Tit-Wagon - 964C2 - Page 7 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

964 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tit-Wagon - 964C2

Reply

Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 AM
  #91  
Super90
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Super90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 563
Default

+1 for the air con rework.

I'm starting a parts list to replace almost every component. All OE parts or better to be used. It gets hot in Texas, and my system is not cooling as well as it should!
Super90 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:47 AM
  #92  
964tit
User
Thread Starter
 
964tit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by Super90 View Post
+1 for the air con rework.

I'm starting a parts list to replace almost every component. All OE parts or better to be used. It gets hot in Texas, and my system is not cooling as well as it should!
I live in Australia... gets to 100f during the day in Jan and Feb here.

I hear you on OE but sometimes when the Porsche part price is three times the OEM suppliers (such as Behr and Bosch), it's hard to justify!

These are still just cars. There's nothing magical about the AC. A good quality evaporator is still a good quality evaporator!

Gotta visit Texas one day!
964tit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:24 AM
  #93  
Peteinjp
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 114
Default

Is very timely post as I'm getting ready to pull out the suitcase myself. I need blower motors and plan to replace all the air conditioning stuff as well. Post up any tips and tricks as you progress as well as any recommended "while you're in there" small little plastic bits etc. that should be ordered. I particularly interested as to whether or not the gaskets need to work be replaced because one of them is 70+ US dollars. I'll be shipping my order over from the US to Japan so I'm gonna try to get all done in one shot.


Pete
Peteinjp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 AM
  #94  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,434
Default

Fixed rear lid ready for adjustment.
Attached Images  
John McM is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:03 PM
  #95  
964tit
User
Thread Starter
 
964tit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
Fixed rear lid ready for adjustment.
Nice. All my parts orders have arrived. Just need to get down to the car to sort it all out.

What are you going to do once the two cars are done? It will be very disorienting for you! :P
964tit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:58 AM
  #96  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,434
Default

Originally Posted by 964tit View Post
Nice. All my parts orders have arrived. Just need to get down to the car to sort it all out.

What are you going to do once the two cars are done? It will be very disorienting for you! :P
I have a potential opportunity to rebuild another engine next Winter. I’ll never be done
John McM is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:03 AM
  #97  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,434
Default

I’ve booked my car in for an air con system leak check. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. How’s your system install going?
John McM is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:04 PM
  #98  
964tit
User
Thread Starter
 
964tit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by John McM View Post
I’ve booked my car in for an air con system leak check. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. How’s your system install going?
Hey! Sorry I took a while! Yep, it's all finished. It was with my guy for five weeks. He was working on it after-hours, prob 2-8 hours per week. Very time consuming with the fuel-tank and pulling apart the whole 'suitcase'. But the time delay was really waiting for parts because we didn't know what we were going to find in there. That evaporator was manky though! I can see now why people retro-fit the 993 gear just to get the cabin filter!

This last weekend I did a return trip from Canberra to Geelong (see instagram: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/hangarbanger/ ) in the 38 degree heat. It worked well enough - though it wasn't up to modern a/c standards. But I knew it worked, because my highway buddy poured like quicksilver out of his non-ac 3.2 when we stopped for breaks, while I was comfortable.

I think you also asked for a parts list? So here goes:
  • A/C hose refrigerant 96457309705
  • A/C hose return 964-573-099-0x
  • All rubber gaskets - various
  • Evaporator 96457390100
  • L ‘squirrel cage’ blower 964-572-015-01-M253
  • R ‘squirrel cage’ blower 964-572-016-01-M253
  • Receiver Dryer 964 573 943 00
  • TX Valve 928-573-123-05
Un-related, but at the same time I also repaired the Spoiler;
  • Replaced missing ECU 964 618 212
  • Spoiler Wall 99351212100
  • And Installed all of the gearbox, cable etc…
I hear there’s some Kiwis planning on a multi-track week-long porsche tour on both Islands this year? Is that true? Sounds epic.
964tit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 PM
  #99  
964tit
User
Thread Starter
 
964tit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 161
Default

Originally Posted by Peteinjp View Post
Is very timely post as I'm getting ready to pull out the suitcase myself. I need blower motors and plan to replace all the air conditioning stuff as well. Post up any tips and tricks as you progress as well as any recommended "while you're in there" small little plastic bits etc. that should be ordered. I particularly interested as to whether or not the gaskets need to work be replaced because one of them is 70+ US dollars. I'll be shipping my order over from the US to Japan so I'm gonna try to get all done in one shot.

