Sponsored by:

New chip, clutch and launching issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 01:58 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 906 Likes on 533 Posts
Default New chip, clutch and launching issues

Trying out a new line of chips (not sure of name, but something like No More Bad Days Chips . . .) as the price was cheap and I was curious as to whether I really had Ruf chip as I was told.

I usually run about 5.4s on the Gtech, but I have big 18 inch wheels and a decent amount of wieght in stereo gear.

The chip I used today switches between normal and power mode on a three position switch. I was switching between the two outside positions and running between 5.8 and 6.0 and one 6.2 (well over 10 runs). I did not have instructions and it turns out power mode was middle, not left or right. My old chip is definitely hotter than what is factory mode on the new chip.

I reset and switched to middle or power mode. To keep from just spinning the wheels, I kind of feathered the clutch so to speak and it did not fully engage. I launched hard, but the clutch never really enagaged, was slipping and staying about 2k over what should have been until I feathered the gas at about 5k. I did the same thing in 2nd.

No burning clutch smell and I have done this before without burning clutch smell.

Question is, is my clutch about toast even though I can still dump it hard and light up the rears wheels in first and second. So it bad clutch or just bad driving.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can still dump the clutch and light up the rears, then your clutch is ok. Sounds like you just gave it too much when it slipped before.
No burning smell though? don't understand that.
I once popped the clutch too high and it slipped. The car still smelled of clutch the morning after ! it was nasty.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I think my clutch is a little screwed up/out of adjustment. Tough to say as it is so different from the clutch feel on my TT. I am sending car back to shop for a new clutch and a full service/valve adjustment. No fun after just dumping $ 2,400 + about two weeks ago, but I cannot stand to have a car not feeling right. Runs strong now, but I think I am not at 100 percent.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Doug, does you car have a ruf clutch? if so it might be worth emailing ruf.de with a description of your problem for their thoughts .
Old 10-16-2003, 10:33 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug,

Just so we're clear, there is no engagement during the first 2-3 inches of clutch travel. Many new p-car drivers learn this the first time they try to drive these goofy cars. As with a normal car, they apply some gentle throttle as they ease out the clutch. Of course, since there's no engagement, the revs keep climbing so they ease off the gas just as the clutch finally grabs hold. Result: one beautifully executed stall.

When trying for a quick launch, I give the pedal a few pumps, try to hold the revs at around 2,000 rpm, then bring it back quickly--but not a complete dump--as I feed in the gas. At autocross the other day, I actually got all four wheels to spin as I shot out of the first gate.

So is what you're experiencing different from the first few inches of dead space I mentioned?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:23 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There is no difference in the operation of a RUF clutch for the DMF fitted 964 and any other clutch plate apart from how the clutch lining is attached to the plate.
Only the 1989 C4 is fitted with a rubber centred clutch plate.
Other 964s fitted with SMFs use spring centred clutch plates exclusing of course the race cars like the RS NGT which uses a specially shaped lightweight racing clutch plate.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 10-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

That is interesting though. My clutch is very heavy and I asked my shop which basically specializes in Porsche track cars and has built several 964 RS track cars about my clutch. He said it felt different than the normal 964 clutch, but that everything seemed fine and I had plnty of clutch left. This was two seeks ago.

It maybe a Ruf clutch. It does fell like the through out bearing or something is out of adjustment on it. I was told something to this effect, but my wrench said it won't hurt anything and if you would have to dissamble it to re adjust or do what ever he was talking about.

I drove the car the car today it is driving like a bat out of hell. I was hitting 5.3 0 - 60s and third gear from about 60 to 105 is incredibly fast. Feels almost like (not quiet though) my TT for that brief period between about 80 and red line in third gear.

I think as far as electronics and parts I am in great shape. I have a feeling I need a valve adjustment or I am loosing just a little bit of hp because of one or two old plugs or maybe a leak around one of the valves. Just a weird inconsistent feeling. I may be totally wrong, but I bet I will see some 5.2s after a thorough service and if I pull my sub out (50 pounds).

I have to say that I am very pleased with the 964 and like it much better than my old 88 3.2 overall.

Last edited by Doug H; 10-16-2003 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:00 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by Doug H
I was hitting 5.3 0 - 60s and third gear from about 60 to 105 is incredibly fast.
Maybe you also have a non-standard gearbox, as the top speed in 3rd is 98mph.

BTW, your signature states that you have a 'RUF cab'. Why - can you give some more details?
Old 10-17-2003, 06:24 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Christer
the top speed in 3rd is 98mph.
Out of interest what are the top speeds in each gear for a standard C2/4?
Old 10-17-2003, 08:11 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim

if you have you owners manual, there is a graph in the back pages.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by johnfm
Jim

if you have you owners manual, there is a graph in the back pages.
I had best go brush up on my German then
Old 10-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Christer
Race Car

i think from memory there is also something on www.porsche964.co.uk
Old 10-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

I'll go and have a rummage around there then, should look at his latest additions anyway.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:36 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim

its a graph - its in 'maths' not german!! Really, its just an RPM vs KM/hr plot for each gear.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember if the 105mph is the reading from the speedo it's probably about 10% faster than actual, so would be about correct.

Richard

Quick Reply: New chip, clutch and launching issues