Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100000 Miles service, do it your self.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 100000 Miles service, do it your self.........

Hi,

I want to start a topic which can be interesting for you guys.

Now my garage floor is ready, I jack up my 964 next week for the 100000 miles service.

I bought the parts this week, all filters, spark plugs, brake pads front and rear. Valve cover gaskets because of the valve adjustment and also I bought Mobil synthetic gearbox oil.
I need to replace the oil pressure sender because it does strange things, and leaks oil and I plan to replace the gasket from the cover on top of the engine which is also the spot where the engine ventilation hose is connected. Also my secundairy muffler needs to be welded, it broke by fibrations I think.

My question is, Does some body wants to have any pictures from special places on the car? Ask, and I will see what I can do.
This topic could run for a while, because a have to do a lot of work on the car. So have patience when my answer will not directly will come the same day.

I try to post as many pics I can.

So, as soon as I start, I will post a few pics from the car jacked up in the air and we will see what happens.

NOTE: Please be aware of the danger that could bring the not professional repairs of the brakes. If you don't trust it, let I do somebody professional.

Nice day!
Old 10-21-2003, 11:54 AM
andrew964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arjan, if you could do some of the oil pressure sender that'd be really helpfull, mine seems to have a life of its own at times!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:29 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Arjan - are you dropping the engine or raising the car? I'd be interested to know a) how easy it is to lower the engine out of the car and b) if this makes any jobs easier.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:44 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would he need to drop th eengine??

THe oil pressure sender is on top of the engine, under all of the intake gubbins. Remove all of the intake gubbins and you have access - I think......
Old 10-21-2003, 12:52 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair enough!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

I try to acces the sensor by removing the air flow meter. If this is not enough, I will remove the intake manifold. So I can clean the manifold inside from oil residu and other dirt. Time is not a problem, takes it a week work at night, so what.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:46 PM
andrew964
Instructor

Arjan, what type of engine oil will you be using?
Old 10-21-2003, 04:48 PM
DaveK
Race Car

My oil pressure sender was replaced by my mechanic, and I think they did it by removing the air flow meter. But be warned - they had a carefully bent spanner to remove the oil pressure sender because there isn't that much space.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:04 PM
eddychan
Racer

Dear Arjan,

Great stuff! Would you mine showing how to replace number six spark plug? ( you know which one I mean)

Cheers!

Eddie
Old 10-22-2003, 02:54 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Andrew,
Normally I use Mobil 1 0W40, but now I tend to use TOTAL 9000 0W40. Same specifications, but we sell no Mobil anymore, so......
For gearbox I bought the 75W90 fully synthetic oil directly from de Dealer.

Eddy, yes I try to mak a pic. of it too. Normally when you take a lot of time and hve =no rush, most difficult repairs starts to get easy is my experience. Sometimes its better to walk away for a few minutes and try again after.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Arjan,
I would like to inject a little accuracy into your statement of a 100,000 miles service because you are maybe causing some confusion for those who use miles versus km.
There is a 160,000 km service there is not an actual 100,000 miles service. The countries which use miles run a 3,000, 6,000, 12,000 or 15,000 mile interval. As you know 12 and 15 do not go into 100 evenly. We here in Europe (ex UK) use the 20,000 km service interval. Yes 100K miles is 160K km but for accuracy in Holland you would use 160,000 km.
This is just a point of clarity for the miles using 964 owners.
On a separate related issue. I would be interested to know which actual service tasks are you carrying out on this service. For instance are you doing a valve adjustment? How do you intend to complete some of the other more difficult service issues if you are following the complete list of Porsche service task recommendations? How do you personally decide which tasks you will and won´t carry out?
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Adrian and others

I will do biggest service there is, so that would be the 80.000 km [160000km] inspection.
Yes, I will do a valve adjustment, replace the spark plugs, replace all the filters, do a oil change on the engine, also for the gear box I bought oil.
Even the brake and clutch fluid [same] needs to be refreshed.

For all clearness, YES, I DO THIS SERVICE AS PORSCHE DISCRIBES IN THE SERVICE MANUAL 1992 EUROPE.
I have all the time in the world to do this in my free time, so I can tak care of everything the service book says, THIS MEANS DO IT THE RIGHT WAY.

I hope this a clear answer for everybody.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:43 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eddy

number 6 plug, the top one, is not as hard as everyone says. They key is that you need to work from BELOW.

Usually, though not always, you would already have removed the cat (or cart bypass) from the LHS of the car and the secondary muffler from the RHS of the car. You then remove the 'tinware', the metal sheeting which cover the valve covers. Once these are off, you have access to plugs on both side, top and bottom.

TO remove the plugs you will need a plug socket (make sure it has the rubber inside that grips onto the plug), a small 4" extension and a uni-joint. You feed the socket and 4" extender into the top #6 spark plug access hole - its tight but it goes in. Once that has clicked home onto the plu, fit the uni joint and you're set. Its not that hard - no more time consuming than any of the others - but you have to remove the exhaust & tinware to get to it.
The following users liked this post:
FL4t6 (05-04-2020)
Old 10-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Arjan,
I never doubted you intended to do it correctly. I wish you would not seemingly take everything the wrong way. The reason I asked was to see how other people view the recommended tasks from Porsche. You may have had your own ideas or swapped them around and I was interested to hear or read your approach to this important issue. Most people do not even have the schedule let alone follow it. I was looking for your expertise and views not having a go or doubting your sincerity or abilities.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Adrian,

No no, this time I took it as a question from your side. The BIG WORDS where just to take things clear. Don't worry, I forgot all thing from last week and started a "new Live". So, if you tought that I would take it the wrong way this time, then I can tell you that I am comfartable with your questions this time and in the future. Don't worry, ask....

Nice evening to you, and..........I didn't knew that there were different service scedules.
Good that you tell this, so when I grt wuestions I know what to answer to the one who asks a explanation.

Quick Reply: 100000 Miles service, do it your self.........