Sponsored by:

Trip Report: A wet Hill Country Texas run

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip Report: A wet Hill Country Texas run

A few weeks ago tfitch03 posted about a local trip open to anyone with the desire to take their Porsche out and visit some of the nicest twisties here in Texas. Being close to the destination, I was in. This became an even firmer commitment once I got the green light from the wife. I headed out from Austin early in the am and arrived to find fellow rennlisters tfitch03 and vagluv doing their best kickstarting the synapses with some coffee. The ride up had been very foggy and somewhat wet, and the conversation naturally turned to the current weather conditions. As the remainder of the crew arrived the brain trust had given carful consideration to the 80% chance of rain, and decided the weatherman was quite off his rocker. The team would proceed with this fantastic idea, no matter the cost. The weather kept most of the traffic down on the very well known 'Twisted Sisters' route which we were traveling, but mother nature kept the road wet enough to keep the spirited driving down a bit. But not too much. The low clouds made for some very spectacular backdrops, even if the views were muted a bit. Along the way many challenges were placed, most notably the multiple British sports cars (MG, Austin Healey, etc). At the time these guys were quite frustrating due to the slow speed motoring they were involved with, and the distinct lack of curtesy to pull off after a train of 911s are 'on your 6' for many miles. Now that I've had time to think about those motorists, I suspect they simply didn't want to risk the Lucas electric failing in the wet weather by stopping

The ride to Fredericksburg was quite foggy, but this photos only shows a bit of it.

We didn't discriminate at all. You could drive anything as long as it was a red 964.....or it had to at least be German.....or a classic Mustang.

...and the two wheel variety of aircooled BMW motorcycles were represented as well (R1100GS and R1200GS)

After a short warm-up trip the crew was ready for some food at IHOP. Food was as expected, but several of the staff stayed glued to the parking lot as we started off again.

Our Tourmeister Tom. (yea he was that happy all weekend)

On the road we found spacious and sweeping roads through valleys

and some tighter twisties.

Along with some roadside safety meetings.

Somehow the group made it back to home base with only memories and a lot of road grime.

but the 964s were still smiling.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:11 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Here are some of the image captures from the GoPro I had. As a relatively slow driver, I contribute by filming the pack with a video. It does a much better job of showing the dampness of the day, btw. These are out of order, but enjoy the comments

To your right, you will see a GS rider wearing very bright clothing. He went the wrong way.

Here if vagluv passing me on a country road (btw I let him pass)

I tried to read this word, but it was quite foreign to me. I just assumed it said to keep pushing.

Or perhaps it was the instructions to this guy. Who traveled at least 10 mph under the posted limit. I passed safely, it took way too long.

When not tailing another driver, the road was fantastic even if it were wet.

Here you can see one of those little British bastards, trying to keep his vehicle from completely falling apart, never to be started again. This guy was actually very nice, and moved to far right to let us pass. His friends....not so much.

Some of the country roads we traveled near Luckenbach.

More country roads

Sure this uphill curve looks scary, but we were poking at 20mph due to the very slow British car ahead of the pack...not moving over.

Matt our mustang driver pointing to my 964. I think he was saying something along the lines of 'This is the best example of an air cooled 964 I have ever seen'

Your author looking at something at the ground. No idea, but wanted to include proof I was there.

We found a really neat Texas dive bar to rest for a bit. Nice people, and some live music being picked inside.

I was tailing our '69 Mustang, and clocked this particular curve at 60mph. Surprisingly that classic american iron held like a champ and was a blast to watch.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:49 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like you guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing your trip and pics.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:53 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome write up! Here are a few more random shots.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:44 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Awesome trip! And perfect Rennlist group trip inspiration.
OK, Central North Carolina 964 owners... we need to get our act together and plan a trip like this too.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:47 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

A great trip! Lots of stories, and some good white knuckled driving.

Here are the random shots I took. All iPhone, but I think a few turned out good.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:00 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like all had a wonderful time. Great pics
Old 04-14-2015, 06:52 PM
RW964
Racer

Hey fasterlaster looks like you had a damp but real fun trip we may have been on the Porsche and Pollen run that weekend .. I wanted to ask you on the picture where you said "
When not tailing another driver, the road was fantastic even if it were wet." was that on the Twisted Sisters on 337 seems like I remember a section looking like the picture. Well anyhow 337 has to be the best section out of all the sisters . Glad all were safe
Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome pics. Wish I was there! I just bought that D&D T-shirt too!
Old 04-14-2015, 07:53 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Look's like a fun time indeed!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 AM
fasterlaster
Racer

Originally Posted by RW964
Hey fasterlaster looks like you had a damp but real fun trip we may have been on the Porsche and Pollen run that weekend .. I wanted to ask you on the picture where you said "
When not tailing another driver, the road was fantastic even if it were wet." was that on the Twisted Sisters on 337 seems like I remember a section looking like the picture. Well anyhow 337 has to be the best section out of all the sisters . Glad all were safe
I do believe that was 337. Good eye!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Round 2 coming up Saturday May 14. If you are in south Tx (or just feel like a road trip) come join us!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Opo
Nordschleife Master

Received 207 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tfitch03
Round 2 coming up Saturday May 14. If you are in south Tx (or just feel like a road trip) come join us!
I'm in , keep me posted
Old 04-25-2016, 10:11 PM
berk
Instructor

Originally Posted by tfitch03
Originally Posted by Opo
I'm in , keep me posted
impact bumpers can join?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:17 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by berk
impact bumpers can join?
Of course! The more the merrier. Know anyone else who would like to come along??

Quick Reply: Trip Report: A wet Hill Country Texas run