Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size brake pads do I need (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

My cheapy little caliper-that-could has no problem. It has a little step-up toward the back of the measuring surface, so the lip on the rotor does not interfere with the measurement.

Something like this.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Merle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
My cheapy little caliper-that-could has no problem. It has a little step-up toward the back of the measuring surface, so the lip on the rotor does not interfere with the measurement.

Something like this.
Sure you can use those if you want a half *** measurement. The surface area on those cheapy calipers is much bigger/longer than the tool I linked in my previous post and will measure the highest spot in the rotor. If there are any low spots in the rotor pad wear area you won't know it unless you use a micrometer. I have 20 years experience as an aircraft mechanic and I use calipers and micrometers almost every day in my job but the op can take whatever advice he wants. Thats why I recommended taking the rotors somewhere that tuns rotors as they will have the right tool to measure them and they will probably do it for free. Free is good.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM
ILC32
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
these are getting to the point that I start to worry a tad, you don't need a micrometer to see the wear and cracks. Holey rotors always wear like this
Bill --

Thanks for posting this picture. When I went out to the garage this morning, I realized that the pics I posted at the start of this thread are of my REAR caliper! My front calipers look like the one in Bill's picture. (I must have deleted the pic I took of the front caliper, and I did not have time this morning to pull the wheel to take a new front caliper pic.)

What is the appropriate pad size for my front caliper? I understand my rear calipers apparently take standard size 964 front/rear size pads -- should I be ordering front pads based on a particular model of 911 other than 964?

I'm sorry for the embarrassing confusion on my end . . . I took the pics some time ago, and just did not realize when I started this thread that the pics are both shots of my rear caliper!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I would just pop out one of the pads and take measurements. Easy enough. As to the rotors, if you don't feel like replacing them yet, if it's a streetcar, they are likely still ok for a while. If you have a big lip on the outside of the rotor, it's going to be a bit in the way when you change pads. That said, rotors don't cost much and are easy to replace. If you are going to drive hard, track the car, etc, may as well replace them soon. Just for peace of mind. Rotor failures are no fun.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

It is the lip on the outside edge that tells me to look for wear.
This is one area where measurements to +/-.001" are not needed so an inexpensive caliper is fine.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by ILC32
Bill --

Thanks for posting this picture. When I went out to the garage this morning, I realized that the pics I posted at the start of this thread are of my REAR caliper! My front calipers look like the one in Bill's picture. (I must have deleted the pic I took of the front caliper, and I did not have time this morning to pull the wheel to take a new front caliper pic.)

What is the appropriate pad size for my front caliper? I understand my rear calipers apparently take standard size 964 front/rear size pads -- should I be ordering front pads based on a particular model of 911 other than 964?

I'm sorry for the embarrassing confusion on my end . . . I took the pics some time ago, and just did not realize when I started this thread that the pics are both shots of my rear caliper!
The pic I posted was my rears the fronts are were way worse at the time.

A 964 RSA uses the same pads front and rear, which are also the same pads as used on 930 f/r from '78-89, these pads are ~132x48mm

Quick Reply: What size brake pads do I need (pics inside)