heel toe and stock pedal box

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:36 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default heel toe and stock pedal box

All:

The pedal offset in my 964 isn't to my liking. I don't mean side to side - but depth. The middle of the gas pedal is about 3" more recessed than my brake making it next to impossible for me to heel toe. I have looked for adjustments to either sink the brake pedal further back or bring the top of the gas pedal further forward. Is there a straight forward adjustment here without just bolting a pad onto the gas pedal?

I recognize that I habitually use the side of my foot more than my heel for the gas, so maybe this is just a personal adjustment I need to make to how I drive the car?

Matt
Old 04-15-2016, 12:55 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heel/toe'd since high school when I learned on an 88 Alfa spider. I've always used the side of my foot to blip... There is no right/wrong way- so long as it works for you and is natural and consistent.

I've never driven a stock car with 3 pedals I can't heel/toe. I think a lot of drivers overthink this.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:03 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Matt, every serious sports car I have ever seen features a brake pedal a few inches higher than the gas pedal. Typically when you’re rocketing towards corner 3 on some local track you’re going to need to really stand on the brakes, get the car to turn-in, and desperately pull off a perfect (heel toe) rev match so you don’t get a jolt of extra engine braking to upset the balance of a car on the edge of traction.

It’s at this point that you realize that you are mashing the brake pedal so hard that the gas and brake pedals are now perfectly at the same height to facilitate an ideal heel and toe brake, shift and rev match.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:05 PM
Essex
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi. I also blip the throttle with the side of my foot. Good shoes help a lot.
When you take out the pedal box completely, you can adjust the brake and throttle to get the right heights relative to each other. Works well.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'm not new to heel toe mechanics. This isn't a "how to" question. My question is more related to the adjustability of the stock pedals. Yes, the gas pedal should be recessed behind the brake, but I don't like how far the 964 stock pedal is recessed. This may just be personal preference.

Essex- do I have to take the pedal box out, or just take off the cover to fiddle with it? Is the adjustment obvious?
Old 04-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

If you don't hate the fact that the gas pedal of way too far to the right, and you just need it higher....grab the top of the pedal and pull out hard. It'll pop off the shaft. Un do the lock nut and make the shaft longer. Pop it back on.

Otherwise buy a rennline adjustable pedal. Or do as we are and let Hargett know that there is a market for their adjustable pedal which they recently stopped making- that was the best pedal on the market for heal and toe- by a mile. Love mine.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

just pull? Any time I pull hard on this car some old piece of plastic just snaps. ha. I'll check out the hargett pedal as well. thanks for the info.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:07 PM
motts
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
If you don't hate the fact that the gas pedal of way too far to the right, and you just need it higher....grab the top of the pedal and pull out hard. It'll pop off the shaft. Un do the lock nut and make the shaft longer. Pop it back on.

Otherwise buy a rennline adjustable pedal. Or do as we are and let Hargett know that there is a market for their adjustable pedal which they recently stopped making- that was the best pedal on the market for heal and toe- by a mile. Love mine.
Can you post a link of the pedal set. Not sure which you are referring to. I have a 1990c2.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:12 PM
Goughary
Race Car

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-in-964-a.html
Old 04-16-2016, 06:22 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with the OP; seems like the stock setup was NOT designed with heel/toe in mind.

Which does seem damned odd.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:17 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems with the stock pedal box here as long as you use your heel, really doesnt work for me using the side of your foot. Probably helps for me having size ten feet, any bigger and im sure it would be hard work.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Goughary-

Thanks for the link. If I want to try and make due by adjusting the pedal, is it designed for me to yank on it to pop it free to try and extend the arm with the lock nut adjustment you mention above? The gas pedal is one of the last things I want to accidentally brake on the car.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:37 AM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For what its worth I got the heal toe extension for the gas pedal and then adjusted it to sit almost an inch higher and it was pretty easy to heel toe.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Don't worry about breaking it. Pull on the top and it pops off the shaft. If you break it, call me. I have an old used one around somewhere. But I'm sure it won't break. Cuz they don't.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:25 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^ the issue with adjusting this to move the pedal out more is that it increases the throw of the pedal before it hits the end stop. This results in strain being taken by the throttle cable and the throttle body. This screw is used to adjust the pedal so that with it flat against the end stop the throttle is fully open without the mech being under strain. What you should be doing is padding out the pedal to move the contact point.

Quick Reply: heel toe and stock pedal box