Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Hub issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Meatball911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Hub issue

I am replacing my struts with euro spec Bilsteins and have run into an issue with the front driver side wheel hub. The standard Bilsteins HD fit but the shorter euro spec do not. We believe it is a bent wheel hub. Has anyone run into this issue? What could cause it? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether a used hub makes sense or if I should upgrade and or swap anything else while I'm in there? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't understand what part doesn't fit and how exactly it doesn't fit.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Meatball911
Advanced

Sorry for the confusion. A local shop is doing the install so I am a working off secondhand information. The shop called and said that they must replace a bent wheel hub. After some thought, I assume that the carrier portion of the front wheel assembly (not just the hub) on the driver's side, where the lower portion of the strut attaches, is bent. The problem I have is that the car has never been in an accident and did not vibrate or make noise prior to the install. The shop is very respected and works on may similar vehicles (street and race). The tech said that they discovered the problem when trying to install the new strut. The shop previously install Bilstein HDs but was suppose to install the euro spec RS struts which are not as long. My question is essentially does this make sense that a long strut would fit a bent carrier but not a shorter version? The other 3 struts are in the car with no problem. If so, then I will replace the bent portion but want to know if Anyone has suggestions for other part replacements or upgrades.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you mean the upright to which the hub is pressed into. It sounds strange though. How can the old damper/strut fit but not the new one? Is there any damage to the old damper? If not, it is hard to see how it would fit to a bent upright. The lenght of the damper shouldn't matter for the mounting, only the ride height.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Meatball911
Advanced

UPDATE: The work is complete. Here is what was installed: Bilstein 964 RSR (VE3-05767) fronts and rear struts, new bump stops and sleeves, the front left spindle and tie-rod end, and align/corner balance. As a follow up, the local P-car shop was never able to explain why they were able to install a new set of Bilstein HDs but not the 2nd (and originally requested) new set of shorter RSR struts, if in fact the spindle was bent when I brought the vehicle in for work despite no vibration or alignment issues and being inspected by a local Porsche dealer only months before. It is my opinion that the shop tech bent the spindle trying to remove the old original struts and forced the 1st set of Bilsteins in before realizing what he had done. I visually inspected the old parts and there was no damage to anything but the bolt area and tie-rod. Unfortunately, this shop passed all the blame to me as well as costs. To make matters worse, when I finally agreed to replace the spindle I told them I found a new used spindle and had the new part shipped directly to them. The shop called after they received the part and said it was perfect but that the tech grabbed a part that they had ordered and I would need to pay for that part instead. I explained that I specifically ask for my part and that their part was 3x times the price but they refused to do anything about the overcharge. When the dust (and BS) settled, my over all bill was 250% of the estimate, they had my car for more than 3 weeks.

Here is a picture after the suspension work and before the bodyshop visit. The body shop installed the RSR split front lip spoiler, FVD air ducts, fixed the sad face, filled in the front license plate holes, re-sprayed the front and rear bumpers, and installed new door sill trim on the rockers and shark fins. (THANK YOU ERIK at Porsche Minneapolis for the awesome service in sourcing the door sill trim with short notice)!

Well, after another week I finally got my car back and can have some fun! Here is a quick picture and one with my son from yesterdays July 4th Cars and Coffee in Minnesota.
Attached Images    
Old 07-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I've been down that road with mine as well. I no longer bring it to the shop unless absolutely necessary and do 95% of my own work. (And everybody else's too, lol)

Still , I like the shop here in Connecticut I ended up using as my backup, so no fault to them. But I've just had my fill of being overcharged and lied to and spoken to like I'm ignorant by others.

Enough of that. Enjoy the car now that it's done. You'll find an honest shop soon enough and no more bs...

Man, stories like these make me want to open a shop and put everyone out of business...
Old 07-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Meatball911
Advanced

Thanks Goughary. Yes, and in fact before kids I was able to do most of the work myself. However, between bikes, strollers, toys and the like I have lost nearly all my garage space. This experience certainly reminds me of the importance of having my own space. Time to go garage/car-cave shopping!

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Hub issue