Sponsored by:

front splitters

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 AM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default front splitters

Wanting to get a front splitter or lip for my car but from reading on here there's some variation in each of them. My setup is already different as I have a fixed wing on the back and it definitely catches some air at all speeds. Looking for recommends so I can move on this before long.
Name:  IMG_20130706_161015.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  947.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20130507_140356.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  875.5 KB
Old 01-19-2016, 09:52 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd look for the Cult Werks splitters. You can get them from FVD.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:39 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 203 Posts

I had TechArt on my previous 2 964s. Great quality, easy install, but they are impossible to find these days. I even spoke with the guys at TechArt at Rennsport about making new batches of parts for 964s and 993s but they said that the production process is too costly and once made the product won't move quickly enough to justify the expense.

Which leaves us with Cult Werk. Those guys are top notch! I've ordered several body pieces from them for the 964 and the quality is OEM-like. Their splitters are really well made and fit perfectly. The only thing to note is that the rivets they use are really heavy duty so be ready for some hard squeezing!

Here's what they look like on my car:

Name:  87B2184D-6568-45FC-B739-48BDA2EEA004_zpsugysmmrh.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  189.6 KB
Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,122 Posts

+1 I ordered a few things from them based on Ilko and Cobalt feedback. I got them and test fit the other day, the fitment is SPOT on. Really nice. I'm going to spray mine with 'trim black' but they don't really need to be painted.

Ruf also has a full lip that looks nice. Getty has a couple different lip options that are more aggressive.

I think for your car the Ruf lip or the cult werks RS spoilers would look nice.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:01 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

There was one in the pelican classifieds yesterday for cheap:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-splitter.html
Old 01-20-2016, 11:37 AM
cobias1
Racer

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
There was one in the pelican classifieds yesterday for cheap:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-splitter.html
Definitely a great price. have thought of these and wonder if the side wings would make it too aggressive. The cult werk ones look great but not sure if aggressive enough with the bigger fixed wing. At highway speeds you can feel a difference in handling unless the wind is behind you.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:50 AM
cobias1
Racer

Originally Posted by cobias1
Definitely a great price. have thought of these and wonder if the side wings would make it too aggressive. The cult werk ones look great but not sure if aggressive enough with the bigger fixed wing. At highway speeds you can feel a difference in handling unless the wind is behind you.
Did message them just now though am willing to try it out.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobias1
The cult werks pieces are replicas of the 964 RSR front splitter pieces used with the bi-wing. Some cars in the era used a more aggressive splitter with a larger bi-wing.

You should be fine with balance.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:25 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
The cult werks pieces are replicas of the 964 RSR front splitter pieces used with the bi-wing. Some cars in the era used a more aggressive splitter with a larger bi-wing.

You should be fine with balance.
Are the Cult Werks Splitters functional at speed or just for appearance purposes?
Old 01-26-2016, 10:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Well, i have not run them on my car, given that theoretically they're not too different than the change from the OEM spoiler to the cup car spoiler on my 997RS and that they are modeled after the spoiler used on the 964 RSR, I think they would be functional. Of course at speed.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,347 Posts

The cult werks ones are identical to the factory turbo S splitters also used on the 3.8RS. They were matched for the turbo S tail you have which is one of the largest single piece wings used on a Porsche.

I have them on my turbo (factory pieces) and on my track car CF from Getty Design. They make a considerable difference at high speeds with both the turbo wing and the bi-wing. I also have the techart splitter on my C2 with an RSA rear wing.

IIRC the concept is the splitter reduces front end turbulence and creates a negative pressure in the center which actually sucks the front of the car down at speed.

These really only make a difference at speeds above 120mph which you can feel on track anything larger might be overkill but most of these are usually added for cosmetics.

The Getty design are not as large and seem to be less effective at speed. I am considering going with a larger front wing type with the cunard's on the sides like Justin posted, since i hit speeds of over 150mph and these become less effective at speeds approaching 140 or more. Of course all of this has to do with stance and other factors.
Attached Images     
Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

So if I'm using the stock rear spoiler would you recommend not using the cult werks spitter? I occasionally do DE at a high speed track where you reach 140+ on the front straight into a fast banked corner. Turn two is a long sweeper that you can take at 110-120 but the rear end gets very light if you're not on the gas. Would the cult werks splitter generate too much down force on the front, making rear too light? Ideally I'd probably go with something like a 3.8 RS rear wing but I'm not sure I want to make that modification.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:51 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
So if I'm using the stock rear spoiler would you recommend not using the cult werks spitter? I occasionally do DE at a high speed track where you reach 140+ on the front straight into a fast banked corner. Turn two is a long sweeper that you can take at 110-120 but the rear end gets very light if you're not on the gas. Would the cult werks splitter generate too much down force on the front, making rear too light? Ideally I'd probably go with something like a 3.8 RS rear wing but I'm not sure I want to make that modification.
Must be a hell of a track. most around here like the Glen and VIR the most you can hit in a C2 is top of 4th or 138 mph.

I would consider an RSA style wing before I did the front splitters. Although a proper balance is best and having both works much better than one or the other.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Must be a hell of a track. most around here like the Glen and VIR the most you can hit in a C2 is top of 4th or 138 mph.

I would consider an RSA style wing before I did the front splitters. Although a proper balance is best and having both works much better than one or the other.
Cobalt, thanks for the info. I think you're right about the rear spoiler.

The track is BIR (Brainerd Intl). It has a mile long straight that is also used for their NHRA dragstrip. My 964 C2 will redline in 4th about 2/3 - 3/4 down the main straight. The fast drivers (not me) can keep their foot on the gas going into the banked corner. I've been a passenger in GT3s and a GT2 on this track and their speeds are amazing.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 203 Posts

You can hit 140mph in a 964 on the Nascar portion of Pocono North. I've always found the front end of a RWD 964 to be more floaty at high speeds. An RSA wing would work well with the splitters if you're looking for more downforce.

Quick Reply: front splitters