Sponsored by:

spoiler mechanism on suicide mission

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Blue Haze
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoiler mechanism on suicide mission

While my car was stored for a few months, the rear spoiler spontaneously fully extended - very odd. In doing so it pressed hard against the car cover which caused one of the arms of the spoiler mechanism to actually pop off one of the sleeved-bolt things that provide a pivoting point. Helpfully the bolt was sitting loose nearby, and I was able to screw it back in and it seems fine, very well held; strange that it would be forced out.

To make matters worse, after removing the gear linkage and reinstalling it, on reconnecting the motor, it started spinning, but it seems in the wrong direction, as the motor just mangled the cable of the gear mechanism. Doh-I-Y moment. £ 250 later, I have a new gear mechanism ready to go in. The spoiler moves up-and-down freely, but the motor is still spinning continuously, even with the microswitches disconnected. And, even with the control unit in the passenger footwell disconnected, it still keeps spinning.

I'm thinking that, given that the motor is getting power regardless of the microswitches or control unit, the fault is likely to be some kind of short circuit in the spoiler wiring loom?

Last edited by Blue Haze; 06-11-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, you got to thru that harness and see what's going on. Sounds like you got two wires spliced together some home.

You could always systematically go thru the fuses and see which one stops the motor from turning on. May give you an idea of what's going on.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:38 AM
968norway
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a spoiler control unit under the passenger seat on 89-90 models or in the the passenger footwell on later models. You could disconnect it and see what happens and if you can borrow a functioning one see if the problem is there.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:04 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Haze
While my car was stored for a few months, the rear spoiler spontaneously fully extended - very odd. In doing so it pressed hard against the car cover which caused one of the arms of the spoiler mechanism to actually pop off one of the sleeved-bolt things that provide a pivoting point. Helpfully the bolt was sitting loose nearby, and I was able to screw it back in and it seems fine, very well held; strange that it would be forced out.

To make matters worse, after removing the gear linkage and reinstalling it, on reconnecting the motor, it started spinning, but it seems in the wrong direction, as the motor just mangled the cable of the gear mechanism. Doh-I-Y moment. £ 250 later, I have a new gear mechanism ready to go in. The spoiler moves up-and-down freely, but the motor is still spinning continuously, even with the microswitches disconnected. And, even with the control unit in the passenger footwell disconnected, it still keeps spinning.

I'm thinking that, given that the motor is getting power regardless of the microswitches or control unit, the fault is likely to be some kind of short circuit in the spoiler wiring loom?
Suggest you start at Fuse 37 to isolate the circuit first, then move on to the centre console switch to see if there is a "live" output. Don't forget that (on some models) there is a small "additional control unit" under the RH seat in the spoiler system as well as the spoiler control unit.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:12 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be rodent damage. I would take a look for tell tale signs on the exposed areas of wiring...
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ras62
It could be rodent damage. I would take a look for tell tale signs on the exposed areas of wiring...
Kinda what I was thinking. Got some damaged wires somewhere.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Blue Haze
Advanced

Thank you gents; upon further inspection I realized I had the wrong control unit in the passenger footwell; looked similar (any idea what it is for?), but the one in charge of the spoiler is under the OSF/Driver's seat. I opened it up and found one of the relays welded shut; I managed to get it working again with some contact cleaner and gentle persuasion, but I am keen to replace it as I suspect it could easily weld itself again. Has anyone done this? The relay is marked A1059-A203 - I can only see it mentioned (no pics) on some US component sites.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

check on ebay for a Tyco V23072-C1061-A303 Relay
It's the same relay but encased in plastic cover.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Blue Haze
Advanced

Originally Posted by mojorizing
check on ebay for a Tyco V23072-C1061-A303 Relay
It's the same relay but encased in plastic cover.
Many thanks

Quick Reply: spoiler mechanism on suicide mission