Sponsored by:

dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,351 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
I just shot the following with an ambient temp of 68F. After a 20 or so minute highway cruise at a fairly constant load while in 5th gear. There was maybe a 3 or 4 minute cooling off drive from the highway to my place.

The catalytic converter heat shield looking through the left side rear wheel opening. I have measured the cat itself at well over 700 degrees. And I wouldn't be surprised if it went another couple hundred degrees above that in some situations.

The elbow on the primary muffler

I had only ever paid attention to the catalytic converter and the primary muffler. Even going so far as to put several thermocouples on the primary when I was trying to figure out what type of resin to use on a fiberglass engine capsule. Completely ignoring the amount of heat coming from the secondary bypass which i am kinda shocked was 473F this time around. I remember the sections of pipe that are bent having the highest temperature but I don't remember it being that high. It will be interesting to see what happens at a sustained high load situation with air blowing across it.
Do you know what the heat rating of the plug wires are? I would assume they are >600F? I have no doubt the restrictive cat has a lot to do with the temperatures you are seeing across the system. Elbows of course will create turbulence which would generate more heat. I am running a 100 Cell cat and magnaflow free flow muffler the entire system is far less restrictive than the factory setup and runs much cooler. I do know my turbo will see exhaust flow temps as high as 1200 degrees I have a K themocouple permanently mounted to read Intake and exhaust temps. Usually it runs between 900 and 1100 but it is a turbo which always runs hotter.

There is no shielding on the turbo but it is single plug. With all that my plug wires on my C2 are in great shape and have 20k track miles 60k in total. Dual driver so the temps have gotten up there. I am not sure how much the heat shields actually do and they are made of plastic sit closer to the exhaust and I would assume would show signs of melting if they exceeded 600 degrees but could be wrong about that. I do know I get better air flow on the track without them.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
For SANE $$$, great sound, less weight and similar horsepower results, it's hard to beat: a cat bypass with a primary muffler bypass. The gold standard.

$200-300 for a cat bypass
$200 for a primary bypass
Make sure your airbox is drilled too.

With that set up, you're not part of a "product development" team, and there's no drone, bumper mods or heat problems....
with this set up, does the cat bypass actually change the sound or just drops weight?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Installing a cat bypass will give you more sound compared to just a primary or secondary bypass.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:51 PM
browse964
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

LouZ - "Got a Fabspeed dual outlet 6 or 7 years ago and love the sound. I added a restrictor to the driver's side exhaust for DD, set @ 75% closed. This eliminates any droan and keeps it from being too loud. (I open up both exhausts for the track)."

I have this exhaust (and big cams, motec, etc) and like the option of turning down the sound sometimes! Can you provide more details as to what you installed as a restrictor and where in the system it goes...

Thanks and sorry for the highjack of the OP thread
Old 07-25-2015, 07:00 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by browse964
LouZ - "Got a Fabspeed dual outlet 6 or 7 years ago and love the sound. I added a restrictor to the driver's side exhaust for DD, set @ 75% closed. This eliminates any droan and keeps it from being too loud. (I open up both exhausts for the track)."

I have this exhaust (and big cams, motec, etc) and like the option of turning down the sound sometimes! Can you provide more details as to what you installed as a restrictor and where in the system it goes...

Thanks and sorry for the highjack of the OP thread
PM sent. I can take pix in Sept when I remove the exhaust tip to open it up for when I run my next DE.

Quick Reply: dual exhaust?