Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:47 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars

It's on the tip of everyones tongues. In fact it's resulted in forum ranting. There is a clear divide within modified 964 owners...

Show Cars - those who lower their cars as much as possible with a combination of stretched tyres, low offset and even air ride.

Go Cars - those who improve performance.

On top of the world

On top of the world

Ready for show

Ready for go

Restful

Restless

The perfect spot for a picture

The perfect spot for a picture

Natural habitat

Natural habitat

Action shot

Action shot

Wheel fitment

Wheel fitment

A group of 964s

A group of 964s

At speed

At speed

Getting there

Getting there

The perfect setting

The perfect setting

Looking Mean

Looking Mean

In it's element

In it's element

A 964 movie

A 964 movie

Usually I don't show my latest rims, cos I'd rather keep it on the down low until the next V-Dub show...

Old 10-02-2014, 09:51 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Chiefyb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand Frank, what are you trying to tell us here?
Is it that you have finally got rid of those cowboy boots????
Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One look at my car tells you which group I'm in

Though I think there are some very, very nice, cars on here which could be considered both show and go
Old 10-02-2014, 10:11 AM
r15suk
Instructor

You can usually tell which group someone belongs to from the way they wear their baseball caps.

Backwards = Show;
Normal = Go!!

Cheers
Simon
Old 10-02-2014, 10:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I'm a true believer in the three "F's"

"Form Follows Function"

If you do nothing but show your car than lower may be better but after a certain point too low is just too low.

As gorgeous as this car is the stance is completely impractical and destroys the lines of the car by being too low. I must assume this has the same adjustable air shocks as the video above otherwise how do you move it without destroying the undercarriage. I also have an issue with over sized (19" or above) wheels. I see this all the time around me even better are the guys with the wheels at negative 30 degrees running on the sidewall. Must be fun to drive.

IMO even RS height is a bit too low for comfort on the streets but is excellent for the track. I set my cars for optimum performance for the track and sacrifice some performance for the street cars to improve ride quality. When I get behind the wheel I could care less what the car looks like from the outside it is all about performance for me. For me I like to set it and forget it.

I might have given you a bit more than you were asking for. Sorry if I offended anyone.

BTW I hope he isn't filling it with Diesel? LOL
Attached Images  

Last edited by cobalt; 10-02-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I'm a true believer in the three "F's"

"Form Follows Function"
I'm in the same camp.

That being said, this thread is childish. The 'stance' guys don't post crap about us for how we've built our cars. I prefer to extend the same courtesy.

Ken
Old 10-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Derek911
Racer

Default Not fair. LoL

Go vs show? I was thinking cars with 150,000 miles vs 35,000 mile garage Queens when I answered the poll. lol. Stance is relative. To me a stock car has no stance but a large percentage of the people here have lowered cars with nice stance. There should be a distinction between a lowered performance stance and too low show stance. A sensibly lowered car looks better and handles better than a stock height car and I would classify that as stance, so stance is good.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
I'm in the same camp.

That being said, this thread is childish. The 'stance' guys don't post crap about us for how we've built our cars. I prefer to extend the same courtesy.

Ken
I tried to tone it down. I must assume this is a new fad. In all my years on rennlist this has just cropped up recently and performance was always our focus in the past.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I must assume this is a new fad. In all my years on rennlist this has just cropped up recently and performance was always our focus in the past.
It's relatively recent. As the Audi/VW guys got older and had more disposable income, they turned to the 964 as it was:

1) a status car (Porsche) which was rare at shows, and would therefore attract attention
2) cheap at the time (relatively) with a low initial buy-in
3) an ideal platform for modification due to its factory coilover suspension

Since that time, prices on 964s have begun to skyrocket and I suspect you'll see fewer new 'stance'-type builds. The existing builds might trade hands a few times in the market, but I can see some of them returning to more of a stock configuration as that's where the money is. Regardless, the number of performance-focused 964s will always far outweigh the show cars.

As long as this forum doesn't morph into an iteration of Vortex, then we're good
Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

^^^^exactly....

Porsches have always been about performance, and this forum (964 in particular) has been one of the best resources for performance modifications and technical information available. It is one of the best sources for engine, suspension, brake updates and how to get the car to perform as it was designed. I really hate to see it loose that. Every time I see a thread on an over lowered over cambered car with recommendations on how to get it that low and how it handles great I cringe... But this isn't new, plenty of SWB and long hood cars have been overlowered with crappy handling bump steer for years. If you do this long enough you'll see fads come and go. At least three 911s I've had had to be raised to make them driveable. I prefer the look of a low setup. But it has to be done right and not too many invest the time and money to do so, so many are simply spun down on their collars and cambered in to fit. And as much as goes into the air ride it can't compair to a properly set up coilover. To get a 964 really low (which is dubious at best) you need to run different uprights, in porsche race cars an inverted transaxle is required to keep the proper axle geometry.

In the end everyone here is an enthusiast with different likes and dislikes, its all good, but the heart of this forum has always been a rich source of technical information, keep building on that, there are plenty of tuner sites around...
Old 10-02-2014, 11:56 AM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
It's relatively recent. As the Audi/VW guys got older and had more disposable income, they turned to the 964 as it was:

1) a status car (Porsche) which was rare at shows, and would therefore attract attention
2) cheap at the time (relatively) with a low initial buy-in
3) an ideal platform for modification due to its factory coilover suspension

Since that time, prices on 964s have begun to skyrocket and I suspect you'll see fewer new 'stance'-type builds. The existing builds might trade hands a few times in the market, but I can see some of them returning to more of a stock configuration as that's where the money is. Regardless, the number of performance-focused 964s will always far outweigh the show cars.

As long as this forum doesn't morph into an iteration of Vortex, then we're good
I think you hit the nail on the head here. I came from the VW/Audi crowd, and still have an A4 that is (daily) driven quite low. But the 964 will never be slammed to the ground.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I think stance cars look cool with their low ride height and pushed to the limit fitment. It's like looking at a Chip Foose sketch or at a auto show concept car, except it's real life.

I don't think I could live with one, and I don't have the budget or networking connections to get ballin' wheels with super bespoke offsets and what not.

I'd love to see a autocross course shoot out between a stock 964, a perf-oriented 964, and a stance-oriented 964.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Majority of forum members belong to neither camp as they neither track their cars on a regular basis or get low down for the shows - at the moment I like my 964 the way it is (factory spec with wheel & mirror upgrade) and use it for fun weekend rides in spring and summer. Perhaps in future I might do a chip upgrade & lower it by 10-20 mm or embark on a backdate project but no plans yet.

I do however enjoy watching you guys do your thing and go the RS & cup route or get them really low - it adds more depth to 964.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:34 PM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about a vote option for: "Keep it standard", i.e. none of the above ?

Quick Reply: 964 | Go Cars Vs Show Cars