Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWB Brooklyn

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:56 PM
DontLift
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 24 Posts

I respect everyone's opinions - whether purist or mod-crazy - or just casual. I have a very original 73 Carrera RS - a 550 Spyder, a 57 Speedster - a Carrera GT, 918, Love Porsches - Even though I have other cars, Porsches are near and dear to me. As the son of a Dad who worked three jobs to support me and my three siblings, I am very lucky indeed.

My '73 RS is Black with Red Fuchs and Houndstooth seats and ..... Not surprisingly, so is this RWB Brooklyn - Yup, the RWB Brooklyn is mine - WOW? Not really -

People who know me know I am virtually 100 percent purist and the passion for Porsche runs deep. That is why I wanted Nakai to build an RWB for me. It is a celebration by an artist of the 911 form to me. The head of marketing at Porsche with whom I have had many a discussion about Singer and RWB knows that the 911 DNA - in any form, runs deep.

This was an event with and by friends - The Folks at The Drive were kind enough to provide the space and food and people, and awesome attitude - and the food and everything was free.. We had folks from 8 months to 80 years old - men, women, every socio-economic group, rich and aspiring working class -- Celebrating.

FWIW, the car was painted, but still raw - we have a lot more finishing work to be done, the least of which starts with the raw edges..... Wrecking a 964? I wouldn't own a stock one :-) And If I did, would putting in coil over and punching the engine to 3.8 and doing other mods be bad - maybe, but most are done that way.....

Oh, I have a 991 GT3RS - and a Boxster Spyder - I prefer the Spyder every day - more passion - more fun - like my 57 Speedster ... or my Carrera GT

Just saying……

Last edited by DontLift; 03-27-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: c
Old 03-27-2016, 01:35 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I like most RWBs. For example I love RWB Hollywood because it is has the performance to match the looks! Also it's looks so damn clean. Also, I love all IROC cars so I'm liking RWB Brooklyn. However, not to be that guy but Nakai-San is by far not "the LAST TRUE coach builder". There are still coach builders out there. Here are just a few: http://independentmotors.net/11-mode...rs-ultra-rich/
Also visit: www.coachbuild.com
Truth be told, by definition he is not a TRUE coach builder. Merriam-Webster defines Coachbuilding as the design and manufacture of automobile bodies.

Nevertheless, I still find what he does impressive. Also: to Stef^ the car looks great! Thank you for giving some background to the build.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,103 Posts

To each their own candidly. Not my thing but... I saw this car prior to the rwb treatment and honestly it's in better shape now.

The Hollywood car has a real chassis setup, having ridden in it its nice. Motor is stock. The Brooklyn car just had dampers at the moment. Motor was sealed but stock iirc.

These cars are definitely more show than go. If you want high level refined build with the performance to match you're talking a $250k build. (40k donor 40k paint and body 25k chassi 60k motor 15k trans 25k interior... And more)

I'd love to see someone do a real one, like a gamroth quality build with super wide body.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:21 PM
BBiAutosport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 552 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
and bbi ( even though its a new york car?)
We assisted with the mechanical aspects of this build and then it was transported to New York. The owner of the car travels back and forth regularly.

Originally Posted by ekoges
1. Not a paying crowd. I can confirm - I was there.

2. Not your car, not your problem. Let other people do what they want. Nobody is cutting up the Mona Lisa here. Plenty of 964's to go around and for everyone to do with what they please. Didn't realize Rennlist became ComplaintsList

3. As a "purist," you must also hate the 993 GT2 with its bolt on fenders.

4. The majority of RWB owners revisit the exposed metal and treat it to prevent rust issues. How do I know? I own an RWB. The white car you see next to the car being built in the video is mine. A note about the unpainted fender wells - this car was not color sanded nor finally polished, among other outstanding items. As you can tell, there is a lot of "unhealthy" treatment of the paint during the build. After this, the car goes back to the body shop, is touched up, final areas are finished, and the remaining cut and polish is performed.

Now, for those who are going to tell me I'm a sacrilegious Porsche owner and don't understand Porsche, I also own a '73 T, GT4, 991 GT3, stock '91 964, etc... Both the GT4/GT3 see track time. Skinny cars, wide cars, bolted on fenders, I love them all. They all have their purpose and individuality. RWB is something you choose because you personally enjoy the build. If you can't appreciate the individuality that a true enthusiast strives for, then you're no Porsche purist, you're a curmudgeon. Life is too short to constrain your taste to appease everyone else, Porsche has always been about modular modification and personalization of your own car. My RWB features a more than generous dose of chassis work including 993 RS Uprights, tie rods, sway bars, all monoball bushings, Brembo 6piston race kit, etc... etc.. And a 3.8 is in the works for the car.