Pete
Hi Pete,

I'm about to post up my blowers and old hoses. The left-hand side blower is fine, the right squeaked a bit - might be able to be repaired. I also ordered the wrong refrigerant hose that goes to the compressor, so now I'll try sell the old one as well.

"While you're in there" - well, if all the gear is out, I'd do every seal I could, even on the TX valve. We also did the seals on the hoses running down the side of the car. Your receiver dryer is probably knackered as well, if the system has been de-gassed for long enough for condensation to ruin it. Not sure what the $70 gasket is?

Be careful with some of the (paper?) ducts under the dash. They get quite brittle with age and cost a decent amount to replace. I think my 'suitcase' had been out before for a previous owner, and they pinched one of the hoses in the frunk putting it back in - so re-installation can be quite tricky with the hoses and wiring.

My guy is an A/C expert - I'm not sure that I would have been able to do this correctly without him. He knew all of the 'tricks', such as burning off the moisture before charging and just basic experience with problem solving.

Finally, you'll need to put aside a bunch of time (several weeks) - you won't know what you'll find until you're in there. So it's inevitable that you'll have to order more stuff once you assess the dis-assembled system. Plus, you'll see that it's probably as much of a pain as dropping the engine, so you might as well refresh everything you can while you're in there.
964tit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:16 AM
  #100  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,434
Default

Originally Posted by 964tit View Post
Hey! Sorry I took a while! Yep, it's all finished. It was with my guy for five weeks. He was working on it after-hours, prob 2-8 hours per week. Very time consuming with the fuel-tank and pulling apart the whole 'suitcase'. But the time delay was really waiting for parts because we didn't know what we were going to find in there. That evaporator was manky though! I can see now why people retro-fit the 993 gear just to get the cabin filter!

This last weekend I did a return trip from Canberra to Geelong (see instagram: https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/hangarbanger/ ) in the 38 degree heat. It worked well enough - though it wasn't up to modern a/c standards. But I knew it worked, because my highway buddy poured like quicksilver out of his non-ac 3.2 when we stopped for breaks, while I was comfortable.

I think you also asked for a parts list? So here goes:
  • A/C hose refrigerant 96457309705
  • A/C hose return 964-573-099-0x
  • All rubber gaskets - various
  • Evaporator 96457390100
  • L ‘squirrel cage’ blower 964-572-015-01-M253
  • R ‘squirrel cage’ blower 964-572-016-01-M253
  • Receiver Dryer 964 573 943 00
  • TX Valve 928-573-123-05
Un-related, but at the same time I also repaired the Spoiler;I hear there’s some Kiwis planning on a multi-track week-long porsche tour on both Islands this year? Is that true? Sounds epic.
wow, those hoses are $$$. Thanks for the list.

Yes, there is a South Island track tour starting in a month or so. It’s close to two weeks long. Epic roads but I won’t be going this time.
John McM is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:42 AM
  #101  
Peteinjp
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 114
Default

Thanks for that info. I have the new (Dansk) blowers, evaporator, expansion valve, drier, valves for 134a conversion also get with 134a compatible oil and some little plastic bits (clips on the servo arms,) both gaskets that fit between the suitcase and the body. I also had the mixer flap,servos rebuilt. I did not get the hoses hoping they’ll be fine and figuring I can get to them later with the suitcase in place. If I missed anything let me know. The 70$ piece I did not get- I think it’s the gasket between the 2 halves of the suitcase.

How does one one burn off the moisture before charging?

Pete
Peteinjp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:24 AM
  #102  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,434
Default

Originally Posted by Peteinjp View Post
Thanks for that info. I have the new (Dansk) blowers, evaporator, expansion valve, drier, valves for 134a conversion also get with 134a compatible oil and some little plastic bits (clips on the servo arms,) both gaskets that fit between the suitcase and the body. I also had the mixer flap,servos rebuilt. I did not get the hoses hoping they’ll be fine and figuring I can get to them later with the suitcase in place. If I missed anything let me know. The 70$ piece I did not get- I think it’s the gasket between the 2 halves of the suitcase.

How does one one burn off the moisture before charging?

Pete
i read something about propane to get rid of moisture.
John McM is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:25 AM
  #103  
John McM
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
John McM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 11,434
Default

So neither of you are replacing the condenser?
John McM is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: