Sponsored by:

Hargett Gas Pedal install in 964

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Hargett Gas Pedal install in 964

I was looking into upgrading my pedal, and didn't want just an over-lay pedal since the Original Porsche pedal is a piece of garbage - Functional, but garbage. So I was looking at the Hargett adjustable pedal and both pelican's site and Hargett's site say it is good through 1988 911's. I called and asked why...

Long and the short of it is they hadn't yet installed one in a 964. Nice thing is they sent me one to try out and see if it works...

All I needed to do was to cut the threaded pushrod shaft that it came with down by approx 3 cm (using the stock ball socket from the original pushrod), turn the bottom mount around to face the other direction (964 pedal has bolts in the back. And 930 pedal has them in the front). Then cut a small piece of the floorboard behind the pedal to make room for the bottom-most aluminum adjustment rod, (only necessary if you have the pedal adjusted as far back as it goes, which I think worked best in my case for mostly street driving). And done.

I wasn't expecting as good a result as I got. The pedal feels great. Since it's all aluminum and bolted to the floor, you get much better feel than with the plastic stock pedal. And heel and toe is effortless to be smooth. Stock pedal is too far away and too far back.

When is "1001 projects for your Porsche 964" coming out? Or "1001 projects and 100,001 dollars later my 964 was just right"....

Many thanks to Hargett. Great product.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Here is the pic of the finished product..
Attached Images  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Inquiring minds would like to know why the original Porsche pedal is "garbage".

Been stompin' on them since the seventies and ain't had a problem yet....
Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Goughary
Race Car

"garbage" is relative... Yes they seem to last and work fine. Correct. But. Still too far to the right and too far back. And better feel from the Hargett pedal by a mile. needed? Maybe maybe not. But, I am much happier with the new pedal.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:28 PM
KaiB
Banned

S'pose I don't drive well enoug to feel the diference...
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Me neither...lol...but it sure feels fun...

On a serious note the big improvement is in pedal placement for heal and toe-ing...just makes it so much easier to downshift while on the brakes. I wish something like this came stock...
Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

In this vein, if you remove the rubber pad from the brake pedal you may feel an improvement in brake feel.

The steel below is serrated.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM
KaiB
Banned

What's a heal and toe?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Cup car- yes, correct that they were serrated, but I needed to replace my clutch pedal and the new one is not. Just smooth steel. Further, I like the grip on the brake and clutch. When I got the car, that last owner had put rennline aluminum over-lays and I didn't like them at all. I would like a harder rubber though. The new Porsche pads on there now are super soft. I want a pad like the 928 pads. Maybe I can modify mine a bit and shave them down a little so the aren't so sloppy.

I'd also like to replace the bushings in the pedal cluster with bronze which will also improve the feedback a bit as well. But that's another pre 964 thing as well. The kits that are out there are for the previous pedal cluster. Looks like I need to take some measurements on mine if I ever happen to have it out again and look though the mcmaster Carr catalog for the right flanged bushings. (have already replaced the old bushings and the roll pin on the clutch pedal)- so probably won't need it out for a long time, I hope...anyway, I know this all sounds pretty minor, and it is...but some of these little things make a nice difference without a huge effort.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
I'd also like to replace the bushings in the pedal cluster with bronze which will also improve the feedback a bit as well. But that's another pre 964 thing as well. The kits that are out there are for the previous pedal cluster. Looks like I need to take some measurements on mine if I ever happen to have it out again and look though the mcmaster Carr catalog for the right flanged bushings. (have already replaced the old bushings and the roll pin on the clutch pedal)- so probably won't need it out for a long time, I hope...anyway, I know this all sounds pretty minor, and it is...but some of these little things make a nice difference without a huge effort.
If you find the bearings that fit the pedal cluster, post the part numbers and source please.

I am replacing not only the pedal bushings, but the bushings and pivot bolts in the bell crank assembly leading to the master cylinder which are replaceable as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Will do, and if you get your stuff done, post some pics and info...

Quick Reply: Hargett Gas Pedal install in 964