Sponsored by:

Scantool and Tore (www.bergvillfx.com) OBDI reader won’t connect

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:13 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MA7008O
I just come back from the dealer, where they were able to diagnose the car with no issues (neither with the OBD diagnose tool or with any codes).

Therefore, the OBD diagnosis on the car is fine. Any ideas as to what many be wrong with Tore’s T – OBD?

Thanks again for the help. Very much appreciated!!!
Did you check the items in my previous post?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:26 PM
MA7008O
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
My scantool.ini file is located in the same directory as the scantool.exe. I'd do a search on your HD to make sure you don't have multiple scantool.ini files with different configurations. FWIW, I'm using COM5 since all my other ports were in use. If you're using a USB to Serial dongle make sure it's configured for the same COM port that is in the scantool.ini.

Another thing to check is that your scantool.cfg file has the same contents as scantool_964_cfg.txt. For example, the scantool.cfg file should show baudRate=8800 in the [Motronic] section. Good luck!
Yes I did. Sorry for not responding.

Looked for other scantool.ini files and just have two: C:\windows and C:\scantool. Both have the same port configuration.

Just in case I changed the port to another one with no results.

Scantool.cfg file is the one for the 964, and also played with the port velocity, since my PC sets the baudrate it by defect to 9.600. Since there is no option to set it to 8800 (7200 is the lower one), I set both (PC configuration and scantool.cfg) to 7200.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 242 Posts

The software will adjust baud rate automatically, and you can leave the baud rate on the serial port settings to be default, I guess this is 9600.
Only the 964 engine control unit use 8800 baud, the airbag uses 9600, and the ABS/CCU use 4800 baud. All this is set by choosing the correct scantool.cfg, either by renaming files or by using the batch file in the zip package.
All files must be unzipped and store uncompressed on your disk drive. Some tend to handle zip files as folders, and not extract the files. This will cause problems for Scantool.exe to read the files.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 09-15-2015, 02:16 PM
MA7008O
Racer

Originally Posted by ToreB
The software will adjust baud rate automatically, and you can leave the baud rate on the serial port settings to be default, I guess this is 9600.
Only the 964 engine control unit use 8800 baud, the airbag uses 9600, and the ABS/CCU use 4800 baud. All this is set by choosing the correct scantool.cfg, either by renaming files or by using the batch file in the zip package.
All files must be unzipped and store uncompressed on your disk drive. Some tend to handle zip files as folders, and not extract the files. This will cause problems for Scantool.exe to read the files.
Cheers,
Tore
Thanks Tore, for all of your kind help and attention.

I just played with the baudrate to check, since I had previous issues with other equipment that where solved by reducing the port velocity.

I did uncompressed the files.

Thanks again!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 03:02 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tore, for all of your kind help and attention.

I just played with the baudrate to check, since I had previous issues with other equipment that where solved by reducing the port velocity.

I did uncompressed the files.

Thanks again!!!
Are you using a USB to serial port or does your PC have a serial port?
Old 09-15-2015, 03:39 PM
MA7008O
Racer

Originally Posted by HalV
Are you using a USB to serial port or does your PC have a serial port?
This one I do not know.

All PC with which I tryed have only USB port, and Tore cable is USB.

Could you explain this to me, please?

Thanks,
Old 09-15-2015, 05:14 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

This one I do not know.

All PC with which I tryed have only USB port, and Tore cable is USB.

Could you explain this to me, please?

Thanks,
Ah...the diagnostic cable that I have uses a serial port, so I need to use a USB to Serial dongle to connect the cable. You don't have that issues since you can connect the diagnostic cable directly to your PC via USB.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:21 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

I'm assuming you went through the "Windows 7 driver Installation and Troubleshooting" document that Tore provides to install and configure the FT232R USB UART (COM port)?
Old 09-15-2015, 07:42 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Your visit to the dealer eliminates any physical trouble with your car's diagnostic port, etc. That's good news.

If you'd like to check Tore hardware/software/driver setup, you need to hook up an external power supply as mentioned in Tore's "Windows 7 driver Installation and Troubleshooting" . You'll need a VOM meter, and you'll need to download Realterm, another terminal program that you can toggle the RTS line, that is the diagnostic "L" line, and Scantool uses it has the line to handshake to any control unit.

Realterm can be had from http://sourceforge.net/projects/real...iles/Realterm/ I'm using 2.0.0.57

You can toggle the RTS line in RealTerm and see the response using the VOM on pin #7 of the 19 round pin connector or the red LED. Let me know if this is what you see.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:02 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Tore's device has a blue led to show activity on the TX line, but I believe no LED on the RX.

To test RX, jump between "L" (#7 pin) and "K" (#8 pin), toggle the RTS line (#7 pin) using RealTerm and you should see activity on the status window in RealTerm on the RX line.

If that checks out, the problem is in Windows/Scantool software.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:57 AM
MA7008O
Racer

Tore is sending a another cable and adapter which I solud receive next week.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,
Old 09-25-2015, 02:25 PM
MA7008O
Racer

Well, today I received the new reader and 19 pin adaptor and it just worked perfectly from the first time.

I’m sending the “old” unit back to Tore. Let’s see if he has the chance to try it and say what he says.

Thanks all of you for your kind help!!!
Old 09-25-2015, 02:31 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, today I received the new reader and 19 pin adaptor and it just worked perfectly from the first time.

I’m sending the “old” unit back to Tore. Let’s see if he has the chance to try it and say what he says.

Thanks all of you for your kind help!!!
That is good news, happy for you.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:38 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that is great to hear. I know you were probably frustrated as heck after trying everything in the book. This is the first unit I have heard about actually being faulty. It is probably just a bad solder joint somewhere.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:12 PM
MA7008O
Racer

Just received a mail form Tore.

I did send him the not working unit and he found a bad soldered component.

His product now is improved!!!

Quick Reply: Scantool and Tore (www.bergvillfx.com) OBDI reader won’t connect