Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima or odyssey battery vs conventional.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Optima or odyssey battery vs conventional.

I've been looking into battery replacement, and as typical for anything I look up, 50% of the people say they don't like the optima, 50% don't like odyssey, and 50% don't like conventional acid batteries...

And that just doesn't add up.

So, my buddy's car has huge acid damage in the frunk. We are going to pull the battery and remediate the rust. Is it worth replacing the battery (this one is fine) with a gel battery? Or are acid batteries still better over-all? Cold weather, no tender, etc...

I don't like the idea of buying an odyssey and then having to shell out for a rennline fit kit unless the odyssey is really "that good"

I don't like that so many people say the optima fails. But then, acid batteries I have had have failed as well.

And then acid. I just don't like acid leaking and stripping paint and eating the frunk. So if we stay acid, how to avoid this?
Old 09-05-2015, 11:29 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

No acid batteries for me for the past 12 years. Since then, I've had 4 Optimas that have consistently failed prematurely. Some folks love them but I am not a big fan of the brand. I've had a Sears Platinum AGM in my Jeep for the past 8 years, and even after all the abuse I put it through, it is still going strong today. Same for my wife's Audi, I switched to a Sears Platinum 4 years ago and no issues. My $0.02.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I have had great luck with Optima, but recently had my first one fail. It was 4 years old, but I have many Optimas that have been in service for 7+ years without issues.

I won't use conventional batteries due to the acid risks, all it takes is the alternator over charging to create a "situation" with rust that I'd rather avoid.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have to say, I haven't had any batteries last five years like they used to. Years ago, I had an Optima last nine years, then I got scared and replaced it. More recently, I've had botrh Optima and Odyssey (rebranded as Sears Platinum) fail at three years. But, all that said, I'd still rather have them in my cars than a stardard acid battery. Batteries are cheap compared to repairing the paint/body work.

Currently running Sears Platinum (Odyssey) in my other two vehicles and will almost certainly put one in the C2 shortly.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Interstate battery the car came with died recently and my friend talked me into the Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. It doesn't start as crisp as usual but so far has been ok. I have one of those mats under the battery, but I'm not sure weather it will do more harm or good.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:29 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
The Interstate battery the car came with died recently and my friend talked me into the Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. It doesn't start as crisp as usual but so far has been ok. I have one of those mats under the battery, but I'm not sure weather it will do more harm or good.
I have a Duralast Gold in my C2. No issues thus far. I will say, based on an adventure getting home from Watkins Glen on battery-only power (FYI, it takes 3 batteries to get from Watkins Glen to Northport with 1/2 travel time using headlights (on Long Island)). I was able to walk into any Autozone, give them the dead battery, and get a new one in exchange - no questions asked other than phone number. The first battery was purchased/installed by the previous owner. I gave them his cell number, and they exchanged it. I think they have a 3 year warranty, or something like that.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Aside from my friend having a good experience with his own battery, his other selling point was being to walk into many of the autozones and get a replacement. I believe its something like lifetime warranty but in reality is around five years.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:08 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first Optima red top I had went about seven years before I decided to replace it before it failed. The new red top is 2.5 years old and performing fine. It is nice to look at the top of the battery and see no acid staining or corrosion on the terminals. As someone else mentioned all batteries fail (usually at the most inconvenient time). In my other cars I have gone through premature replacements with Interstate, Duralast, etc. so if the Optima fails at some point soon I wouldn't be shocked.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:44 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If you drive the car consistently an optima red top is a great choice. But they do not like to sit with a drain. They are hard to get back from a deep discharge and trickle chargers don't seem to keep a 964 fully charged. Not a good choice for a garage queen. The blue top is better if the car sits on a trickle charger. The odessy is a good battery but you have to keep on top of it as well, but I've had better luck recharging them after deep discharge. On the racecars I pull the disconnect they start perfectly after sitting for extended periods. I put a full size interstate gel in the BMW three years ago and it has been flawless....
Old 09-06-2015, 06:14 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had a Sears middle line battery for 5 years, with no problems.

Quick Reply: Optima or odyssey battery vs conventional.