Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When starting car, I heard loud pop, intake manifold comes disconnected from motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:14 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Visual sign would be disconnecting the vacuum line that connects to the plenum and observing to see if it burps fuel.
Are you referring to the little line that connects to the Y hose up top? I disconnected that and it looks dry.

There appears to be a small amount (more on the driver side) of what smells like fuel. I cannot identify the source. The #1 injector/manifold area looks far worse than others.

Here is my #1 injector/manifold:
Name:  IMG_0901_zpswvjbpbys.jpg
Views: 2356
Size:  135.1 KB

A new idea: I've heard a leaky injector could cause issues with overly powerful ignitions.

I am going to do the FPR later this week when it arrives, but would replacing the #1 injector be overkill or just a bad idea of replacing only one?

Sorry for all the noob questions, I'm new to these issues and areas of the engine, but am really enjoying the process.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Instead on replacing an injector, have them rebuilt by a company like Witch Hunter.
http://www.witchhunter.com
Old 05-09-2016, 11:18 AM
jeanhules
Banned

Instead on replacing an injector, have them rebuilt by a company like Witch Hunter.
http://www.witchhunter.com
That's a great idea. I will do that. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:56 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Another issue you might be having is the fuel pressure regulator is starting to fail and dumping fuel into the intake plenum. To troubleshoot, follow the vacuum hose from the FPR to the plenum. Disconnect at the plenum and watch to see if the vacuum line burps fuel. You might have to sit there and watch it for a little while as the car idles.
So since the manifold was pretty much disconnected on the driver side, I took it out and took some pictures. I looks like there is some fuel and what looks to be some oil

But Vandit could be right. I'm not sure where the oil could be coming from, but luckily I have a FPR coming this week.

Has anyone ever seen something like this?

Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That actually doesn't look bad at all as far as the intake is concerned. Mine was a little dirtier, but I've seen photos of some that are really bad.

Originally Posted by jeanhules
So since the manifold was pretty much disconnected on the driver side, I took it out and took some pictures. I looks like there is some fuel and what looks to be some oil

But Vandit could be right. I'm not sure where the oil could be coming from, but luckily I have a FPR coming this week.

Has anyone ever seen something like this?

Last edited by Super90; 05-09-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil in the intake is pretty common; it gets pulled in by the oil vapor recovery system.

On my car if I keep the oil much above .25" the bottom of the dipstick a lot more oil gets pulled into the intake.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:45 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Ok.

So an update, I replaced the FPR and had my injectors cleaned/serviced. They shop found that two injectors were very clogged, which would cause the leak... So I put everything back together and no leaks or anything, BUT now the car starts for a split second and then dies.

From what I've read, this is caused by over pressured lines, which could be caused by a bad FPR, but given that I just replaced it, could it be caused by something else? Is there a way to depressurize the lines?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

did you replace the distributor correctly? it is easy to be off by one tooth and car will run but like ****.. ask me how i know...

the distributor advances slightly on install so the adjustment needs to be made prior to assembly...
Old 05-16-2016, 10:38 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
did you replace the distributor correctly? it is easy to be off by one tooth and car will run but like ****.. ask me how i know...

the distributor advances slightly on install so the adjustment needs to be made prior to assembly...

Hmm. So I removed the distributor as it looked to be off set a little. So I rotated the motor to TDC #1 and set the distributor rotors to the correct locations (followed the image below)

but now the car just cranks but will not turn over. Before it would start and die, not it wont even start.

Any ideas? I am open to anything.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:15 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

How did you find TDC? The crank pulley marking? And you rotated the motor to Z1 w/o the distributor on the car?

The crank rotates twice for every one time the distributor is on those marks. Perhaps your distributor is off by one whole crank rotation?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 AM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is a slippery slope. When troubleshooting you can't do too many things at once because you won't know what worked or what you messed up. Now you are chasing your own tail.
You need to confirm you are at TDC. We normally use the distributor as an indicator to confirm TDC, but yours is out of wack, so Another way is to check the piston through the spark plug hole.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:03 AM
jeanhules
Banned

Yep, I agree. And trust me I want nothing more than to fix my car and maybe help someone in the future with my same issue.

As an update, I did have the motor set at the Z1 mark, but a whole rotation off. Now the car kind of start but sputters and either revs high or dies. Good thing is I have a check engine light so I am going to hook it up to a diagnostic tool and see whats up.

I feel like I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:44 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like this thread. You should take a look.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:24 AM
leonardo72
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once the intake is off the regulator is easy accessible.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

just reading old thread.

@jeanhules... did you fix your ignition issues? and back fire issues causing the manifold to pop off?

Quick Reply: When starting car, I heard loud pop, intake manifold comes disconnected from motor