Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 11:01 AM
mreigie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Many Thanks...

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Hi Mike,
You are replying to a very old post and I don't know if Adrian still visits this site, but his advice is spot on. I had the same issue but I believe mine was made worse by adding too much Lucas power steering stop leak. I think too much Stop Leak will thicken the power steering fluid and exacerbate any possible cold weather cavitation. I purged the old fluid and replaced with new and the groaning stopped instantly.
Hope this helps.
Tom
I did see the age after my question and crossed my fingers!. My hope is the previous owner of my Boxter did not add anything and is simply low by virtue of perhaps an old "O" ring on the reservoir neck I've seen that on more than 1 post. At any rate I did order the factory fluid and a new ring and am waiting for it to arrive to investigate as low or thick fluid sounds perfectly logical. My thinking is when the car sits as it does for extended periods thanks to the lovely winters in Denver the air gap if you will rises to the reservoir and upon start up the remaining oil is drawn down until the res. is empty and when the return line delivers more oil an air pocket develops in the line which takes a couple of seconds to reach the pump and until it fills, the groan. I proved this yesterday when we had decent weather and decided to take it to work and at start up rocked the steering wheel back and forth to change the flow rate somewhat and the groan's pitch changed slightly coinciding with the steering wheel. This made me confident enough to order the fluid. Thank you much for adding another element of logic to the story making me feel better about buying the pricey oil before thoroughly investigating the issue. Again, many thanks - Mike
Old 01-15-2023, 11:03 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 125 Posts

over 5000 views on this post. I switched to manual racks on my cars back in the late 90's.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:50 AM
parkertseng
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
over 5000 views on this post. I switched to manual racks on my cars back in the late 90's.
Hi Scott,

How is the feel of steering wheel when the car isn't moving?
Thinking to go manual rack or electric motorize.
Thanks

Parker

Quick Reply: Steering groans when cold