first. Then check for a leaks. Groaning is a sign of lack of fluid and metal grinding upon metal.
One tip, if you have the defrost system running you can sometimes feel this through the steering wheel with a groan as well. This is caused by both fans running at max speed and setting up a vibration.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-24-2003, 04:45 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Adrian,
Thanks - looks like you are right, the fluid level is pretty low.

I will top it up today, but this has reminded me of something I had forgotten all about. I vaguely recall my mechanic telling me one time that my power steering fluid was low, and that they had topped it up and I should keep an eye on it. I had forgotten all about it - but since it is low again, it looks like I have a leak somewhere.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:28 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Leaks in the steering actuator are quite common. This is purely an age issue. The seals fail. This requires the actuator to be removed and rebuilt.
Based on experience I would advise you have yours repaired/rebuilt or replaced with a new one. I do not trust rebuilt ones off the shelf. Remember also to always use the correct MINERAL oil for the power steering. Do not use synthetic oil because it dissolves the seals in a matter of minutes.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-24-2003, 11:14 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dave,

You're most likely leaking from one of two places--the pump or the rack shaft seals. To check the rack, look around the gaiters for escaping fluid--both sides. Or, give the gaiters a squeeze, and see if one or both feel squishy (filled with fluid). My bet is on the rack seals.

If you replace the rack, make sure you get new tie-rods at the same time (to replace the rack without replacing the tie-rods is considered foolish). You might even consider new ball joints, if that hasn't been done already.

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:14 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I hope it's the pump. I had a new steering rack fitted some time last year (because the seals leaked) - and I went for a new one, not reconditioned - and it came from Porsche not ZF because they didn't have any. If it is that leaking again, I will be an unhappy customer!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Dave,
The pump is on the engine so the groaning would have to come from behind you. Can you feel anything in the steering wheel?
In the cold weather a groaning power steering pump is not uncommon because of the cold oil. The difference being what you can feel in the steering wheel.
Maybe your new rack is still covered under warranty?
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DaveK
I hope it's the pump. I had a new steering rack fitted some time last year (because the seals leaked) - and I went for a new one, not reconditioned - and it came from Porsche not ZF because they didn't have any. If it is that leaking again, I will be an unhappy customer!
Well, I've had both leak, so it could very well be the pump. My pump leaked fairly early in life--back in '94 or so at around 35k miles or so.

Has your noise gone away now that you've filled the reservoir? When my rack when out (the second time ), it really went. I first became aware that I had a problem when I noticed a groaning from the front end when I turned the wheel far to one side (e.g., pulling out of a parking space). When I first heard the sound, I also thought it sounded like rubbing. This was as I was leaving a party. By the time I got home (about a half hour later), the groan was in full song, and I found my reservoir severely depleted. The pump was also making noise, but I couldn't hear it inside the cabin over the running engine.

Once the reservoir was filled, the groaning/rubbing sound and pump noise went away.

What's strange is that you wrote that the noise only occurred when cold. Suppose it's possible that your reservoir level was "on the bubble," and heating the fluid brought it up enough to feed the system properly.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:59 AM
DaveK
Race Car

The new fluid has quietenend it down. I think the groan was from the back of the car. Will take a look at the rack seals when I get the chance.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Dave,
The lack of fluid will make the pump groan. It is called cavitating. In the cold weather it will also groan when cold. If you have a leak from the pump area you will see if under the car normally. Take off the engine cover and see if you have any evidence of fluid.
You need to keep to find where the fluid is going. I have never had to top up my power steering fluid in 5 years. Touch wood this continues.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-27-2003, 08:46 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I checked the steering rack - bone dry. So I went to my mechanic this morning to discuss the possibility of a new pump once I'd checked that. They said it was almost certainly not the pump - they have never replaced one - but they said the hose from the reservoir to the pump often fails.

They took a look, and it is that hose which is leaking. New one is about £70 + vat, and about an hours labour. Will have it fitted in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Christer
Race Car

Phew, at least you discovered a) what it was and b) that it isn't expensive to fix!
Old 10-27-2003, 10:58 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Yeah - but I didn't tell you the bad news!

I also mentioned to them that my air con suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago. It could be the condensor - but I doubt it, since that's only about a year old. They said they would take a look for the leak when it's in for the steering leak - but they said worse case was the evaporator - they saw a couple of those leaking over the summer. Estimate £900-£1000 fitted! If it is that, at least for the winter I don't need air con.......
Old 01-10-2023, 09:58 PM
mreigie
AutoX

Originally Posted by Adrian
Dear Dave,
The lack of fluid will make the pump groan. It is called cavitating. In the cold weather it will also groan when cold. If you have a leak from the pump area you will see if under the car normally. Take off the engine cover and see if you have any evidence of fluid.
You need to keep to find where the fluid is going. I have never had to top up my power steering fluid in 5 years. Touch wood this continues.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Greetings Adrian, Sound like my 2000 986. Only when cold and parked for at least overnight I am greeted by a groan 3 or 4 seconds after ignition and only lasts for also 3 or 4 seconds Can you describe or better yet if you have an image of it's placement, I would be most grateful. I don't see any evidence of leakage and suspect it's just low. I hope!! Thanks in advance. -Mike
Old 01-14-2023, 08:33 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts

Hi Mike,
You are replying to a very old post and I don't know if Adrian still visits this site, but his advice is spot on. I had the same issue but I believe mine was made worse by adding too much Lucas power steering stop leak. I think too much Stop Leak will thicken the power steering fluid and exacerbate any possible cold weather cavitation. I purged the old fluid and replaced with new and the groaning stopped instantly.
Hope this helps.
Tom

Quick Reply: Steering groans when cold