Sponsored by:

RWB Brooklyn

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:01 PM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoges
1. Not a paying crowd. I can confirm - I was there.

2. Not your car, not your problem. Let other people do what they want. Nobody is cutting up the Mona Lisa here. Plenty of 964's to go around and for everyone to do with what they please. Didn't realize Rennlist became ComplaintsList

3. As a "purist," you must also hate the 993 GT2 with its bolt on fenders.

4. The majority of RWB owners revisit the exposed metal and treat it to prevent rust issues. How do I know? I own an RWB. The white car you see next to the car being built in the video is mine. A note about the unpainted fender wells - this car was not color sanded nor finally polished, among other outstanding items. As you can tell, there is a lot of "unhealthy" treatment of the paint during the build. After this, the car goes back to the body shop, is touched up, final areas are finished, and the remaining cut and polish is performed.

Now, for those who are going to tell me I'm a sacrilegious Porsche owner and don't understand Porsche, I also own a '73 T, GT4, 991 GT3, stock '91 964, etc... Both the GT4/GT3 see track time. Skinny cars, wide cars, bolted on fenders, I love them all. They all have their purpose and individuality. RWB is something you choose because you personally enjoy the build. If you can't appreciate the individuality that a true enthusiast strives for, then you're no Porsche purist, you're a curmudgeon. Life is too short to constrain your taste to appease everyone else, Porsche has always been about modular modification and personalization of your own car. My RWB features a more than generous dose of chassis work including 993 RS Uprights, tie rods, sway bars, all monoball bushings, Brembo 6piston race kit, etc... etc.. And a 3.8 is in the works for the car.

/Rant
Its an internet forum, and armchair gangstas will always complain and b1tch. At the end of the day, you do what makes you happy. Like I stated above, I view his work as art, and treat it as such. Its no longer a 964, but an RWB.

I find it hilarious that people will **** on his work, but will lust over a 993 EVO.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ekoges,

Last I knew we still live in the good old USA and are allowed to express our opinions. I'm sorry that some opinions here may have hurt your feelings being that you are financially and emotionally invested in one of these. If you are happy, good for you. That's all that matters. Pretty f'd up that considering the cost of his work, the owner is left to fend for the integrity of the steel that he has modified. That's tough to defend from a craftsmanship perspective.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 PM
ekoges
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschenut_Lee
ekoges,

Last I knew we still live in the good old USA and are allowed to express our opinions. I'm sorry that some opinions here may have hurt your feelings being that you are financially and emotionally invested in one of these. If you are happy, good for you. That's all that matters. Pretty f'd up that considering the cost of his work, the owner is left to fend for the integrity of the steel that he has modified. That's tough to defend from a craftsmanship perspective.
No feelings hurt, I don't take any of this personally. If I did, I wouldn't have any fun building or driving cars.

The cost of the work, in comparison to a many body kits on today's market is honestly not that bad, especially considering it includes Nakai flying to you (anywhere in the world) to assemble the kit himself. It doesn't take much to undercoat that area touched.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you guys might have.

Cheers to individuality, personality, and most of all actually DRIVING your cars!

Old 03-26-2016, 11:27 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ekoges, I've always been curious if you think that a 3.8 can really take advantage of the wider tires and wider track of the car. Seems that to really justify the build and make use of the extra width, that you'd need some type of turbo power otherwise even a 3.8 won't make much torque down low to really need the extra traction of a 13" rear tire. Seems like it would be disadvantageous even to a 3.8L build. Not criticizing. Just trying to think logically about it. Talk us through it!
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

How did the 993 GT2 get brought into this comparison? That car was built for one purpose - and it wasn't to pose as some cool trend. It was built to perform. I think people would be more open to the RWB if there was performance intent (I know some do) or if there was true craftsmanship. Im not a fan of Singer but appreciate the craftsmanship. People also get tired of the statements like "last true coach builder" and whatever other stupid unwarranted compliments are thrown at that guy. I just don't get it.
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

I'd like to hear about the driving differences btw your stock 964, and the gt3 and your rwb...

Not ripping on your car...but honestly have never spoken to anyone that owns all these different cars...care to share the differences in hard driving? How is the rwb on a track.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:37 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ what he said. Would love to hear your opinion. Like is aid before, and had in my build thread, I seriously considered having a RWB built, but ultimately decided I wasn't willing to sacrifice driving dynamics for looks. Had anyone who owns a RWB weighed in with their own experience I'm sure I could have been swayed. I felt that 13 inch wide rear wheels and maybe 300hp (never going to turbo my car) wasn't the right approach for me.

Happy to hear no one paid to be there.. But an eventbrite ticketing system certainly had the looks of a paid event.

