Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced steering rack bushing, can't get aligned

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You know the size of the bolts for the rear sway?

I got poly bushings on the way.

Front is gonna be another project.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts
Default Replaced steering rack bushing, can't get aligned

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
You know the size of the bolts for the rear sway?

I got poly bushings on the way.

Front is gonna be another project.
I don't know off hand the size...but a quick look in the pet catalog will tell you...
Old 07-06-2015, 08:27 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right on! M8 x 30. May order some new ones as a preemptive strike on my next project.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:55 AM
willmip
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Resurrecting this thread as today was my second go at fitting replacement rack bushings. New sway bar is going in so I thought I may as well do these at the same time.

However, things seem beyond tight and into the realms of incorrect fit. Notice in the second picture, the bush seems too narrow for the bracket. Has anyone experienced this?

Old 12-14-2019, 11:40 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes it is very tight in there. Try to back the other bolt out a bit and put the second bolt in. It is a doable, but a pretty frustrating process a specially if you are installing the aluminum brace with it.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:42 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Back out the bolts. Be careful not to strip the ones that don't want to thread in...if they don't go easy, don't go forward.

What you can do is put a jack under the rack and very carefully use it as a helper to squish down the bushings...
Old 12-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

My tech bitched about the installation as well. In fact he contacted Rothsport to make sure he had the right bushings. Seems Rothsport may have heard enough complaints and has since changed the mold and formula: https://www.rothsport.com/Products/C...Rack-Brace.htm
Old 12-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Bruni
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

As you are already working there, at same time i highly recommend to ad rack reinforcement part. This gives some extra rigidity to steering rack.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:58 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruni
As you are already working there, at same time i highly recommend to ad rack reinforcement part. This gives some extra rigidity to steering rack.
That brace is difficult to install in the older 964s because the hydraulic lines are in the way and need to be slightly bent out of the way. At first I was afraid I'd break something but it does fit with a little persuasion.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:14 AM
willmip
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
My tech bitched about the installation as well. In fact he contacted Rothsport to make sure he had the right bushings. Seems Rothsport may have heard enough complaints and has since changed the mold and formula: https://www.rothsport.com/Products/C...Rack-Brace.htm
Interesting - I wonder which I have, as I ordered through Design911 in the UK. Anyway, leaving them alone today to reflect on their poor behaviour, hopefully they'll be more compliant tomorrow.......

Old 12-15-2019, 09:21 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I believe you have the new redesigned one because it looks like from your photo that you have the red one. I think the older ones were blue.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Bruni
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the blue ones. The bracket went in place quite easily, you have to tighten both bolts evenly at same time.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:35 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
​​​​​
Originally Posted by cjoenck
I believe you have the new redesigned one because it looks like from your photo that you have the red one. I think the older ones were blue.
The original ones are blue and are made by Ricochet. When I was doing mine, I called Rothsport to ask about their red ones and why they are priced substantially higher than the blue ones. They told me that they were redesigned to fit better due to complaints from customers. I was skeptical and ordered the blue ones from Ricochet through eBay, figuring out I was not taking much of a risk at $20. Well, what do you know, they fit perfectly. Nothing against Rothsport, it is a great outfit and I bought some of their products and will continue to do so, but this one is clearly not worth it and an overpriced copy IMO.

Originally Posted by willmip
Anyway, leaving them alone today to reflect on their poor behaviour, hopefully they'll be more compliant tomorrow.......
The poly bushing should fit well, but are a giant pain to install. I used a pry bar to gently apply downward pressure and create enough space to slide the bushings in. Then I pushed the rack back into place and started both bolts at the same time, going from one to the other in small increments. Take your time, back your bolts out, make sure the bracket and bushing sit well, and then put both bolts in and tighten evenly, you will eventually get it. As far as the brace if you go that route, it is also a pain to figure out if you have an early 964. It seems that it will not fit, but kudos to Rob for guiding me through it. One of the line is secured with a small bracket, and Rob told me to loosen it and then gently bend the line ever so slightly, and slide the brace right to left like a jigsaw puzzle. Bam, it fit!
Old 12-17-2019, 11:38 AM
willmip
Racer

Well, I got there in the end. You can see in my second picture above that what was happening was the 'lip' of the bush was folding in under the bracket as it went on due to the tight fit.

A hairdryer to keep things a bit softer than the ambient 5C, and a pick to keep easing the lip out from under the bracket as it squeezed on finally did the trick. The bush
on the other end that did not need to sit inside a channel on the rack was no problem at all.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (12-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Replaced steering rack bushing, can't get aligned