Sponsored by:

Leak just behind front wheel???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 08:19 AM
AdrianG
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak just behind front wheel???

I own a 1991 Left Hand Drive C2. Yesterday after I drove home I stopped on an incline to open my gate and noticed a leak of some liquid just behind the drivers side front wheel. After driving onto a level area the leak stopped, but I don't know if this was because there was no more liquid, or that the ground was level.
Can anyone give me an idea of what could have leaked at this location?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 08:24 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I may be wrong, but you've got Air Con - right? I think the leak is just water/condensation from the Air Con system. Not sure if it's normal or not though, but I sometimes get it too!

Andy
Old 10-14-2003, 08:32 AM
AdrianG
6th Gear

Andy,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have air con but I wasn't using it. Could it still be condensation if it's not being used?

Adrian
Old 10-14-2003, 08:33 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If not AC, it could just be washer fluid overflowing and draining via the drain tube.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:34 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

A leak on that corner normally comes from the a/c.

I also got a leak there once, next thing I know is my a/c needed a recharge. Coincidence maybe?

Have you tested to see if your a/c is still chilling when switched on? (a bit hard to tell this time of year maybe)
Old 10-14-2003, 08:35 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It can be several things.

First of all, you need to discern what liquid/fluid this is.

The 964 has all kinds of plastic fenderwells, rocker panels and whatnot that retain water, etc. - if you just ran through a puddle, stuff gets splashed up in the various plastic pieces and can pool there until you're on an incline.

The only fluid to be concerned about if it's leaking from right behind your front wheel is on the brake fluid reservoir side, there is an overflow drain tube for the reservoir. Other than that, on the right side your oil lines run up inside the rocker panel and pull a hard 90deg. upwards and around the fenderwell to your oil cooler, so if it's oil you're seeing - check those fittings out.

Hopefully this was helpful? ...Andy may be very correct in suggesting it might be AC condensation, after all your lines run up the left side and up around the fenderwell to the condensor, very much like your oil lines do.

Certainly, make us aware of what you find out.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:45 AM
AdrianG
6th Gear

Thanks for the comments. I'll have a better look this evening, and check the a/c. It's definitely not water from a puddle as I'm in the south of France, and I haven't seen a puddle for almost a year!

Cheers
Adrian
Old 10-14-2003, 08:47 AM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi,

I had a leak there. Just a few drops - which stopped shortly after parking. It was brake fluid, and was cured by changing to a new reservoir cap

Don't know if there's any truth to this but the guy at the garage explained there was an updated part - either way, the leak disappeared.

Dave.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:55 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Washer fluid. If the neck connection to the tank from the fill inlet is not secure, the fluid flows back when accelerating and drools out into the filler area, dripping after you park. This also occurs if your cap is cracked.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:19 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Further to Fred's comment, I found I had some washer fluid leakage where the filler neck fits into the fluid reservoir. When refueling the car after some sharp turns, I would find fluid in the washer fluid/fuel neck filler area.

Open the fuelling access hatch and then look closely at the washer fluid filler neck, you will see it has a tab with a screw that secures it in place. Undo the screw and the neck lifts out.

I wrapped teflon tape (the same stuff used to seal pipe threads, plumbing etc., easily available at hardware stores) around the washer fluid neck to provide a better seal and then reinstalled it. No more fluid leakage.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:52 PM
andrew964
Instructor

as its a lhd car, this could be the Power steering rack leaking (been there done that!)
Old 10-16-2003, 12:42 AM
eddychan
Racer

Dear AdrianG,

I only spot this today and may be you have already find out about it. Any way, I would first identify what kind of fluid is leaking from the front wheel area. Dirty engine oil, red colour oil, light brown oil, water or light clear oil or even oily water ? Until you know what it is then you know more about it and then search where it is coming from and under what situation.
I agree to many 964ers here;
1. If it is a clear oil or oily water, it MUST be the air con, there is mineral oil inside the Porsche system to lubricate the gaskets.
2. If it is red colour oil then it MUST be power steering leak.
3. If it is dirty oil brownish colour then it could either be engine oil or brake fluid and that is more difficult.

You must identify which one first before you can do any thing. Try to put a clean A3 size white paper underneath after you finish your trip is a good idae.

Good Luck!

Eddie
91 C-2
Old 10-16-2003, 04:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Dave,
The Carrera 2s received a slightly modified brake fluid reservoir in 1991. The C4s just had the cap replaced. The brake fluid venting was changed.
Everyone missed one other possible source. Battery acid. If the installed battery is vented and it is connected fluid from an overcharged battery will be routed to the little overflow jar on the left side and if enough pressure is excerted this fluid can be forced into the outflow pipe. Most 964s no longer use vented batteries but anyone in concours events will use them.
The most common source of fluid will be from a leaking gasket in the water tank in either the headlight or windshield pump areas.
Of course it helps to identify the fluid so we are all guessing.
The rain and condensation drains are also on the left side.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: Leak just behind front wheel???