993 Coils install to 964

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 04:03 AM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993 Coils install to 964

Hi All,
with much thanks to TDIQUATTRO and his thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nto-964-a.html

I have just finished installing my 993 Coils to my 964 and thought I would share my installation process.

I'll try not to repeat what is on the other thread - which lists parts, part numbers and method quite nicely already.

So, I decided if I was going to do this , I would buy all new stuff - just to be sure !

I got a good deal on the coils and 993 coil lead ends from our Pelican - so went with that. I did not have to worry about stripping the ends from my existing leads, as I bought a new set (well 2nd hand) of Beru leads from a fellow rennlister (who was also nice enough to take the ends off them for me - thank you CRG53 )

Putting the new ends on was fairly straight forward. I decided to use a small amount of rubber grease, then slid the new ends in until the felt 'in', then screwed them up.

Here is a picture showing the differences between the 993 ends and the 964 ends.

This is what I started off with. You need to undo the ignition modules from the heatsink plate (yellow arrows - just push in the silver clips), undo the four phillips screws holding the Heatsink bracket on (green arrows) and then remove the two allen screws holding the Coil Bracket on (purple arrows, one screw hidden behind heat sink bracket).

Once these brackets and ignition modules were removed, I then took the plastic caps from the top of the coils and removed the coil leads from the coils and the distributor (note, I bought a spark plug lead puller tool some time back - best bloody purchase ever ).

I left the wires attached to the coils to be sure I put them back the correct way. Although, you really can't stuff this up as the connectors are different sizes (smaller one is negative )

I then looked at the bracket that came off. Other guys and gals have not re-utilized this, but I figured I could do something with it. This is the bracket.

A hack saw, file, some satin black and five minutes later - it looked like this.

This is good as it alleviates the need to use spacers etc behind the 993 plate.

I followed the instructions in the other thread - drilling a hole in the middle of the 993 plate and 35mm from the bottom - perfect fit !!

So, after moving over the Coil wiring on both coils, bolting the brackets on, it was time to mount the Ignition Module bracket. It took me a minute or two to work out where this goes. You have to actually remove the cable tie hold down strip - which exposes a factory bolt. You then mount the Ignition Module bracket FLAT on the wheel arch using the middle hole for the bolt to go through. It is then just a matter of finding a nut the right size, tightening it up and refitting the Ignition modules. All done !

Once again - thanks to TDIQUATTRO and others for this idea.

Last edited by hepkat63; 10-16-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Mark Brook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write-up.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

This is on my winter list. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:07 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good writeup, and glad to see everything worked out for you.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:08 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice, all I need is the 993 coils and I can do this. Have everything else.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:04 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write-up, glad you decided to give it a go, a few thousand miles on mine, no issues, great performance, included some at altitude and high outside temperatures as well. Great mod
Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 PM
Netbug
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea about cutting up the old bracket. I'll do that later this week.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:39 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

OK, so I did this yesterday and had two issues.

The meassurement 35 mm isn't a fixed number. I drilled a hole there but it was 5 mm off set. The fuse box is obstracting the coilpack. So I had to drill a new hole 5 mm to the left. So always meassure this and don't use "35 mm up on the center line" as a blue print.

Second. The screw holding the factory zip tie for the cables is probably man made so it's position is neither a fixed position. Mine sits far to much inwards so the there's no way this screw can be used for my Ignition module bracket. Instead I drilled a hole and used a nut-rivet, and then a screw to mount the bracket. Looks clean, and easy to do.

I had no issues with getting the cable ends off though. Just a small screwdriver under the rubber lip to get some air in, then some 5-56 and screw them off easily.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:30 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Forgive my ignorance but what is the advantage/benefit of 993 coils and plug wires on a 964?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:50 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

cheaper, lighter, stronger...a more modern product.

Quick Reply: 993 Coils install to 964