Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well, the cree bulbs are in !

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:05 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I installed these in my driving lights and headlights. I did this three months a go and my lights have never gone off in the night. and the headlight bulbs fit right in. The driving lights I drilled the back of the case to fit.
http://www.headlightrevolution.com/G..._p/7010309.htm
Old 10-25-2015, 09:45 PM
gfunk
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not particularly interested in changing to LEDs but I'm curious about what sets the headlight pattern. Are the LED replacement bulbs different than the stock bulbs in terms of their beam shape or is that controlled by the reflector around the bulb?
Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gfunk
I'm not particularly interested in changing to LEDs but I'm curious about what sets the headlight pattern. Are the LED replacement bulbs different than the stock bulbs in terms of their beam shape or is that controlled by the reflector around the bulb?
The beam pattern is dependent upon the light source (filament/led) being accurately positioned at the reflector's focal point. That ensures the output from the reflector is correctly focused for "bending" (beam pattern) by the lens.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Bizman928
Former Vendor

Default Woodypeck LED Bulbs

Correct. The light pattern comes form the position of the lights source and the reference it has to the reflector and then the Headlamp lens.

See the photo here - our Woodypeck LED bulbs follow the correct positioning of a standard Halogen bulb that it replaces. Many LED copies are available on the market that don't have this function!

Woodypeck replacement CREE LED Perfect positioning against std. Halogen bulbs

Last edited by Bizman928; 10-28-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Bizman928
Former Vendor

Default Woodypeck LED Upgrade for the 964

Here you can see that the light pattern and cut off is exactly the same from the LED vs the old Halogen bulb! It is the lens that does all the light pattern on the road if the LED chips are in the correct place!

Just better brighter crisp light exactly where you want it in the correct light pattern.
Attached Images   
Old 10-29-2015, 01:27 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Can you get the car any *closer* to the wall, so that all we see is a bright blob of light?

Seriously, a picture at night with the headlights about 20 feet from a straight featureless wall would be tops. Whenever you're ready.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:12 PM
Bizman928
Former Vendor

Default Woodypeck LED bulbs Perfect upgrade to your 964!

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
Can you get the car any *closer* to the wall, so that all we see is a bright blob of light?

Seriously, a picture at night with the headlights about 20 feet from a straight featureless wall would be tops. Whenever you're ready.
Seriously????
We have supplied many photos of the cut-off from a wide variety of cars on various forums on Rennlist to show you the cut-off is exactly the same as a standard bulb - yet you choose to ignore them! Our 964, 928, 968, 944, 911, Shogun, Ranger, Isuzu, VW, Land Rover, Harley Davidson customers have posted a wide variety of photos of the lights on many forums and yet you continue to mock and ignore the reality that is before you.

NO "Blobs" of light - how insulting!
Just a perfect shape of light and cut-off seen here at any distance from the wall - it doesn't matter the distance from the wall - just the matching light spread and cut-off compared to the Standard Halogen - just better light and bright! No scatter, No blinding light - just Identical Light spread to a STD Halogen and better Light!
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2015, 03:40 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Would you be so kind as to guide me to such a good quality pic? I can not remember seeing one.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:35 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you be so kind as to guide me to such a good quality pic? I can not remember seeing one.
Why don't you bore off
Old 11-01-2015, 04:59 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Originally Posted by freedman
Why don't you bore off
Tsk tsk!

Rennlistuser8
Perhaps it would be more helpful if you were to explain why you need to see something different to all the previous pics.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:40 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

OK back at it:
Where I live, laws are silly strict. At inspection, they check lighting with an aim machine that (roughly, I am not that technically informed about this) displays the lighting pattern of the headlight.
The best approximation of this test is to line up the car with a flat featureless wall at about 6m. and look at the pattern projected. Bright spots, irregular or plain wrong cutoff will fail inspection.

I am all for better lighting on our cars, but I will not spend money on unproven bulbs. I have been asking for a petter picture against a wall forever on many threads, on many 911 fora, to no avail to this day. Or I have missed the evidence, in which case I aoplogise (and would be grateful for directions to a good pic).

below is what the picture would like to see. Freedman, snarky remarks do not make for an adequate answer.

