RS Clubsport seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 11:05 AM
pureRS
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Clubsport seats

Hi all,

Does anybody have some detailed information about the original seats of the Euro 964RS Clubsport cars? I think they were equipped with some Recaro seats and had a Porsche logo. Are they still available from Recaro?

Thank you
Old 10-02-2003, 11:20 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are Recaro SPG.

You can probably still buy it through the Porsche dealer, but for the logo you will pay at least twice as much as the identical OEM seat. You are better off buying a genuine SPG from Recaro and putting on your own Porsche logo.
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2003, 11:34 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

BTW, the RS streetcar has leather seats - but the clubsport has Nomex.
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2003, 11:35 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the "RS" seats from FVD. They look like a Recaro Pole Position but the side bolster is a little less agressive which facilitates exit/entry.

I think JC is right that you can order the original items from Porsche. I just purchased two lumbar pads (part no. 10) for $50 from Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR. This was a special-order item and shipped from Germany.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:05 PM
pureRS
Cruisin'

Hi folks,

Thank you for the comments. I wonder if someone knows more about the availability of the original seats through Porsche.

I also think that (if available) they'll be quite expensive (GENUINE Porsche parts...)

It's likely that you can save a lot of money by buying the standard Recaro seats and putting a logo on them afterwards.

Another option would be Sparco seats. My local Porsche dealer told me that Sparco produces seats which are technically almost the same as some of the Recaro seats at about 60% of the costs.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:22 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Just to give you some idea, the Recaro SPG is about $750 brand new. If you call a main Porsche dealer about the "RS clubsport" seat (I am guessing) it will be $2000 or more. If you call let us know.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the SPG w/ the logo - they are really spendy - $1800.00 each - your other option is to buy the SPG and just order the cover (it's removable) from either porsche or recaro - or you could take the covers down to a good embrodery shop and have them do the crest. which is what i would do
Old 10-02-2003, 02:09 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the Recaro SPG (picked up a new one on Ebay for $600). Nice seat but SMALL. I'm 5'9", 160 lbs. You wouldn't want to be much bigger. If you do a lot of non track driving, it might be worth considering the slightly larger version (I think it's the Pole Position).
Old 10-02-2003, 04:39 PM
pureRS
Cruisin'

@ Rob: Another option would be to dig up a pair of used seats in good condition. I'll try that first. Otherwise I'd favour your suggestion.

Regarding the size: Should be OK for me. And i they fit a bit tight it's alright also. I'll use the car mainly on track (what else? It's an RS! )
Old 10-03-2003, 03:58 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Pure RS,

The original RS seats are neither PolePositions nor SPGs, they are unique for the 964RS, 968CS and 993RS models but are made by Recaro for Porsche. I would call them a mix between the PolePosition and SPG. Since you are in continental Europe, sourcing a 2nd hand pair in Nomex or leather should not be a problem but most likely would require a re-upholstry.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 10-03-2003, 04:48 AM
pureRS
Cruisin'

@ Johannes: I'm referring solely to the 'Clubsport' seats and I'm not sure if those are really different from the Recaro SPG. They look quite similar. My dealer will provide me with more information in the next few days.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:07 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Incorrect, Johannes E. is refering to the streetcar seats.

To reiterate, the Cup and club sport use Recaro SPG.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by pureRS
@ Johannes: I'm referring solely to the 'Clubsport' seats and I'm not sure if those are really different from the Recaro SPG. They look quite similar. My dealer will provide me with more information in the next few days.
They ARE different, backside of the Porsche RS seats have "moldings" (what are they called?) where are SPG's or Pole Positions have flat back.

Attached is picture of authentic RS seats
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2003, 01:32 PM
pureRS
Cruisin'

Yes, the seats of the standard RS are absolutely different of course. I'm not referring to these. The RS Clubsport is the stripped version of the standard RS and mainly designed for tracking (only 189 were built).
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2003, 02:05 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you are correct in saying that the RS CS SPG seats (they are SPG however) are Ribbed - but i am not sure if this as a design feature of the Seat durring that time or not. Either way if it's for the track and not concourse i would not worry about it.
One thing about buying 2nd hand seats is that they may have been "tested" i.e. in an incident and if so should be replaced and not used - just like belts they may look fine but......may have stress fractures leading to a failure right when you need them the most.
My Sparco seat which held me in place durring my wreck will be scrapped (Cut up) to prevent it failing on someone else if it was sold or salvaged. No point in taking a chance with your life.
Belts should be replaced (and destroyed) after a signifiant hit or every 2-3 years anyway - the webbing deteroates (sp?) in sunlight.
My 2 cents...I'll take the safe road on this one.
Also Please Buy a head restraint (HANS, or similar) best money you can spend.

Quick Reply: RS Clubsport seats