/Rant

Ekoges, Your car looks great while it was at the Pelican Parts event

Bringing Passion, Artistry, Craft to the Porsche Tuning Industry
Southern California's Porsche Performance Tuning, Engine Development,
ECU Software Tuning, Custom Fabrication, Race Preparation & Factory Service Center
Website: www.bbiautosport.com Email: sales@bbiautosport.com Phone: (714) 843-0200
Follow Us On: Facebook & Instagram
Old 03-27-2016, 04:28 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I attended the event yesterday, it was quite an experience especially considering that I've been following his builds for a few years already. Like some more than most, dislike others, thats life. I came in the morning for a little while, spoke to ekoges a bit about his suspension setup and then came back in evening for the first drive. Ekoges' RWB is probably the ideal proportion size and just reminds me of the 964 RSRs. Plus the wheels and stance is so top notch. Maybe one day if Ekoges come back he can take me for a ride.

The /Drive | TheDrive event was very welcoming and a good, new, location in Industrial Brooklyn, despite the roads around there being completely awful. But it was also good publicity for them as well, they host the build while switching from youtube to facebook streaming, getting more viewers, etc. Overall it was a smart move for them. Plus I got to briefly speak to a few of the people behind /Drive so that was also pretty cool.

Although I don't think the live feed was that great of showing how Nakai does what he does, but he was really meticulous about it, and was not phased by all the crowds of people who kept coming in waves. Personally I wouldn't have agreed to work in front of that many people, but I assume it was because the car took longer to finish than expected.

I also spoke a little to Elizabeth/#itswhitenoise about the car before leaving. I believe bbi just refreshed the engine and I assume its all OEM. The body shop altered the rear to be able to fit the older style tail lamps and center piece. The engine bay looked fully original and the car currently had no exhaust or anything of the sort, they just ran it from the cat-out. I was curious about the exposed oil and AC lines, but she says she likes the raw look, so nothing is going to cover those up.

I don't take much pictures because there will be better ones online anyway, but:

Name:  20160326_181423_zpskbwhzs7a.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  202.4 KB
Name:  20160326_171111_zpsgnv7vnh7.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  130.0 KB
Name:  20160326_181733_zpsxuniqza9.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  134.1 KB
Old 03-27-2016, 06:13 PM
DontLift
Advanced

Originally Posted by BBiAutosport
We assisted with the mechanical aspects of this build and then it was transported to New York. The owner of the car travels back and forth regularly.
The folks at BBI are being humble. First, they received the 964 after taking the engine/drivetrain and other associated components out for paint on Friday March the 18th - late morning - They installed the engine and drivetrain, and the suspension as well as a host of other things that were torn out by the transporter and.... they got the car on the truck THAT night for the trip to Brooklyn.

Second, Betim and his shop have a long and serious history in motorsport as well as performance tuning. I know them, have confidence in their work and - most important - trust them. They have worked on many of my Porsches old and new and continue to go above and beyond from every perspective. And they are good people.

Thank you Betim and BBI! See you in a few weeks!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:46 AM
wilber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG so funny...LOL...

So who own the fastest RWB ???
Old 03-28-2016, 01:48 AM
wilber
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
To each their own candidly. Not my thing but... I saw this car prior to the rwb treatment and honestly it's in better shape now.

The Hollywood car has a real chassis setup, having ridden in it its nice. Motor is stock. The Brooklyn car just had dampers at the moment. Motor was sealed but stock iirc.

These cars are definitely more show than go. If you want high level refined build with the performance to match you're talking a $250k build. (40k donor 40k paint and body 25k chassi 60k motor 15k trans 25k interior... And more)

I'd love to see someone do a real one, like a gamroth quality build with super wide body.
so ture... i been there i know... $250k...
Old 03-28-2016, 01:08 PM
DontLift
Advanced

The inspiration for my RWB .... she's pure, original and unaltered .... sometimes ya gotta think outside the box....
Old 03-28-2016, 01:17 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stef430

The inspiration for my RWB .... she's pure, original and unaltered .... sometimes ya gotta think outside the box....
They both look fantastic!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:21 PM
wilber
Racer

Oops sorry wrong forum ... my AMG 6.0 just restored

Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM
DontLift
Advanced

Hammer Time!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

I wonder if there is a set size of tire/wheel combo you need on the RWB builds? If you could make the rear a little more subtle and get rid of those 80's style deep dish rims I think they would look allot better and probably perform better 2.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:15 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm definitely a "form follows function" guy for most things automotive, so it's difficult for me to understand the justification of the added contact patch versus weight trade-off from a performance perspective. Porsches have always been about their unique driving dynamics and I think Jjm4life shares a similar perspective.

It's neat that RWB has created this unique sub-culture within the Porsche community and it's great that his builds stimulate interest and conversation, but for me the bottom line is if it's not creating an improved driving experience then it kind of is "just a body kit."
Old 03-29-2016, 02:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Maintaining pure to form is the key to longevity. That doesn't necessarily mean stock, but pure to the lineage of the marque. RWB is somewhat a cross of a GT2 Evo/993RSR look on a 964 (some are 993) body, but without the function to go with the form. As I said above, if someone build a pure to form GT2 Evo they'd be in for several 100k to build well, but have an amazing car and high demand for it.

Remember the 80s?

Quick Reply: RWB Brooklyn