Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

New 3/4" tools arrived. I'll tackle the driveshafts on the weekend. Any tips out there for C4 front drive shafts?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:15 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The CV joint job is finished, hopefully.

I used the method that disconnects the strut from the top mount point.

I won't repeat what's in other threads except to note the following I wish I'd known

1. The front axle nut needs a 3/4" socket and wrench. The torque setting of 330 ft lbs exceeds 1/2" specs so tools with that size are likely to break. Ask me how I know!

2. After you have undone the circlip the joint is able to be pulled off. In my case the puller took the joint outer off, not the core, so it all fell apart. I'd like to see what technique people use to get a puller around the joint outer to hook the core.

3. The grease used in CV joints is beyond messy. It gets everywhere.

4. If your joint disassembles, watch a video on reassembling it before you attempt it. I used the method posted by a 996 owner. I have no idea how some do this while the driveshaft is on the car.

5. The CV boot clamp join position must not coincide with a bolt position, otherwise it's hard to get the bolt on.

6. Be very careful tightening the driveshaft flange bolts. Get the tool fully inserted and square. You don't want to round out the bolt otherwise you will need a dremel to cut the bolt head off. The torque is 32ft lbs.

7. The front and rear CV inners on a C4 are not the same part. I now have two rears as spares :/

8. The front and rear axle nuts on a C4 are not the same. The rears are inexpensive, the fronts aren't. One of mine is not holding the full torque so I'll replace it.

9. There is no aftermarket CV joint for the front inner on a C4. The Porsche part is so expensive that you might as well buy an entire driveshaft.
Attached Images                      

Last edited by John McM; 09-13-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

And the excessive packing award goes the seller that packaged two seat driveshafts (in the image) in a box big enough to take a flywheel.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I watched this video
and searched the net for a supplier of the tool.

In my search I found these which I hope will both store touch up paint and apply it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I watched this video https://youtu.be/Uz-zW-cLdUs and searched the net for a supplier of the tool.

In my search I found these which I hope will both store touch up paint and apply it.
John please let us know what you think of this applicator. I currently use the toothpick method but I am always open to trying different products that could do a better job.

Judging by how fine the tip is I'm sure it will need to be flushed immediately after use to prevent plugging but should be reusable otherwise.

Edit: I just bought the Leow Cornell tool and wil give it a shot. It adds the same amount as a toothpick but doesn't require paint refills which is a plus!

Last edited by Marine Blue; 09-13-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
John please let us know what you think of this applicator. I currently use the toothpick method but I am always open to trying different products that could do a better job.

Judging by how fine the tip is I'm sure it will need to be flushed immediately after use to prevent plugging but should be reusable otherwise.
Will do. A feature of this tool is a fine needle in the cap. This cleans out the applicator nozzle when placed back on after use.

I bought fine and standard versions as I'm not sure how paint will flow through them.

Last edited by John McM; 09-14-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Another purchase was pre cat flanges from Bisimoto. I suspect these are made to help repair rusted out exhausts. My use is different. These will be the flanges anchoring a modified cat bypass with a cut off valve. I will hopefully be able to run a normal exhaust most of the time but change to full noise at the push of a button
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2017, 07:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

This appears to be the tool for CV joint removal. The only problem is that it's designed for an outer CV joint and uses the driveshaft and axle nut to pull it. That won't work with an inner.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2017, 06:40 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

New front driveshaft has arrived. A relative bargain considering it's Porsche original. Plus a couple of front axle nuts.
Attached Images    
Old 09-30-2017, 04:24 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

David Burggraaf (Rennlist handle Maxem) has delivered his second pre production billet 964 Valve covers. Still a few items to add like wire clip studs in the final version but this lot are going on my car as is to test them. Time to seal up my engine.
Attached Images        
Old 09-30-2017, 08:53 AM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red valve covers

Hi John. In post 825 there are 2 bright shiny red valve covers sitting on the bench in the background. In this post you're comparing the new covers to what look like dull red covers which I assumed were on the engine previously. Has the engine been run and taken the 'shiny' off? Just wondering what might have happened to valve cover coating.

Cheers,

Dan
Old 09-30-2017, 02:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dlpalumbo
Hi John. In post 825 there are 2 bright shiny red valve covers sitting on the bench in the background. In this post you're comparing the new covers to what look like dull red covers which I assumed were on the engine previously. Has the engine been run and taken the 'shiny' off? Just wondering what might have happened to valve cover coating.

Cheers,

Dan
Hi Dan,

The red powder coating has always been a dull matte finish. I think it looks even moreso under the light I used for the later photos. I’m thinking about what finish to use on the billet covers and may go for an anodised coating this time. The reality is that past the initial show photos these live in a dirty environment so a muted colour scheme works best.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Final check of valve timing. Carefully fit the plugs, then new valve covers. Finally make sure the plug wires are well connected.
Attached Images        
Old 10-01-2017, 12:13 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice John !!

My engine is close behind. Should be working on the install in another week or two.

R.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:02 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Fan belt installed. The hex head bolt is only torqued to 10 Nm.

Krikit tool allows belt tension measurement. 25kg is correct for a cold used belt.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb