Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:53 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The primary bypass gives more high rpm power and torque, as compared to the secondary which gives more in the midrange. Secondary is a bit noisier and deaper sounding than the primary bypass. Personally I prefer the primary sound.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
Sport cat is much more livable for a street car than cat delete. Otherwise, you'll be breathing unburned hydrocarbons at every stoplight (think about how it smells to drive behind an old beater taxicab belching blue smoke). You'll also smell of fuel/exhaust after even the shortest drive. It's particularly obnoxious if you have a cab or targa. You can also forget about the significant other joining you for rides or allowing you to bring the kids.
I have no cat and I've never had an issue with foul smell in the cabin. Granted I have an aftermarket exhaust, so it may be different compared to running stock and bypassing the cat and primary muffler.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

thanks so much fellas!
Im absorbing this information like a sponge!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
thanks so much fellas!
Im absorbing this information like a sponge!
Just throwing out another relatively inexpensive option

964 3.8RS was the first to use what became 993 headers, these will bolt on to a 964 on the left side, the driver side will need to have the flanges rotated 90° unless you use 993 heads

You will have to figure out how to fit the side mufflers in the narrow body fenders or do what the 911 guys do and use a transverse rear mounted banana of some sort

here are some pics of the 963 3.8RS setup

Here are pics of a transverse bannana adapted to 993 headers

or adapt a Magnaflow

or do what they did on the C4RS l/w rally cars

Old 04-03-2015, 10:03 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
Sport cat is much more livable for a street car than cat delete.
And you won't pass registration in a lot of places without one...plus they're polar bear friendly
Old 04-03-2015, 10:39 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love my Fabspeed one !

Old 04-04-2015, 05:17 AM
Behr 964
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new system consisting of a Dansk CAT bypass, Dansk cup pipe (replaces primary muffler), Dansk secondary muffler and a Dansk single outlet/tailpipe. All through the guys at Type911.

I've had this on three weeks now since the reseal and have to say I love it and glad I followed forum advice.

I can't describe the exhaust note, other than awesome. No drone. Not too noisy with windows rolled up. It's got that bassy low end with a snarl at the top end. Very cool. Kids love it
Old 05-17-2015, 11:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Had a chance to try my dual exhaust.
When the car starts in the morning it is very old school 911. It settles down to a very bass like tone however.
When driving it sounds great. Not screaming, but not quiet. Again, very old school air cooled sound. Really nice. No complaints. Makes the drive an experience.

Because I live in a condo building, I may have to switch back to stock exhaust. I feel like i will be almost clipping the nuts off the car, but alas, I want to keep the peace in the building.
With my Light weight flywheel it also is rev happy, thus the car get noticed....
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2015, 05:43 PM
NoSub Dan
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cat bypass and G-pipe. great sound, low $$.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Given that i have headers, what dual tip/ muffler options are available?
I currently have B&B headers with their street muffler and dual tips.

Would like to try another set of tips and possibly a muffler too.
Is this possible with my current headers?
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2015, 12:21 AM
Smokey7766
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love My fabspeed....its set up not to be mild but massively aggressive....it draws more attention than any V-8 classic beater buggies....and sounds twice as mean...nothing better than a 3.8 with a dual exhaust
Old 06-06-2015, 01:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

My dual headers and exhaust is for sale.
Putting the car back to concours.

However, What options do i have in replacing primary muffler on the stock exhaust system?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:31 PM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSub Dan
Cat bypass and G-pipe. great sound, low $$.
That's exactly what I have, I love the sound it makes. I bought a used fabspeed bypass and used G pipe. This setup cost me less than 300 bucks and I am very happy with it.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

I've had a primary bypass and a secondary gpipe bypass. Different times. I'd like to try a jpipe or the cargraphic pipe that looks like a jpipe but is a little longer loop....

Here's what I know. I know a lot of guys are likely to disagree, but the car runs the best and has the most consistent power across the curve and is the most drive able with the stock exhaust. That's also with the Steve Wong chip.
I can't speak for the other aftermarket full exhaust packages. But all things being equal and not changing the air flow in and the subsequent mixture and engine management and actually tuning the car to take advantage of a more free flowing exhaust with less back pressure, my guess is that the motor will still run best with what it was designed to run with.

That said, it's summer, and the gpipe is hanging in my garage and the next time the car is on jack stands, the gpipe is going back on. I love the sound. I'll deal with the issues it comes with and I'll like it. But in the fall when I put my secondary back on, the car will run better again, and I'll likely feel better till the next spring when the windows are open and I'll want to hear more sound again...lol...
But...if I had the money and time, I'd ship my car to Steve wiener and have him make it fast, loud and run smoothly all in one fell swoop...and actually get some noticeable horsepower for the money. For me, a few k for an aftermarket exhaust that doesn't give me a huge improvement (on its own) is a bit of a waste. My gpipe was 28 dollars on eBay...I can deal with that for some fun sound. If I were looking for 5-10-15 horsepower, I'd just take out 50 pounds of weight and tell the girlfriend to stay home, save another 120lbs...and that 170 lbs of weight savings would go way farther than a maxiflow dyna pipe dual outlet 5 inch diameter cat bypass stainless steel supra manifold atomic booster thing....with gold tips...
Lol
Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Contact Flying tomato and ask him what he thought of the sound of my C2. I would say it is similar to hepkat63 in sound level and throatiness.

Simple and cheap dansk 100cell cat (to keep it legal) with magnaflow 3"in 3" out muffler, g pipe, cup air box and your done. I added the 4" dansk tip which opened the sound up a little. Very nice sound and quite responsive. It has a nice growl at idle and gets progressively louder as you get up in the rpms. No drown inside and is quieter inside than outside but not obnoxiously loud although it does have a low frequency rumble when in the garage.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: dual exhaust?