Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BDC 964 C4 build and intro - wide body, airride & other madness.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:22 PM
bdc1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BDC 964 C4 build and intro - wide body, airride & other madness.

I figured its about time to make an introduction for my 964 as its already back on the road after spending countless hours and graveyard shifts in my garage.

Firstly, I'm sure the project will divide opinions and I'm fine with that I'm building it for myself to enjoy, and while some choices might be quite unorthodox, I have tried not to compromise driveability nor quality when it comes to the parts or work. It was also important for me to do every bit of work myself.

As a short intro since I'm fairly new here, I'm based in northern Europe and my background is mostly in VAG cars. I've had about a dozen or so VW's and Audi's in the past, both projects and daily drivers, old and new. Just to mention, one of my favorites has probably been my S4 2.7 biT which I had around 06-08..

I've owned one Porsche prior to the 964, an '87 Carrera which I actually only had for half a year before a friend of mine wanted to buy it from me, and since I had originally tip toed between that and a 964, I went ahead and switched. The 3.2 was a great car with a very raw feel, which I liked, but at the same time I was longing for some of the modernized elements of the 964, particularly the suspension.

I sold the '87 last fall and right away started looking for a new one. In December I found a neat C4 from Germany which had recently been imported from the US. For those that are not familiar with the market here, there are quite a bit of imported (or re-imported, I guess) 911's from various corners of the world, particularly the US and Asia. I've seen several from even Dubai show up on mobile.de. My '87 was sold as new in Florida and the C4 came from California, both had been imported back to Germany.

Any way, back to the C4, it was in very good condition and stock apart from some unknown ecu upgrade and exhaust. The previous owner which was a small private Porsche shop had gone through the engine prior to selling it.

I got the car this january and put some winter tyres on it, though it has spent about 95% of the past 6 months in the workshop.

Already since I started looking for one, I had a pretty good idea what I wanted to do with it. I love wide body 911's and also dig some more extreme ones such as RWB, but didn't want to go that far. Doing a regular turbo body was one option but I wanted something a bit different. Fibre glass parts on a car like this didn't feel right to me, so I decided to do something I haven't seen done much if at all; I went with OEM turbo parts including metal fenders, but bolted them on instead of welding.

There was quite a bit figuring out to do in regards to mounting the flares which probably aren't intended to go over the existing arches, even if they are cut off. Turbo side skirts aren't bolt on either as the hardware is different and required modification. If there is interest, I can go through the process a bit more in detail.

I wanted the car to be low and wanted the best possible combination of performance and practicality (while being able to get to my home garage) so I decided to do an airride setup. I went with AirRex struts which should be among the best in terms of quality and performance, I've seen them perform well on the track too. The struts were paired with AccuAir e-level management and an otherwise custom built setup.

On the engine side, at this point the upgrades have been very modest, first order of business was getting rid of the unknown chip which I suspect was one reason for idle problems. I got new software from FVD and installed it along with a modified airbox + MAF and a 100 cell sport cat + cup pipe. Along the way I struggled with some power steering issues and ended up replacing a couple of leaky hoses after getting the hydraulic fluids on my garage floor a couple of times.

As of today, I've finished all the above mentioned and the car is back on the street. Right now I'm waiting for new wheels to arrive (hopefully in a week or so), the current ones look rather sad even with ridicilous spacers... After that I want to keep it out of the garage for a bot.

Finally, some photos from along the way:

Turbo body parts

First test fit of the fender

Front fender and bumper fitting

Modifying some parts to fit

Bodywork finished

Suspension work

Quick exhaust upgrade

And as of today, still looking sad with the wheels, suspension at garage-entrance-height:

Last edited by bdc1; 06-08-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:38 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks great!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome build. I'm sure a lot of people will hate the airride setup, but i dig it. Bodywork is wild. Can't wait to see the wheels.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:37 AM
StopLookGo
Instructor

Been waiting for this thread
Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Loopy
Advanced

Great progress! Can't wait to see what's next
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StopLookGo
Been waiting for this thread
+1
Originally Posted by Loopy
Great progress! Can't wait to see what's next
+1

What wheels are you going with? What specs? Or is that a big secret? Nonetheless, love the direction you went with this build. The exposed bolts on the flares gives it that aggressive RWB look but using OEM makes it streetable and not so flashy. Love the combo!!! Something I'd like to explore one day.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
bdc1
Instructor

thanks guys

wheels will be Rotiform LHR's in 17" with hidden hardware in a special finish, I'm crossing my fingers that I got the sizing right but it should be quite agressive with moderately stretched tyres. I see a lot of 18's on low 964's but I wanted to have just a bit more tyre on them, hopefully it was the right choice. I should have them as soon, been waiting 3x as long as I should've but thats how it usually is with them....

I also happened to find a set of Strosek spec OZ Futuras which I got for pretty cheap on Ebay. They are in need of paint but will be my secondary set and its starting to look like I will have them before the Rotiforms anyway...
Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I think the 17" are going to look great, can't wait to see it
Old 06-09-2014, 04:11 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I suppose this belongs here,

Old 06-09-2014, 06:19 PM
bdc1
Instructor

I've read about that car, if I remember correctly its on some fully custom hydraulic suspension setup. Can't say that I'm too familiar how something like that performs.

I can promise there won't be any neon lights on mine
Old 06-24-2014, 05:39 PM
bdc1
Instructor

Finally got the wheels, really happy with how they turned out. Now I just need small spacers but I'm afraid I have to change the studs to longer ones before I can do that.. Also need to adjust front camber as I haven't touched it since the suspension installation.

Just one garage shot so far because it was pouring outside:

Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks awesome from what i can see. Can't wait to see pics in better lighting.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was waiting for this update!!! Love those wheels and your car! +1 on more pics. How is the fitment? What wheels size did you go with and ET? Look like you can go a little bigger on the tires to fill out the arches. The added spacers and bigger tires will be perfect!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM
minhnugen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Impressive work!!!
Would love to see that bodywork close up. I thought about doing the Turbo wide body like yours. Bolt on instead of weld. But I don't have ***** of steel.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:03 PM
bdc1
Instructor

thanks!

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
Was waiting for this update!!! Love those wheels and your car! +1 on more pics. How is the fitment? What wheels size did you go with and ET? Look like you can go a little bigger on the tires to fill out the arches. The added spacers and bigger tires will be perfect!
wheels are 10x17" ET-10 and 9x10" ET25, there is a bit of leeway on both ends, need to run about 10mm spacers to make them perfectly flush. should also make them fill the arches a bit better when there is less gap, though the side shot kind of distorts the size, here is another angle:

I will see about tire size once the ET is right but I think these will look pretty good

Originally Posted by minhnugen
Impressive work!!!
Would love to see that bodywork close up. I thought about doing the Turbo wide body like yours. Bolt on instead of weld. But I don't have ***** of steel.
I will try and remember to take some closeups

Quick Reply: BDC 964 C4 build and intro - wide body, airride & other madness.