Sponsored by:

Secondary Oil Cooler - thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:40 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
There isn't enough room in the center section of the 964 (and 993) bumper for a center mounted oil cooler. Nowhere for the hot air to escape.
In addition, without heavy body modifications, there is nothing to force the air through the oil cooler. This vastly decreases the cooler's efficiency vs a properly installed side mounted cooler.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Anyone wit this in an ac car notice a performance degrading of the ac? I like my ac :-)
Old 01-29-2016, 05:47 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Cooling efficiency isn't to get cold air in and hot air out ...?
Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Is the consensus here that the larger one that goes next to the ac condenser the best option? Does anyone make a center cooler option?

Last cooling question (sorry op for crapping your thread) does the stock trans need a cooler ? Track sessions are 20-30 mins for me....
We do about the same minute sessions and I've never seen temps that require a secondary cooler. I see higher temps in rush hour traffic. Maybe I'm not driving fast enough. Our ambient ranges from ~35 F in April to 95 F in July.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:18 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Cooling efficiency isn't to get cold air in and hot air out ...?
The way I see it, air travels from high to low pressure along the path of least resistance. If you look at your side mounted ac condenser and oil cooler there is ducting and block off plates that prevents air from travelling around the heat exchangers. The high pressure air at the front of the car is forced to go through the coolers, even though they represent a certain amount of resistance.

A center mounted cooler does not have any ducting or block off panels to force the air through the cooling fins of the heat exchanger. When given the option, the air will take path of least resistance and simply flow around, not through. So, an unducted center cooler is much less efficient than a side cooler of equal area.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Valid point on exit if center mounted. Could be fabbed. My gt3rs the center radiator exits top of front bumper through the "smile". That car in 105 ambient temps runs about 255 oil after 20-30 mins on track. So no cooling problems there. Hate cooling issues buddies in bmws doing 2-3 laps done. Porsche just keep going and going.....
Old 01-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Valid point on exit if center mounted. Could be fabbed. My gt3rs the center radiator exits top of front bumper through the "smile". That car in 105 ambient temps runs about 255 oil after 20-30 mins on track. So no cooling problems there. Hate cooling issues buddies in bmws doing 2-3 laps done. Porsche just keep going and going.....
Your Gt3 also has a separate oil/water trans cooler.

g50s generally are ok w/o a trans cooler up to ~30-50 min depending on ambients, after that temps begin to get uncomfortably hot. The first casualty will be the plastic bearing housings, followed by brass syncro cones.

The second cooler inline w/ the AC condenser worked fine for my but I never used AC on track which is where you need the extra cooling. I drove to and from track days for a year before purchasing a trailer, I had the second cooler + AC during this period, no problems, prior to the second cooler engine temps on track on hot days got uncomfortably high.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:54 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 81 Posts

hi guys,
here my solution for an aux oil cooler:
My blue car has no AC but on track, the oil temp was a little bit high with the new (hotter) engine.
When i saw the empty space in the left fender, where the ac-cooler was, i decided to do a little bit of homework.

I used an ac-console and bought an full alloy cooler from a cooler shop (here: a mistubishi pajejo cooler ist used which is nearly as big as the 964 cooler is, but fits "in" the ac-console) for realy small money.

This is just a picture "in progress". I fitted some air-deflector arround and such stuff...

Cooler was a straight fit in. I`m getting connected everything with Dash12 hoses (the final install is done by my workshop, because i can`t open oil-circut here in downtown munich in my parking slot). Costs me all around 400,-€...

I hope, the hot (more than half) temperatures will be gone on my next track session in four weeks (redbull ring in austria with hotter pads and more sticky tires - michelin cup2) than last year

Regards

thilo

Quick Reply: Secondary Oil Cooler - thoughts