Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your expertise and HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:17 AM
GP964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need your expertise and HELP!!!!

Hi All,

I'm experiencing something weird with my 964...

A coupe weeks ago, I took my 964 C2 for a drive in So Cal's heatwave and noticed the car was running hotter than normal, suddenly I noticed my clutch slowly going deeper to engage to the point that the clutch pedal is on the floor and can't shift into any gear. I could manually pull the clutch pedal back up, but when I tap it with my foot it drops to the floor again.

I assumed that possibly due to the car running hot I may have boiled my brake fluid ( still got the same ATE Racing Super Blue 10 yrs old) and introduced some air bubbles in the clutch line, but the brake work with no problems.

I got a vacuum bleeder to use with my compressor and 2 bottle of ATE Typ 200. I bled the clutch slave with minimal dirt in the system, and bled all 4 corners.

Got in the car and hoping to find the clutch pedal back to normal position, but nope it's still on the floor. I tried pulling it back up manually and pumping it down, and back up, and down.....still nothing....it feels like no pressure at all.

I have Adrian's book in storage, but looking for your guys expertise????

How can I tell if it's a bad master cylinder? or a bad slave cylinder?

Thanks everyone...

GP
Old 08-05-2015, 04:31 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're sure there's no air in the slave cylinder I'd say it is toast. They don't last for so many years compared to the master cylinder. It is a tough environment for the slave with heavy work and hot temps. Replace the rubber hose to.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Check your clutch pedal roll pin. Its a $1 part and easy to change. You have to remove the pedal assembly to replace it. If that doesn't fix the issue, then I agree with Thomas' comment above that its time to replace your clutch slave. Be sure the replace the hose while you do.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:20 PM
CarPartsDiscount.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree, if you are certain that there is no air in the system then chances are the seals inside the slave cylinder have just gone bad. you can usually rebuild them fairly cheap but its a lot faster to just replace it.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The vacuum bleeders dont work so well on the clutch hydraulics, I would expect black fluid after ten years and no changes..

Anyhow if you are going to do the slave and hose I would recommend this for the hose (No affiliation)
http://www.fvd.net/us/en/Porsche-0/-...__964_993.html
Old 08-08-2015, 08:24 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Check your clutch pedal roll pin. Its a $1 part and easy to change. You have to remove the pedal assembly to replace it. If that doesn't fix the issue, then I agree with Thomas' comment above that its time to replace your clutch slave. Be sure the replace the hose while you do.
^this
Old 08-09-2015, 12:08 AM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 643 Likes on 184 Posts

It's the roll pin...
Old 08-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Need your expertise and HELP!!!!

Sounds exactly like the Roll pin. Be sure to grab he appropriate pedal bushings and give your pedal box a rebuild while in there.

As for 10 year old brake fluid. Seriously? That stuff is going to be full of water. And you are going to have all kinds of corrosion and crap in the lines. You have to flush that out. Be prepared for blocked bleed nipples. You may have to pop some out and blow them out before being able bleed properly. The inside of your slave is going to be nasty corroded...just sayin...you gotta flush brake fluid....it soaks up water from the air. That's why if you have a half can left of brand new just opened fluid after bleeding, if you don't use it within a few weeks/months, you toss it cuz it's bad

Quick Reply: Need your expertise and HELP!!!!