Edit: I have gone through Bizman's website, and I see the pictures on this page (picture 14) :

http://woodypeck.com/?product=porsch...d-upgrade-kit#

That is a horrible pattern, with a bright center spot and no linear cutoff to be seen. Better pics would help?
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

OK back at it:
Where I live, laws are silly strict. At inspection, they check lighting with an aim machine that (roughly, I am not that technically informed about this) displays the lighting pattern of the headlight.
The best approximation of this test is to line up the car with a flat featureless wall at about 6m. and look at the pattern projected. Bright spots, irregular or plain wrong cutoff will fail inspection.

I am all for better lighting on our cars, but I will not spend money on unproven bulbs. I have been asking for a petter picture against a wall forever on many threads, on many 911 fora, to no avail to this day. Or I have missed the evidence, in which case I aoplogise (and would be grateful for directions to a good pic).

below is what the picture would like to see. Freedman, snarky remarks do not make for an adequate answer.

Edit: I have gone through Bizman's website, and I see the pictures on this page (picture 14) :

http://woodypeck.com/?product=porsch...d-upgrade-kit#

That is a horrible pattern, with a bright center spot and no linear cutoff to be seen. Better pics would help?
Thanks for the clarification. Your pic shows a standard Euro beam pattern (UK is reversed) for a basic headlight but other patterns are available, moreso nowadays. I can only speak form personal experiences but, for most EU countries, headlights are required to be checked regularly as part of the routine testing, using a beam setter. See here for the UK testing standards: http://www.ukmot.com/manual/1.8/All-Headlamps; the diagrams are near the bottom of page 3. However, the 964 Bosch headlight does not project the "Euro" pattern as such but does meet the legal requirements - I have had both LHD and RHD 964 lights checked. Bizmans photo is a good example of the correct 964 pattern and this does meet the regulations. FWIW, and not knowing your location, would Porsche have sold 964s/911s fitted with standard headlights (not H5) there? If so, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:01 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Switzerland here.
The 964 was homologated with H4s, and with the same pattern as in the picture above.
Anything else fails inspection, and since it is a safety issue, I can no longer drive the car, only to bring it to a garage and then re-start the inspection.

There is the other issue of bright spots, that I am not qualified to determine/quantify, but that can not be good.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Switzerland here.
The 964 was homologated with H4s, and with the same pattern as in the picture above.
Anything else fails inspection, and since it is a safety issue, I can no longer drive the car, only to bring it to a garage and then re-start the inspection.

There is the other issue of bright spots, that I am not qualified to determine/quantify, but that can not be good.
Looks like H4's are you're only choice, you keep saying they are not correct but in your own words you are not qualified to make a judgement on if they are.

What chance has the seller got in making sure anything he sells will pass your strict tests.

If it was me selling the bulbs I'd strike Switzerland right off my countries I'd sell to
Old 11-02-2015, 03:24 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Replies in red

Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr.
Looks like H4's are you're only choice, you keep saying they are not correct but in your own words you are not qualified to make a judgement on if they are.

I would be qualified to make a good judgement, if only the seller would provide on picture, that I have been asking for since,... forever. It is not rocket science to look at a projected pattern on a featureless wall.

What chance has the seller got in making sure anything he sells will pass your strict tests.

My tests are not strict. I am willing to take a chance, provided I get good preliminary info. This thread (and others he started on Rennlist) is peppered with pics, but none that can be used to study the projected light and its pattern. The few that are poor approximations display a poor light pattern, with bright spots.

If it was me selling the bulbs I'd strike Switzerland right off my countries I'd sell to

I wouldn't. I would prove that they are indeed complying with the rules (no matter how silly they can be), and that would strengthen my position
Edit: FWIW, the HID in my wife's 2006 MB 350 have the exact same patern as the H4s in my 964. So any type of headlight should have the same projected pattern. Makes for simpler tests of these leds.... Of which we still do not have any good quality picture.

Last edited by GeorgeK; 11-05-2015 at 05:17 AM.

Quick Reply: well, the cree bulbs are in !