I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 07:16 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need help!

Hi,
This morning, I had to pull out from a junction onto a dual carriage way. The junction is such that two cars can wait side by side, so one pulls out to the inside lane and one pulls out to the outside lane.

I pulled up next to a silver BMW - I was ready for the outside lane. He pulled out slightly ahead of me, so I pulled out and floored it. Unfortunately - so did he, and what I hadn't noticed when I pulled up next to him was that it was actually a new M3.

Needless to say, he pulled away a bit quicker than me and them moved into the outer lane ahead of me. I've never liked M3s - don't doubt they are fantastic cars, but I like cars that look like sports cars. But following him this morning I found the thought running through my head : Hmmm, they're fast AND quite practical.....

Someone please help me before I advertise my 964 and start visiting BMW showrooms!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:28 AM
John Miles
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I need help!

Originally posted by DaveK

Someone please help me before I advertise my 964 and start visiting BMW showrooms!
Dave, post a few photos of your great looking 964 in my photo competition and win it and then the fame and glory will give you such buzz you will never be able to sell.
J
Old 10-20-2003, 07:40 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its a BMW. Need I saw more!

Apologies to all BMW owners (Robmug etc!!)
Old 10-20-2003, 08:40 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Dave, Christer and I will be coming round with the baseball bats on Wednesday afternoon... that should sort things out!

But seriously, consider that older Beemers rattle a lot, are more common, aer more likely to be associated with rice, you wouldn't have Rennlist anymore, the steering is supposed to give little feedback... etc etc
Old 10-21-2003, 02:11 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Don't do it! I have a '03 Z4 3.0i sitting in my garage collecting dust. Driving a BMW, M3 or not, can never be compared to the exhilaration of a Porsche! The BMW is just too...... plush!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Christer
Race Car

You are right that you need help. Thing is, I blame this on Riccardo - he started this walk-out!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:36 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I agree, think I'd like to blame Riccardo as well.

However - I've overcome my moment of madness. Don't know what I was thinking. I'm sure they are very quick cars - but I already have a car which - alledgedly - did 160mph up the M11 on Saturday so who needs more than that? Must admit though - it (alledgedly) didn't feel as stable at that speed as it used to. Think my tyres must be getting low.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Dave,
In August I was invited by BMW Switzerland to test drive the new limited edition M3 CSL. 360 HP. Six speed transmission one of those without a clutch and with sequential shifter and paddles on the steering wheel.
Excellent auto, weighed in at 1420 kgs (too heavy) but it did not make me smile.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: They were mean as well. I asked them to loan one to my wife for a few weeks for a ladies test but they said no. Rotten buggers I thought it was a fair deal.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:33 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

and what I hadn't noticed when I pulled up next to him was that it was actually a new M3.
That's the key...you didn't notice.

M3s are OK, but you'd be better off spending £6k on a real M3 (E30) and keeping the 964. You'll lose £6k in the first year on a new M3.

johnfm - no apologies necessary!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

C'mon..is faster really better? My buddy has chipped his S4, and he'd leave me in his dust, but as Evan Dando puts it..so clinical.

..and I would caution against racing unknown BMW's. My other buddy ( I have 2, you know) was agressively tailgated by a 3 series whilst driving his 993TT at about 85. He did the human thing and tickled the loud pedal..and the split second he hit the ton, the beemers' grille started flashing a lovely shade of blue..
Old 10-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Christer
You are right that you need help. Thing is, I blame this on Riccardo - he started this walk-out!
But you've gotta admit I've tried keeping it as silent as possible, eh?

Plus, its a transitional period for me, in the words of the governor of California "I vill be back"!
Old 10-22-2003, 07:01 PM
dove
Banned

Hi,
This morning, I had to pull out from a junction onto a dual carriage way. The junction is such that two cars can wait side by side, so one pulls out to the inside lane and one pulls out to the outside lane.

I pulled up next to a silver BMW - I was ready for the outside lane. He pulled out slightly ahead of me, so I pulled out and floored it. Unfortunately - so did he, and what I hadn't noticed when I pulled up next to him was that it was actually a new M3.

Needless to say, he pulled away a bit quicker than me and them moved into the outer lane ahead of me. I've never liked M3s - don't doubt they are fantastic cars, but I like cars that look like sports cars. But following him this morning I found the thought running through my head : Hmmm, they're fast AND quite practical.....

I read this with interest Dave as I had a fling with a new shape M3 cab a few months ago.I left Colchester joined the A12 Ipswich bound in the fast lane doing 90 ish when an M3 came up behind me with his lights flashing I did the gentlemanly thing and pulled into the slow lane and let him pass(sic),then pulled back into the fast lane and booted it and came up right behind him we were both doing 120 mph, he then pulled into the slow lane to let me through,It was like ok lets see what that bastard in that little black cab can do against my shiny new beemer so I did the decent thing again and floored it,he stayed with me till 140 mph and then backed off(girls blouse) I saw 150 mph and he was getting a fairway behind now. I reached a long left hand curve and eased off a bit and took the corner on the inside lane drifting out towards the fast lane, at this point my car starts bouncing across the dual carridgeway(it was like a Porsche spacehopper!) I hit the brakes as I was drifting towards the armco and missed it by inches.After I S**T myself I decided to stay in the fast lane at a more sedate pace,The BMW comes along side me in the slow lane with Mr poncy smileing and shaking his head and I'm like yeh see what happens if you mix it with the big boys,(It was a good job he couldnt see me shaking like hell as this may have blown my cool driver image).He then turns left down a slip road.Moral of this tale, 964's dont like very high speed cornering.Dave get your car chipped and get the jump on Mr M3 and you'll blow him away..Sell the Porsche and buy a beemer..shame on you.. go and say 10 hail marys and wash your mouth out with soap wherever you mention the words BMW.
Paul
C2 cab (mr bouncy)
Old 10-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Christer
Race Car

Paul

I can only recommend that you sort your suspension out ASAP.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:34 AM
Adrian WC
Intermediate

Very interesting comments. But must agree with the general feeings being expressed. As a past and current owner of several BMW products, including an '02 M3 which is still taking up space in my garage, I can honestly say that my Porsche (1990 C2) provides the greatest "grin" factor by a mile. For daily travel the BMW is acceptable but week-ends are something to look forward to when the Porches is uncovered and the engine started. Nothing even come close.

Who cares if some BMW's are faster. It's the thrill of the whole Porsche experience that wins and is something that no BMW driver can ever hope to have in his vehicle.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:39 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I agree - after my moment of madness I am happy with my 964 again. Apart from the fact that I'm sure it's started making a noise when I turn left.....

Anyway - Paul, my car is chipped by JZM although I'm not sure it has really made a lot of difference. But for your bouncy cornering, I think Christer is right - you probably need to take a look at your suspension. I've cornered at 150mph and the car is completely stable. I've even had a girlfriend in the car at high speed and even she has commented that it feels just like it does at 50mph. But - I do have a RUF suspension kit and can't remember if I tried 150mph cornering before that.

Quick Reply: I need help!