Tit-Wagon - 964C2 - Page 7 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Super90
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 for the air con rework.

I'm starting a parts list to replace almost every component. All OE parts or better to be used. It gets hot in Texas, and my system is not cooling as well as it should!
Old 11-29-2017, 04:47 AM
964tit
User

Originally Posted by Super90 View Post
+1 for the air con rework.

I'm starting a parts list to replace almost every component. All OE parts or better to be used. It gets hot in Texas, and my system is not cooling as well as it should!
I live in Australia... gets to 100f during the day in Jan and Feb here.

I hear you on OE but sometimes when the Porsche part price is three times the OEM suppliers (such as Behr and Bosch), it's hard to justify!

These are still just cars. There's nothing magical about the AC. A good quality evaporator is still a good quality evaporator!

Gotta visit Texas one day!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 AM
Peteinjp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is very timely post as I'm getting ready to pull out the suitcase myself. I need blower motors and plan to replace all the air conditioning stuff as well. Post up any tips and tricks as you progress as well as any recommended "while you're in there" small little plastic bits etc. that should be ordered. I particularly interested as to whether or not the gaskets need to work be replaced because one of them is 70+ US dollars. I'll be shipping my order over from the US to Japan so I'm gonna try to get all done in one shot.

Pete
Old 12-01-2017, 06:38 AM
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fixed rear lid ready for adjustment.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2017, 07:03 PM
964tit
User

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
Fixed rear lid ready for adjustment.
Nice. All my parts orders have arrived. Just need to get down to the car to sort it all out.

What are you going to do once the two cars are done? It will be very disorienting for you! :P
Old 12-03-2017, 08:58 AM
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964tit View Post
Nice. All my parts orders have arrived. Just need to get down to the car to sort it all out.

What are you going to do once the two cars are done? It will be very disorienting for you! :P
I have a potential opportunity to rebuild another engine next Winter. Iĺll never be done
Old 01-13-2018, 05:03 AM
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’ve booked my car in for an air con system leak check. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. How’s your system install going?
Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
964tit
User

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
I’ve booked my car in for an air con system leak check. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. How’s your system install going?
Hey! Sorry I took a while! Yep, it's all finished. It was with my guy for five weeks. He was working on it after-hours, prob 2-8 hours per week. Very time consuming with the fuel-tank and pulling apart the whole 'suitcase'. But the time delay was really waiting for parts because we didn't know what we were going to find in there. That evaporator was manky though! I can see now why people retro-fit the 993 gear just to get the cabin filter!

This last weekend I did a return trip from Canberra to Geelong (see instagram: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/hangarbanger/ ) in the 38 degree heat. It worked well enough - though it wasn't up to modern a/c standards. But I knew it worked, because my highway buddy poured like quicksilver out of his non-ac 3.2 when we stopped for breaks, while I was comfortable.

I think you also asked for a parts list? So here goes:
  • A/C hose refrigerant 96457309705
  • A/C hose return 964-573-099-0x
  • All rubber gaskets - various
  • Evaporator 96457390100
  • L ‘squirrel cage’ blower 964-572-015-01-M253
  • R ‘squirrel cage’ blower 964-572-016-01-M253
  • Receiver Dryer 964 573 943 00
  • TX Valve 928-573-123-05
Un-related, but at the same time I also repaired the Spoiler;
  • Replaced missing ECU 964 618 212
  • Spoiler Wall 99351212100
  • And Installed all of the gearbox, cable etc…
I hear there’s some Kiwis planning on a multi-track week-long porsche tour on both Islands this year? Is that true? Sounds epic.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM
964tit
User

Originally Posted by Peteinjp View Post
Is very timely post as I'm getting ready to pull out the suitcase myself. I need blower motors and plan to replace all the air conditioning stuff as well. Post up any tips and tricks as you progress as well as any recommended "while you're in there" small little plastic bits etc. that should be ordered. I particularly interested as to whether or not the gaskets need to work be replaced because one of them is 70+ US dollars. I'll be shipping my order over from the US to Japan so I'm gonna try to get all done in one shot.

Pete
Hi Pete,

I'm about to post up my blowers and old hoses. The left-hand side blower is fine, the right squeaked a bit - might be able to be repaired. I also ordered the wrong refrigerant hose that goes to the compressor, so now I'll try sell the old one as well.

"While you're in there" - well, if all the gear is out, I'd do every seal I could, even on the TX valve. We also did the seals on the hoses running down the side of the car. Your receiver dryer is probably knackered as well, if the system has been de-gassed for long enough for condensation to ruin it. Not sure what the $70 gasket is?

Be careful with some of the (paper?) ducts under the dash. They get quite brittle with age and cost a decent amount to replace. I think my 'suitcase' had been out before for a previous owner, and they pinched one of the hoses in the frunk putting it back in - so re-installation can be quite tricky with the hoses and wiring.

My guy is an A/C expert - I'm not sure that I would have been able to do this correctly without him. He knew all of the 'tricks', such as burning off the moisture before charging and just basic experience with problem solving.

Finally, you'll need to put aside a bunch of time (several weeks) - you won't know what you'll find until you're in there. So it's inevitable that you'll have to order more stuff once you assess the dis-assembled system. Plus, you'll see that it's probably as much of a pain as dropping the engine, so you might as well refresh everything you can while you're in there.