Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redoing 964 Interiors

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I was not thinking about the legal ramifications, just safety. Perhaps I am unusual, but if I were spending $500K on a car, I would want to know that it had been extensively safety tested. Notwithstanding, if Singer took out the airbags, are they not responsible for replacing them? Also, does anyone know (by actual testing and empirical, verifiable data) if Singer's complete replacement of, as I understand it, almost every piece of the car with new and, they claim, almost always enhanced (i.e., "reimagined") parts, has altered the safety of the cars?
Old 04-19-2016, 05:07 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I was not thinking about the legal ramifications, just safety. Perhaps I am unusual, but if I were spending $500K on a car, I would want to know that it had been extensively safety tested. Notwithstanding, if Singer took out the airbags, are they not responsible for replacing them? Also, does anyone know (by actual testing and empirical, verifiable data) if Singer's complete replacement of, as I understand it, almost every piece of the car with new and, they claim, almost always enhanced (i.e., "reimagined") parts, has altered the safety of the cars?
*VERY* valid questions.
But then, I am also the kind that wants to know whether headlight improvements are legal...
Old 04-19-2016, 09:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
I have been asking the same questions since the beginning. Be careful you may get labeled as a singer hater like me. LOL

FYI. I have hundreds of assorted brass grommets dating back to the 50's. better quality than most I see today. I don't know what to do with them if anyone is interested I might be willing to let them go for a small price.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who makes the best interior carpet? Appbiz makes a lightweight RS version, will that allow me to keep my rear seats?

What did our cars come with? i.e. I see names being thrown around like 'Plush', 'Perlon Felt', 'Silverknit'....any idea of what the big diff is?

Thanks guys
Old 04-19-2016, 10:34 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hockenheimr
Who makes the best interior carpet? Appbiz makes a lightweight RS version, will that allow me to keep my rear seats?

What did our cars come with? i.e. I see names being thrown around like 'Plush', 'Perlon Felt', 'Silverknit'....any idea of what the big diff is?

Thanks guys
Correct carpets are expensive and much better than any of aftermarket versions. I'd give Tony at Autobahn interiors a call. You may be able to buy them from Porsche - I've never shopped for a set for a 964.

Phil
Old 04-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Cobalt -- I am absolutely not a Singer hater. I think that they are the very best tuner car marketeers I have ever seen. And the fact that they are getting $500K or more for, essentially, a 964 with some largely cosmetic modifications such as nickel plating (which, in my experience, cost less than chrome plating), good paint and upholstery jobs (though some wonder if certain of the leathers they are using are durable enough for automotive use) and carbon fiber body panels from Aria which make it resemble, but not be, a 1970's Porsche, an Ed Pink engine (and, yes, they "weigh the con rods" as would any decent engine builder"), optionally a Porsche six speed gearbox with altered ratios, 993 new front uprights, other "off road" suspension components from E.R.P., new dampers/springs, etc., stand testimony to their brilliant sales skills. And, indeed, the $1 million dollar car that they are currently marketing will also, no doubt, be a marketing tour de force. Nonetheless, for myself, I would still much prefer a true 964, complete with airbags and crash testing, perhaps upgraded suspension from E.R.P., new upholstery and paint – and still have $400,000 left to spare (with which I would buy both a new 991.2 Targa 4S and a 991.2 GT3 RS).

Quick Reply: Redoing 964 Interiors