Sponsored by:

Timing chain cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 11:04 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,804 Likes on 1,776 Posts
Default Timing chain cover leak

How hard or is it even practical to fix timing chain cover leak w/o dropping engine?

Or . . . what else should I do while I drop the engine this winter (I lose that term loosely living in the south)

TIA !
Old 10-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You can partially drop the engine to get at the chain covers.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

I love Rennlist !!! You are my hero of the day.

Exactly what I needed in 32 minutes.

I have those same 5 posters hanging in my garage.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:43 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

can you elaborate on this - while I'm in their . . .

"The while you were in there's are replacing the seals on the chain tensioners, also not too hard, and the o-rings on the oil bridges to the cam lobe oil rail, also not too bad."
Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't even have to do a partial drop. The thing that really gets in the way is the AC compressor mounting bracket. However I just did mine with the engine tin removed and loosened the bracket. Rear muffler will also need to be removed.

This really only works if you can get the stud behind the bracket to come out versus just removing the nut. The driver's side comes off no problem. Its the passenger's side that is the hassle.

Where are you located in the south exactly?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Dropping the engine is not hard and it gives you easy access to everything. I would suggest reconsidering it.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:38 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justin-in-athens
This really only works if you can get the stud behind the bracket to come out versus just removing the nut.
Where are you located in the south exactly?
Do you mean the timing chain cover nut/stud? Seems the nut would come off with the bracket loosened slightly aft to provide clearance, but it would take much more clearance to get the TiChCov stud out.

Birmingham, AL

Thanks.

Also - how long did it take you guys to drop an engine the first time?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Yes, the innermost cover stud on the passenger's side. The reason being is if you just remove the nut you still need to be able to pull the cover outwards, and there is not enough clearance to slide it out. You can remove the entire AC compressor bracket to gain the clearance, but for that you really need a special tool to remove the harmonic balancer from the crank.
Mine came out this way with not special coercion, but you might not have such good luck.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Some folks modify their AC bracket upon removal as to make this more easily serviced.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:12 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

So there is enough stud w/o threads to get pliers on to unscrew it (if its not stuck) The grommet washer looks thick enough.

Your not saying that if the nut comes off the stud, youre screwed because all you have is threads to grab on to.

By modify the ac bracket you mean grind off the metal that wont allow it to pass the harm bal ?

What tool? How hard to reinstall the harm bal ?

Thanks again.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

In addition to the timing chain cover leak, there are gaskets for the timing chain housing themselves which also leak and probably need replacing. You can mess with the timing in your car if you not careful with this. You can do this by removing the rear bumper and dropping the engine slightly, just loosen the rear engine mount bolts an inch or so.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Vice grips on the threads of the studs sounds ugly, but that is what was suggested to me here on RL somewhere. I ended up not having to go there because several of the studs came out with the nuts still attached.

I wish I could claim to be an expert on this, but im not. Have a look at some of the other threads on this subject. And yes, grinding off a marginal amount of material on the AC bracket doesn't harm anything...just make sure you paint it when you are done if you go this route..

I do not know the # for the harmonic balancer tool. I should note that my engine mounts were being replaced at this time as well, so the engine was easily manipulated in terms of height with a floor jack.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:05 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RicardoD
In addition to the timing chain cover leak, there are gaskets for the timing chain housing themselves which also leak and probably need replacing.
Thank you soo much for your write up on this. Probably saved me from doing the front cover gaskets and then going back and replacing the gaskets and Orings you replaced. Like doing the timing chain guide/tensioners '"while Im in there".

Cheers!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:44 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
In addition to the timing chain cover leak, there are gaskets for the timing chain housing themselves which also leak and probably need replacing. You can mess with the timing in your car if you not careful with this. You can do this by removing the rear bumper and dropping the engine slightly, just loosen the rear engine mount bolts an inch or so.
RicardoD, any tips on how to avoid messing up the timing while doing this work?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Seemed like his diy stopped at a timing issue and/or the timing chain tension so as not to change timing. He referenced literature for setting the timing. Of course you have to set both sides with the same timing.

His thread is here . . .

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-o-rings.html

Last edited by BHMav8r; 10-16-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Timing chain cover leak