Sponsored by:

Proper Introduction - New 964 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Proper Introduction - New 964 Owner

I guess it's about time to introduce myself and my car. I'm not exactly new to Rennlist, but I am new to the 964 section. In fact I was a member of this forum before it was Rennlist. Anyone remember Porschelist back in the mid 90's? No sub categories like today. Just one big email list of diehard Porsche guys.

I am however new to the 964 model. I've had a couple earlier cars and a 3.2L Carrera but this car is a whole new ballgame for me.

The car: A black on black 1991 C4 with 111,000 miles and only 4 days old to me. I picked it up last Saturday and drove the new to me car home in a snowstorm Is there a better way to get acquainted with the C4's AWD system?

I got a decent deal on the car, however it does have some cosmetic and mechanical issues that need attention. The car was the prior owners daily driver for the last 60,000 miles, so it isn't a garage queen by any standard. In fact, the PO was so complacent with the cosmetics of the car that the rear bridge spoiler is epoxied on and not in clean fashion either!!! He was however a great guy to deal with and was in tune with the mechanical nature of the car tending to the proper maintenance. In his three years of ownership he did the following:
  • New Clutch at 60k
  • New Starter
  • New AC compressor
  • New oil cooler fan
  • New AC condenser fan
  • Fuel pump
  • Replaced one of the differential locks
  • All new wheel bearings
  • New rotors and pads
  • Recent wires and plugs
  • AWD system flush
  • Brake system flush
  • Replaced every oil line except line from filter housing to engine case

What he left for me to take care of:
  • Front sunroof seal needs replaced
  • Driver door seal needs replaced
  • Left hood hing needs to be replaced
  • Right outer tie rod has some play
  • Rear outer CV boots are torn
  • Front brake pad sensors broke during pad replacement
  • Oil level sender is bad (gauge is pegged)
  • Leak from right side of engine (lots of smoking coming from right rear wheel arch when I stop the car- and occasional oil burning smell in cabin)
  • Rear windshield wiper arm broken
  • Small amount of corrosion starting at windshield - common?
  • PPI showed weeping (moisture) at the front differential output seal
  • Emergency brake needs to be adjusted
  • Bizarre windshield glass phenomenon at lower center of windshield - Looks like frost on glass, but it's in the structure of the glass itself. Never seen anything like it.
  • Misc. cosmetic issues

With the purchase I got the 17" twist wheels with winter tires and a set of 17" 993 Cup II wheels with summer tires. He also threw in the PDT-999 software and PC cable as well as a handful of parts to fix some of the laundry list above. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. I wasn't looking for a mint condition garage queen. This car suited me perfectly and I can put the kids in the car and not worry about scratches or dings.

If you guys have any advice for a new 964 owner, please chime in. Anything at this mileage that I need to start looking for with regard to preventive maintenance? I have receipts for maintenance going back to 50,000 miles that just about total what I paid for the car. That somewhat started me and I began to wonder what I got myself into........

I am elated to be here amongst you folks. This car blows my mind. A much stronger feeling car than the '84 Targa I had, despite the extra weight (and that can be fixed!). The torque above 4500 rpm is phenomenal and though people complain about losing the rawness from the impact bumper cars, I'd say Porsche did very well keeping the raw factor and blending in some refinement. This car is a winner!!!!!

Last edited by Porschenut_Lee; 03-18-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:00 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the 964 family. Can't wait to see what you have in store to make it your own.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:30 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome! How much fun was the snow storm... I would be sideways the entire time I think (at least when I wasn't on the highway!!) Great looking car. I don't know anything about the rear spoiler but I kind of like it. Does it lift as well?

Cheers,
Bryan
Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 AM
9six4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the 964 world. It's great to see your car getting some winter mileage. Mine is just waiting until the road salt has gone. My car also had the twist wheels when I got it, not my favorite, but they are lighter than cups. There are lots of places on the right side of the engine where oil can leak from, but I'm sure you've already read through all of the related posts.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
Welcome! How much fun was the snow storm... I would be sideways the entire time I think (at least when I wasn't on the highway!!) Great looking car. I don't know anything about the rear spoiler but I kind of like it. Does it lift as well?

Cheers,
Bryan
Bryan,

The car was surprisingly smooth in the snow. I didn't know what to expect, but the car didn't miss a beat.

The rear spoiler adds a nice subtle aesthetic touch in my opinion. It does raise and lower as it sits atop the factory spoiler.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I do have some thoughts on the oil leak. I might try the power steering shaft seal. I think I read that this one leaks on the heat exchanger on the right side and can make a lot of smoke.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:23 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Welcome (back) to the 964 forum.

Very impressive drive home, great picture. That experience, and the previous Porsches you've owned show you are really tapped-in to how rewarding the 964 experience is. The perfect old/new balance as it's so often described.

I like the way you kindly described the previous owner 's care of the car; we all take care of our cars in our own unique way. Enjoy sharing it with your kids!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 03-19-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the water drops on the car after a journey like that I would say that he kept on top of the polishing which is a good sign that he looked after it. BTW the bonnet badge has been replaced with a later 996 style one.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Congratulations, looks like a great car. Its also good to see another 964 in New England.

We will be happy to help you get the car sorted the way you want it.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
BTW the bonnet badge has been replaced with a later 996 style one.
I did not realize this. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:29 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Looking at the water drops on the car after a journey like that I would say that he kept on top of the polishing which is a good sign that he looked after it. BTW the bonnet badge has been replaced with a later 996 style one.
Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Congratulations, looks like a great car. Its also good to see another 964 in New England.

We will be happy to help you get the car sorted the way you want it.
Rob,

I'm in southern Maine, so not far from you. I may call on you if I have any questions and need another car to look at if I get in over my head with DIY projects.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome!

Check the lines going to the oil filter housing in the passenger side rear fender well for your leak. The line that runs down around the engine to the driver's side of the case was the culprit for me with a similar scenario.

This thread will help you diagnose...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...es-thread.html
Old 03-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vegas993
Welcome!

Check the lines going to the oil filter housing in the passenger side rear fender well for your leak. The line that runs down around the engine to the driver's side of the case was the culprit for me with a similar scenario.

This thread will help you diagnose...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...es-thread.html
Coincidentally this is the only oil line that hasn't yet been replaced. I have the line in a box of parts from the previous owner. Thanks for the link!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear your positive comments on comparing the 964 experience over earlier your 911s. Looking forward to hearing more. Enjoy!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:04 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

congrats on the purchase and welcome back to the forum.

Love the sugarloaf sticker on it too!

Quick Reply: Proper Introduction - New 964 Owner