Seriously though.. Whoever wrote the "last true coach builder line" isn't fooling anyone. These cars are awesome, but coach work is a stretch.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:50 PM
ekoges
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
Ekoges, I've always been curious if you think that a 3.8 can really take advantage of the wider tires and wider track of the car. Seems that to really justify the build and make use of the extra width, that you'd need some type of turbo power otherwise even a 3.8 won't make much torque down low to really need the extra traction of a 13" rear tire. Seems like it would be disadvantageous even to a 3.8L build. Not criticizing. Just trying to think logically about it. Talk us through it!
The simple answer to this is yes. I've driven a buddies 3.8 RWB and it was plenty fast. The goal here is not ridiculous acceleration; rather enough pep to get the fat *** moving and have s’more fun. I’m not a turbo guy, and never will be. NA feel > Big horsepower

Originally Posted by Goughary
I'd like to hear about the driving differences btw your stock 964, and the gt3 and your rwb...

Not ripping on your car...but honestly have never spoken to anyone that owns all these different cars...care to share the differences in hard driving? How is the rwb on a track.
Hmmm, differences…where to start? They are all such different cars. The GT3 is a precision machine. It is built for one purpose only – to go fast. If you’re keen on bragging about your lap times at your local track day, this is the car for you. If you’re the nostalgic kind to complain about the lack of manual transmission and enjoy rowing your own gears, get the GT4. That is not to say that I don’t love the GT3…it’s one mean machine and nothing beats the sensation of driving a 911 hard. But, the GT4 for me brings back the driver involvement and pure sensation of “fun” that we crave in a car.

The stock 964 is a stock 964, nothing out of the ordinary. The quick answer is that it retains the joy of an aircooled 911, with the refined touch of ‘90s technology. It is more “comfortable” to drive than an early car, and the feel due to the shifter position and throws is more akin to a modern car than any previous 911.

Now, the RWB. This car took a lot of time, effort, and money to get “right.” I’m very particular with the way cars are set up. Chassis work is the single most important aspect of a build. It’s what gets you through the canyons or around a track, not just horsepower alone. You can also have the most impressive list of parts in your car, but without being properly set up, it’s worth nothing. Shameless plug here for Joey Seely at E-motion Engineering for dialing in the RWB and all of my other cars. As I like to say, Joey took my cars from butter knifes to scalpels.

As far as the feel, I would say its extremely direct, extremely sticky (obviously), predictable, and very fun to drive. The car has evolved quite a bit since build day, and the whole heap of parts and set up time in the car was really worth it. I’ve had many friends and well-versed Porsche people drive the car, and everyone agrees that it surprises them with its drivability and proper feel. I regularly have it up in the canyons, but have yet to take it to the track. Soon, its day will come.

Side note: the Eventbrite was an effort to organize and plan, as The Drive was kind enough to roast a pig, and prepare drinks etc. for attendees. Needed a head count!
Old 03-27-2016, 03:44 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Delete/ Happy Easter to those who observe the holiday. Rgds/

Last edited by Tmistry; 03-27-2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:27 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ekoges thanks for the insight. Nice to hear from an actual owner. Sounds like I expected.. You get out of it what you put into it, and no two are alike.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:48 AM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts

I feel like an RWB car with an oem powertrain feels like a 4 stroke go kart
Old 03-27-2016, 07:36 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
so this is a thing thats actually happening right now.
Nakai is building a car in brooklyn in front of a paying crowd. the build is being broadcast live on youtbe. the eventbrte listning for the event says ( and this is a direct quote)

Nakai-San, the last true coach builder, comes to new york city for the first time to creat RWB Brooklyn.- the first RWB designed for a female enthusiast"
seriously? the last true coach builder? who comes up with this stuff?
I have seen him referred to as 'The butcher of Chiba' on social media for all the 964's he has hacked up.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g60pops
I have seen him referred to as 'The butcher of Chiba' on social media for all the 964's he has hacked up.
Last time I checked, he doesn't own the cars. So that means someone paid for the 964's with their own money, which makes them the owners. Also, the owners contact him and request that he do this to their cars... They even pay for his airfare. How is he the butcher? Plus, if all the 964's in the world were destroyed tomorrow except mine, that would make it extremely valuable. So he is making original 964's more valuable.

This forum has old people, young people. People from the country, people from the city. People who race, people who just drive on the street. People who are concerned with weight, others not concerned. People who like low riders, people who don't. People who like coupes, people who like Targas ( Jerry should start a telethon for Targa people.lol) My point being... Everything is not to everyone's liking, but it's not suppose to be.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Another one bites the dust.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Coach builder, lol.

Quick Reply: RWB Brooklyn