Sponsored by:

Stereo install: speakers, subwoofer, amp, sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM
964TT
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperUser
The Pioneer DEX-P99R is super nice, any pics of it installed? I bet it looks great
Only these pictures for now. The unit has an amber look that matches with the rest of the dash lights. You can also change the main screen to two retro looking level meters and I like that.
I made a USB socket in the glove compartment which takes any USB drive or phone and I attached a separate iPhone holder to it on the side of the center console.
You can see the unit in action here:

Although I didn't have the amber lighting and level meters set in this video. It just came back from a battery disconnect and remembers all the important sound settings (which took hours) but not the main unit option settings for some weird reason.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 964TT; 07-18-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you getting bass from?. Sounded great on the video.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm very happy with my Focal underseat sub. For the price and size, it can't be beat. The rest of my system includes, MB Quart separates in front and vintage Visonic plates in the deck.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

I will have to look that up....my installer looked under seat and said" no room under there"
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

LOVE that Pioneer head unit. What are they going for now street price?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

One underseat sub or 2?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:04 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

That model 7 looks great ,too 964tt. You are making want to get one of those too! So, the stock airbag can be replaced if you want ,too?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:12 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Maybe one of these behind the drivers seat???

JL CP108LG-W3v3
Old 07-19-2014, 02:29 AM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Hamah,

Rod recommended the Kenwood Excelon units to me first but the one currently in my car drives me nuts. I hate the interface, and the glossy screen is unreadable. Connected to an iPad I guess its the D/A converters and the pre-amp on the Apline that you are not happy with? i think the 149 model is just an improved screen over the 148.
It is partially the DAC (I think the Excelon uses Burr-Brown) but it is really the sonic floor that is completely lacking in the Alpine. It is simply impossible to get the full use of the subs out of this HU IMO. This really sucks because the Kenwood HU sounds just awesome but I just could not stand not being able to see the display. It was so bad I actually had the display turned off except for when you change source or song for a few seconds.

As soon as I find an HU like the Kenwood but with a useable display I'll replace the Alpine.

Hopefully your experience is different than mine but I'll be surprised if it is. Having said that the sound is very acceptable...just not outstanding like it was.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

I had a chance tonight to remove the passenger seat (right side) and do a component fit check. I hope my photos below will help others down the road to understand what fits and what doesn't. I think the JL Audio XD400/4 v2 amp is about as big as an underseat amp that you can fit. You will have to move the other control modules under the passenger seat outboard but everything will fit even after you connect the amp wiring. I am also installing ToreB T-lock to get remote locking and unlocking on the car.

On thing that surprised me is the factory amp is not held down just with a screw like the other modules but with a screw and nut combination. So you have to unscrew the large module screw plate underneath to slip your hand under and grab hold of the nut to fully unscrew the factory amp. There is a nut and washer under there.

I am going to hold all the modules and amp down with velcro when my install is complete. I didn't want to make new holes, drill & screw into the module hold down plate even though it would be easy to remove and do so. Velcro will allow me to service the module down the road with minimal effort but keeps things from shaking around when on the road.

Oh, does anybody know how to get across the center tunnel from the right passenger seat to the rear of the left drivers seat? (that is where my sub is going) I think I have to back up to the under the dashboard, over the tunnel and then out along the left side tunnel to the rear passenger area.
Attached Images     

Last edited by RicardoD; 07-19-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:57 AM
964TT
Pro

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
Where are you getting bass from?. Sounded great on the video.
The audio guys who got me this system told me to go with these woofers in the door and have the doors coated with Dynamat. I was not happy with that idea because of the weight and thought a separate sub would be better.
But they convinced me this would be a much better solution and I am very happy with the results.
The bass is everything I need for all types of music I play. But they said it has everything to do with the high quality woofer as well. Its some german made heavy monstrosity.
I have to find a spot for that silver tweeter as well, which I will have powder coated in black. Perhaps under the dash in the corners will help hiding them, on the doors was an in between solution.

Originally Posted by Streetdaddy
That model 7 looks great ,too 964tt. You are making want to get one of those too! So, the stock airbag can be replaced if you want ,too?
Yes, thats a great steering wheel. Mine is a 1990 without airbags...
Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

964TT,

I have the same plan to dynamat the doors and mount the door woofers to the door frames as others advise. You will see pictures when I get to that point. That Pioneer head unit looks fantastic. Love the dual *****.

I think the 550hp in your car can handle the extra 2 pounds in dynamat. My car is bone stock but keep hacking away, every time a car gets modded the future value of my car increases! Haha.
The following users liked this post:
Pardonmypov (02-01-2022)
Old 07-19-2014, 06:20 AM
964TT
Pro

Originally Posted by RicardoD
964TT,

I have the same plan to dynamat the doors and mount the door woofers to the door frames as others advise. You will see pictures when I get to that point. That Pioneer head unit looks fantastic. Love the dual *****.

I think the 550hp in your car can handle the extra 2 pounds in dynamat. My car is bone stock but keep hacking away, every time a car gets modded the future value of my car increases! Haha.
Hi Ricardo,
Haha, you are right. So I guess I better keep my car forever and make it exactly to my liking!
I only have this one bad photo of the door and the woofer I use.
Lets hope the lightweight battery and carbon parts offset the stereo weight, haha
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2014, 06:45 AM
964TT
Pro

Actually just looked up the woofer on the manufacturers website and to my surprise it says (in German) that you don't need a separate subwoofer if you use two of these!

They are slightly larger than the OEM speaker size though, 18cm.

http://www.exactaudio.de/html/high_end/komp_m182.php
Old 07-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

So you had to cut out metal to make them fit? Can i buy these in the US? Anybody know of a similar product that would fit OEM without mods? I was thinking of putting the JL box behind the drivers seat, but if these sound better ( or even the same) that would be better cosmetically/ functionally.

Last edited by Streetdaddy; 07-19-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Add more info

Quick Reply: Stereo install: speakers, subwoofer, amp, sound insulation