Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coasting in neutral - right or wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Ted 964 C2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coasting in neutral - right or wrong?

First, I respond well to instruction and advice (not so well to criticism ).

When approaching stops I have a tendency to take the car out of gear (with and without the clutch) and coast into the stop using only the brakes.

Yesterday, I did this after a brief period of 3/4 acceleration to about 60 mph. I pulled the stick back from 3rd but don't remember whether I used the clutch or not. Immediately, the engine began to race toward redline (without the slowing of a downshift). My instinct was to engage the clutch and when I did the car returned to idle speed. With my limited understanding of this car and its transmission I can't explain this to myself. The most obvious answer is that it was still in gear, but I swear there was no slowing of the car.

Questions: Is coasting in neutral at these speeds (as opposed to downshifting) right or wrong for any practical and/or safety reasons? Furthermore, is it bad for the car? I think I may have developed this habit thinking it was actually better for the transmission than downshifting. I look forward to your responses. Thanks. -Ted
Old 08-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Ted,
A reply is going to be directly related to how you ask the question and obviously the content of your question. This is a free service ask and thou shalt receive in the same manner given.
I cannot see any issues with coasting in neutral. I do it sometimes when stuck in heavy traffic to relieve pressure on the old clutch foot.
I do not recommend changing gear without using the clutch at any speed.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 08-08-2003, 01:59 PM
HunterWare
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you have the cruise control on?
Old 08-08-2003, 02:00 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, braking in neutral is the way to go. That cool, sounding downshift, aka engine braking, kicks the revs way up and adds stress to your drivetrain. That's not what the gearbox is for your--use the brakes to slow her down.

As for your little incident: Do you have a wing pedal by chance? If you don't "clear" the accelerator, you may inadvertently open the throttle while depressing the brake. The stock pedal heights should prevent such an occurence, but it's possible if you have big feet, wear boots or even broad sandals. That's my best guess.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:02 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cruise control.

Good guess, Hunter!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:13 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You can always match rpm's with a little blip of the accelerator, however, I agree it is more cost effective to replace brake pads than a clutch!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:16 PM
Ted 964 C2
AutoX

Lightbulb

I've got to believe that HunterWare nailed it. Thanks, I had in fact been using cruise control.

I'm glad to know that others agree about coasting to a stop.

To respond specifically to Adrian's advice about clutchless shifts... I only go from in-gear to neutral without engaging the clutch - never from neutral into gear. I imagine by how direct his advice is, though, that he's not a fan of this either. I'll try to break the habit as I'd hate to do anything damaging to this car I love so much! Thanks guys. -Ted
Old 08-08-2003, 03:17 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Your throttle might be sticking... happened to me recently.
As you 'release' the engine by shifting to neutral... Z-O-O-O-O-M!!!.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not shifting to neutral with the cruise control engaged is even a caution in the owner's manual. I think it a bit odd that Porsche chose to design the system so clutch pedal operation only temporarily disengages the system. Guess they were thinking it's more convenient that way (which it is, unless you're slowing to a stop in neutral, and haven't hit the brakes yet).

The other "benefit" of clutch pedal operation not disengaging the c.c. is the rush you get when you coast momentarily (and mindlessly) in gear, then let the clutch out, only to have the car surge forward powerfully on its own volition. Say, as you're heading toward a sharp turn in an off-ramp. It's an especially good wake-up for unsuspecting new P-car owners.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:59 AM
John Miles
Pro

My son was taught by his instructor last year to never downshift when coming to a halt. Apparently not necessary at all with modern cars as they do not need assistance of engine to brake. Their brakes are all super adequate. Plus driver can concentrate on road and surroundings without worrying about gear change.
Apparently this teaching is now standard in the UK.
J
Old 08-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Randall,
I have also always been puzzled by why the clutch switch was ever installed in the first place and when it was decided to use it it should be a cut off switch not a temp switch. Luckily I do not have cruise control so I do not have to worry about it.
I use engine braking. Always have. Never done any Porsche I have owned any damage either. The old 944 is up to 173,000 km with its original clutch. Here in the mountains you can wear out brakes really quickly. Funnily enough clutches seem to last much longer. My current clutch has lasted nearly 5 years of my ownership and engine braking.
I also change down gears when coming to places I know I will have to stop at. Must be one of the old school. I like to be ready to go. When I do not do this I often take off in the wrong gear. For newbies lacking concentration a selction after they stop can be reverse. I am sure we have all done this.
However in the end it is what works for you. I still try and drive with my hands on the steering wheel like I used to when racing. I do not move my hands around the wheel unless forced to. My daughter always tells me, daddy that was not how I was taught to drive. I say, drive how you are most comfortable.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 08-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about racing drivers? Do they just rely upon the brakes to slow them, or do they also utilise the additional "braking" provided by the engine too, thus allowing them to brake later into a corner?

In the end though, I suppose it comes down to whether you'd prefer to wear out your brakes or your gearbox!! Having said that, I've always used the gears to help slow me down & I've never had any problems with it. Somehow, I feel more in control of the car by doing it.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:11 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

So do I.

I go by the theory that by changing down during slowing, you are then in the appropriate gear for accelerating again.

Plus, as Andy says, you have more control because the lower gear means the car is so controllable just with the throttle - one of the joys of the 911!

I nearly always double declutch when changing down and heel and toe when expedient. Surely this is all part of the fun.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:48 PM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgive me if I didn't catch the answer, but is it damaging to the clutch or the drive-train to shift from gear to neutral without depressing the clutch?
Old 08-09-2003, 03:29 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If you do it cleanly and if it's at just the right moment, the drivetrain won't feel it, IMHO.

But there are two 'ifs' in that sentence!

Quick Reply: Coasting in neutral - right or wrong?