Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teardown begins. Suspension madness...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Today we pressed in the bilstein bushings. Really couldn't have been easier. That 29mm 3/4 drive socket from Napa was perfect. I used the smaller of the two tools I got from elephant to support behind the bushing and out it came. In with the new and all good.

Like new.
Attached Images       
Old 10-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I'm jealous of you guys. What a fun project. Going to feel like totally different cars when complete.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:37 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee,"Mainer" is in the body shop getting the rear damage fixed. Once it is back it's going to star in "Goughary's Garage."

TV producers; come see me to arrange for the cable rights to this show.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Settin03
Advanced

WOW!! Going through this thread I can see the thought process and comradery amongst you all. This is great stuff. I'm learning as you complete each step. I may have to make my way up to you one of these days. Great job!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Originally Posted by Settin03
WOW!! Going through this thread I can see the thought process and comradery amongst you all. This is great stuff. I'm learning as you complete each step. I may have to make my way up to you one of these days. Great job!
Bring it...we are 6 now.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Goughary
Race Car

So these arrived...tool ****.

One is for removing the two cap nuts on the heat exchangers, which I have done in the last with a normal long cheep Allen socket, but you really need one that won't twist, particularly if your heat exchanges have been on there for years...

The other, is more pressing...if your axles are bolted to the transaxle with M8 Allen bolts (mine oem used to be xzn bolts), then this is the proper tool to be able to retorque. 6mm facom long (approx 3 inches) 1/2 drive socket. Zero twist, and just long enough to clear the high point on the cv boot.

With the regular 3/8 drive 6 inch long socket I had been using, I had to increase the torque to comp for the twist in the shaft. With this, the torque will be whatever the wrench is set to...
Attached Images    
Old 10-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Settin03
Advanced

Originally Posted by Goughary
Bring it...we are 6 now.
If I can get her running/switching gears correctly. I will take you up on that offer. As my avatar shows. She is perched up on stands now. Wheels off to get finished. As I await tiptroniic unit #2 with harness. ( Fingers crossed )
Is there an admission fee?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 AM
Goughary
Race Car

And then this happened...new (old) boxes, many more drawers...
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2015, 12:27 AM
Settin03
Advanced

Oh boy... and so it begins, more space more tools!
Old 10-28-2015, 01:56 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Yeah so it turns out the guy is an SK dealer...and we sat and talked tools for a bit prior to heading out...cuz I could talk tools for hours...

I've never known a thing about air tools...just never had a compressor and never paid attention to my dads stuff when I was a kid.

So he tells me to forget spending a lot, and buy an ingersoll rand 231ha. The 231g is the cheep one, but will do fine, the 231c vents out the front, so if you use it on wheels you will have a face full of brake dust, and the 231HA is the same as the c, but vents down from the handle, so this is best for car duty. And then we talked 3/8 fittings for a while since apparently they are not all equal...many close down to 1/4 inside and so do the hose ends...so gotta check my hoses when I get a chance...

So who knew?

IR 231HA it is...

Btw. Never use an impact gun on alluminum Porsche lug nuts to break them loose. And if you want to spin them on, thread a few turns by hand first, spin them on till snug, and torque with a torque wrench. Don't hammer on them w the impact gun. I keep a bag of lug nuts in the tool box in case one gets gauled. It's only happened once to me, but if you use a gun, it'll happen more often than you like.

Still waiting for the elephant parts...

If I am bored tomorrow I'll post more tool ****...
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

AWESOME project Goughary. Wish I was there in reality as opposed to virtually.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:26 PM
Goughary
Race Car

As long as we are waiting for parts...

It's raining here in peak fall Connecticut, and that will continue for the next 24 hours. Since my car is not a garage wimp, it's out having fun...with me...

Days like today are the perfect days to exercise the abs and pdas systems, as are snow days...

