Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   RWB Brooklyn (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/925810-rwb-brooklyn.html)

Jjm4life 03-26-2016 03:06 PM

RWB Brooklyn

so this is a thing thats actually happening right now.
Nakai is building a car in brooklyn in front of a paying crowd. the build is being broadcast live on youtbe. the eventbrte listning for the event says ( and this is a direct quote)

Nakai-San, the last true coach builder, comes to new york city for the first time to creat RWB Brooklyn.- the first RWB designed for a female enthusiast"
seriously? the last true coach builder? who comes up with this stuff?

meanwhile, car clearly used to be red, as the fender wells werent painted black like the rest of the car. its rocking magnus walker wheels and the RWB kit that resembles an IROC with a ducktail. the event is sponsoered by 1552, and KW ( has kw coilovers) and bbi ( even though its a new york car?) I wonder if the car has any motor work or anything else done for that matter.
id be lying if i said i didnt like his cars, not this one in particular. i seriously considered having mine converted last winter. but the fanfare around it had reach peak fanboy levels.
catch it on youtube. Drive network has been broadcasting it for a few days now. currently they are detailing it.

Vandit 03-26-2016 03:25 PM

Goughary 03-26-2016 05:45 PM

Thank god he didn't destroy another 964.

Please- to everyone that wants to cut up 964s- Singer included... Please use salvage cars. Stop ruining what needs a little correction, by over correcting.

vagluv 03-26-2016 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Goughary (Post 13142621)
Thank god he didn't destroy another 964.

Please- to everyone that wants to cut up 964s- Singer included... Please use salvage cars. Stop ruining what needs a little correction, by over correcting.

Looks like that is a 964.

Im wondering how cheap these cars will be selling for in the next few years. And how much it will cost/what depreciation will be to put the car back together.

I was skipping around in one of the videos, and stopped right at a place where he put the saw on the car. That hurt to watch, lol. Then in part three, man that interior is a mess

kos11-12 03-26-2016 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Goughary (Post 13142621)
Thank god he didn't destroy another 964. Please- to everyone that wants to cut up 964s- Singer included... Please use salvage cars. Stop ruining what needs a little correction, by over correcting.

Totally agreed

myflat6 03-26-2016 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Totally agreed

Agreed!

FormulaRX 03-26-2016 06:59 PM

I just don't get it. I've watched several of his builds in the past. Car is painted first then fenders cut off AFTER paint. That exposes bare metal that will rust if not treated, but he doesn't seem to do anything about it other than hiding the cuts with bolt on flares. Unless the car is kept in a bone dry old environment, it will rust.

Porschenut_Lee 03-26-2016 08:59 PM

I love the widebody look, but not particularly a fan of the bolt on look. If done, it needs to be done properly and cutting and bolting after paint is ass backwards.......

Super90 03-26-2016 09:24 PM

This is a 964 coupe. Some of the carnage can be seen around minute 30 of this video:

Watching these videos, I am even less impressed with the process, "workmanship", and organization of their build.

But obviously, I am not the target market for one of these vehicles.

To each, his own...

RENN GTS 03-26-2016 10:13 PM

As a purist, I think the kit is sacrelige given the collectibility of the 964 and the recent spike in prices.

As an artist, I think he is a master of his craft and his reluctance to give a F*** about value or collectibility speaks volumes. Its an RWB, not a 964. It should be accounted for as such, therefore the value is no longer relevant.

I've met Nakai a few times here at the Santa Ana location as it was right down the street from my old office. He was super cool and was rather fascinated by my car which was flattering.

Its always going to be tough watching these cars get cut into but that is the nature of his artwork.

Porschenut_Lee 03-26-2016 10:21 PM

RENN GTS,

I understand what you are saying, but cutting fenders and bolting flares and wider bumpers to a car doesn't make a 964 no longer a 964. He is already starting with a 99% complete canvas.

If I took an original Van Gogh painting, hacked it up and added my own touches does that make the painting no longer a Van Gogh?

Not saying the guy doesn't have talent, I'm just saying his stuff may be overrated and in my opinion not properly executed for longevity.

RENN GTS 03-26-2016 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Porschenut_Lee (Post 13143213)
RENN GTS,

I understand what you are saying, but cutting fenders and bolting flares and wider bumpers to a car doesn't make a 964 no longer a 964. He is already starting with a 99% complete canvas.

If I took an original Van Gogh painting, hacked it up and added my own touches does that make the painting no longer a Van Gogh?

Not saying the guy doesn't have talent, I'm just saying his stuff may be overrated and in my opinion not properly executed for longevity.

Trust me, I agree with you. My girlfriend is an Architecht and an artist and we have this argument constantly. She shows me "art", which I usually see as "f****** retarded". The term art gets tossed around extremely liberally these days, so I've just learned to view everything as is, and objectively.

This sh1t is considered art.....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

02m2 03-26-2016 10:46 PM

I am no purist and love a nice modded car. Singer's are tasteful , beautiful and super well built. This rwb is like a 15 year old kid in auto shop that has more money than brains. Not a fan and in years to come no one will want one...the emperor's new clothes.

Porschenut_Lee 03-26-2016 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by RENN GTS (Post 13143250)
This sh1t is considered art.....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

That is funny. I don't understand either........probably because I don't have an artistic bone in my body. I guess I am just a logical thinker and art isn't logical.......

ekoges 03-26-2016 10:56 PM

1. Not a paying crowd. I can confirm - I was there.

2. Not your car, not your problem. Let other people do what they want. Nobody is cutting up the Mona Lisa here. Plenty of 964's to go around and for everyone to do with what they please. Didn't realize Rennlist became ComplaintsList

3. As a "purist," you must also hate the 993 GT2 with its bolt on fenders.

4. The majority of RWB owners revisit the exposed metal and treat it to prevent rust issues. How do I know? I own an RWB. The white car you see next to the car being built in the video is mine. A note about the unpainted fender wells - this car was not color sanded nor finally polished, among other outstanding items. As you can tell, there is a lot of "unhealthy" treatment of the paint during the build. After this, the car goes back to the body shop, is touched up, final areas are finished, and the remaining cut and polish is performed.

Now, for those who are going to tell me I'm a sacrilegious Porsche owner and don't understand Porsche, I also own a '73 T, GT4, 991 GT3, stock '91 964, etc... Both the GT4/GT3 see track time. Skinny cars, wide cars, bolted on fenders, I love them all. They all have their purpose and individuality. RWB is something you choose because you personally enjoy the build. If you can't appreciate the individuality that a true enthusiast strives for, then you're no Porsche purist, you're a curmudgeon. Life is too short to constrain your taste to appease everyone else, Porsche has always been about modular modification and personalization of your own car. My RWB features a more than generous dose of chassis work including 993 RS Uprights, tie rods, sway bars, all monoball bushings, Brembo 6piston race kit, etc... etc.. And a 3.8 is in the works for the car.

/Rant