Sponsored by:

C4 Strut and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 08:01 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 Strut and Springs

Who can tell me about these springs, these struts? Color code means? Quality ?

Showing OE Front Struts (What's wrong in the picture?);

Original Front Struts (44K) miles...

Showing Rear OE Strut/Springs not yet disassembled;

Rear Strut (Color code on Spring means?) Spring looks thicker than new Eibach's going in.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:56 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

All I know is the front struts are labeled BOGE, does that imply rear struts are BOGE? The springs on front have a green or yellow sticker and those on back don't ? Why is that?

I guess time took it's toll on front struts as note the rod does not bounce back... Assume that means they are shot... Will be interesting to see if rear struts are shot too... Stay tuned....

I understand the Turbo-Look has some of the Turbo suspension components, just don't know if that applies to springs and struts? The brakes are standard C4 calipers and rotors for sure.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Putting my rear new struts together. My 92' printed workshop manuals refer to A and B version of rear strut assembly. My version is B. Is just says torque top nut 58 NM?

In my little 911 tech spec book status 8/1/93 it says 37 NM? This little book also says to not use anything but Oem washers and nut. I see original nut is serrated for bite. Doing as told.

UPDATE: measure 3 times, cut once. I read specs few more times, think I have it right; 58 NM for strut nut, 37NM for three nuts ....

Last edited by C4inLA; 03-09-2016 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Post note
Old 03-10-2016, 03:07 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Argh .... Does anyone know if the fact that Bilstein Hd rear struts having bottom mount bearing protrusion on each side presents a problem for installation as old BOGE were flush to accept flat washer as shown in my pic of old strut? There will be a gap each side of lower strut ? Thoughts?

Need a 9mm rubber washer thoughts?

Last edited by C4inLA; 03-10-2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 03-10-2016, 05:37 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Plot thickens... TireRack sent wrong struts. I did research and elephant racing has a pic of rear struts under same part number, Bilstein B6 HD and pic shows one offset and one flush. I ask, if ordered for 964, it's only one p/n and they ensure right strut shipped.... So, now have a call to TireRack to resolve, stay tuned.....
Old 03-10-2016, 06:18 PM
18T_BT
Racer

Wow, that sucks. GL

Confirm the part number? 24-015479
Old 03-10-2016, 07:22 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting. mine isn't flat. but not like that. I will check the strut I have for you tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Elephant Racing has good pic of issue on their site, only one part number for two variations ... Hmmmm....

FlyT,

Yours in your thread are identical to what TireRack mistakenly shipped me
Old 03-10-2016, 09:20 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4inLA
Elephant Racing has good pic of issue on their site, only one part number for two variations ... Hmmmm....

FlyT,

Yours in your thread are identical to what TireRack mistakenly shipped me

Well. I still don't think that's a problem. My rsr struts were like that too. Only they were monoball bushings.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:56 AM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

What is with the different bottom mount profiles ? Why do I get the feeling there are RL vets getting a good laugh out of this.... What am I missing, rubber inserts? Look at my caliper pic, that is Oem washer up against bushing with a 9 mm gap? TireRack said they'll send my pics to engineers it's a cluster &j@$ ....

Last edited by C4inLA; 03-11-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,339 Posts

Since you have a C4 widebody it uses the same suspension so to speak as the turbo. There are minor differences. Rear sway bar and different springs. The dots on the springs are color codes o tell which springs they are. It is complicated I believe Adrian's 964 companion explains it.

The problem is Porsche used BOGE shocks. I call them BOGUS. They were not great. I found as early as 23k miles on some cars that these would begin to stiffen and would not dampen the ride properly. Eventually it would get really bad and that was when they failed completely and you were riding on your springs.

By now yours must have been shot for quite some time. The Bilstein HD and H&R reds are a nice setup for these cars. I am not sure if H&R changed the color codes or not but the red was a bit stiffer and handled cornering better. IMO these cars need more spring and damping but that costs lots more.

You should have no issue with the gap. There is nothing that it will impact the performance and more than likely Bilstein feels it is an improvement. Possibly having clearance issues under hard cornering and the rubber flexing. The shock might be impacting the trailing arm. Who knows but I would proceed with the install large or smaller dia but equally as thick washer.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:07 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Appreciate the info. I might try and find same thickness washer and smaller diameter or make my own 9mm length x 2 inch polythane bushing (no sleeve) with 1 inch ID by cutting down something I find at parts store and keep OEM washer. No, no OCD here

Bilstein told TireRack is proper strut .... Cosmetics apparently was something they were not focused on....

Thanks all for the input and we're moving on ....

Quick Reply: C4 Strut and Springs