There is a lot of talk about the cheep rebuild of old failing abs systems with parts from a 190e merc...and while this is a great idea, a better idea is to not let your system fail in the first place. I use every ****, every switch, and every system in my car. If something is about to break or needs attention, I typically know. But when you excersise systems, switches, dials, etc, they tend to fail much less often. Abs is no different.

If we drive around and never are in a lock up type situation or driving very hard, cuz the car is babied or the roads aren't safe for hard driving, when do you suppose over 25 years, the abs Pistons would ever move from their spot?

So. My advice. Feel free to tell me I am dumb, wrong, or otherwise insane....

Always fresh fluids. No car would ever be unhappy with you for changing fluids. And always exercise on a regular basis, all systems, switches, dials, etc. and for those of you around here, rain and wet leaves...great combo. Nice and slippery to lock up the wheels and hit the abs at slow safe speeds...pdas at your own risk. I make no comments there other than mine works well....lol.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:30 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Default Hmmmm

Wish I had time to come up and slide around with you. Once we had real faith in our car's systems. we could play "ABS Chicken." Or maybe not.

Not looking forward to learning the tool layout in the new box. I was just getting good at finding them after only three drawer pulls...
Old 10-28-2015, 03:08 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
As long as we are waiting for parts...

It's raining here in peak fall Connecticut, and that will continue for the next 24 hours. Since my car is not a garage wimp, it's out having fun...with me...

Days like today are the perfect days to exercise the abs and pdas systems, as are snow days...

There is a lot of talk about the cheep rebuild of old failing abs systems with parts from a 190e merc...and while this is a great idea, a better idea is to not let your system fail in the first place. I use every ****, every switch, and every system in my car. If something is about to break or needs attention, I typically know. But when you excersise systems, switches, dials, etc, they tend to fail much less often. Abs is no different.

If we drive around and never are in a lock up type situation or driving very hard, cuz the car is babied or the roads aren't safe for hard driving, when do you suppose over 25 years, the abs Pistons would ever move from their spot?

So. My advice. Feel free to tell me I am dumb, wrong, or otherwise insane....

Always fresh fluids. No car would ever be unhappy with you for changing fluids. And always exercise on a regular basis, all systems, switches, dials, etc. and for those of you around here, rain and wet leaves...great combo. Nice and slippery to lock up the wheels and hit the abs at slow safe speeds...pdas at your own risk. I make no comments there other than mine works well....lol.
If we had a post of the day (month, year) contest this would definitely get my vote!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I had mentioned earlier somewhere about the tools necessary to re-torque the spring plates. Since I am bored, I figured I'd back track a moment and do some show and tell. There is a Porsche special tool listed in the manual, and though I would love to have a ratcheting version of what I now have, it's ok that it doesn't ratchet.

So this is really because of one bolt. The M14 cap head that bolts the spring plate to the passenger side of the car (US left hand drive). There is very limited space. And the torque spec is 147 ft/lbs...which is a lot. To give an example, I had to use my leg to crack the bolt loose.

You first need this:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/Porsche/...WTD166_pg3.htm

And then one of these:

https://store.snapon.com/Standard-in...e-P812998.aspx

And then any reasonably good torque wrench. I use a CDI 24 inch wench that I now swear by. Great wrenches.

And then, I think I first came across this because someone else posted it here. Maybe Vandit? Anyway, super helpful...

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/torquee...eextension.htm

Use the calculator on there to set your torque.

I have a 24 inch wrench, and a 3 inch adapter. So to make 147 ft/lbs I set the wrench to 130.7

Make sense?

Then, to fit the wrench into the slot and position it correctly to torque, see the attached pic. This would be a lot easier on a lift. I'm under a car that is 14 inches off the ground, and it's a pita.

Here's the kicker with this whole project. No one on this thread should be remotely afraid to replace their spring plate bushings with elephant bushings. Really couldn't be easier. I thought that part of the job was going to be the most difficult. And to get the seized bolts out, yes it was. But purely for the replacement of the bushing, easiest by far. And the elephant product is awesome.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Teardown begins. Suspension madness...