Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal - again. I'm still sick of it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 07:26 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake squeal - again. I'm still sick of it!

HEard now from a few sources that the non-asbestos pad material is culprit for brake squeal. Is everyone getting a little squeal when they come to a stop or am I unlucky?? I have tried OEM pads, now trying pagid (normal pagid, not smart **** racing ones!), put new discs on the front. These are Porsche OE discs. I have removed anti-squeal pads as they seemed to do nothing. I have tried filing the edges of the pads. I tried coppaslip on hte back and edges - all to little or no avail.

Caliper rebuild took place when I got car, so I know the stainless stell plates aren't lifting due to corrosion.

I am at end of tether!!

I am contmeplating pulling all calipers off & re-building. Is this worth tryying anyone??

Anyone used a caliper rebuild kit? Whats in them?

Heeeellllpppppppp....
Old 08-08-2003, 07:35 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get this too when the brakes are hot, it's very annoying. Same deal - rebuld brakes, new pads. I just live with it and turn up the sterio.

Ade.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:38 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, John.

I've never had any brake squeal, either on my original 'stock' set up, or since getting my 'RS' brakes.

I know for a fact that the BS (absolutely stock set up) also has never had any.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:52 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get any brake squeal. My mechanics know what they are doing (I don't).
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 AM
bj
Instructor

I get squeel only at low speed when I'm coming to a gradual stop. I've discovered lately that if I stop quickly by putting a lot of pressure on the brakes all at once rather than letting them drag with a little pressure to the stop that the squeel is eliminated. Just be careful that no one is following too close behind!

Hope this helps
Bill
Old 08-08-2003, 10:58 AM
johnfm
Drifting

My mechanics rebuilt the calipers when I bough tthe car, new pads with anti-squeal shims blahg blah . All original equipment.

Result: squeal.

I don't think there is any correlation between who puts the pads in & whether they squeal. I expect it is a lot to do with the components used, their actual dimensions, and a host of unknown factors.

THe facts is some of you are just lucky!!

B@stards!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Dave Cat
8th Gear

Hey guys, have never really had much to say about my 1990 964 C4 but I may be able to lend a hand this time.

Anyway, I had the same problem you have all outlined, “brake squeak” when hot or warmed up when slowing down to a slow stop. I have only had the car about 2 months. What I had done was to have the front discs machined until they were DEAD flat and them proceeded to place new original Porsche pads at the front. I said bye bye to my very annoying brake squeak.

The both front discs had nasty grooves and a lip at the end from pad wear. So no matter what type of compound pad I used they would still squeak because the pad would not be wearing flat due to the groove in the disc. So I suggest that before you go about dismantling the brakes, get a new pair of official pads and either have the discs machined or replace the discs!

Another thing to look out for is that at times there can be a bit of rust in the calliper which causes friction between the anti squeak plate and the pad. This would then require a calliper rebuild.

Let me know how you all get on.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Ade - C4 91
Racer

>I don't get any brake squeal. My mechanics know what they are doing (I don't).

I use the same mechanics as you Christer.

Ade
Old 08-08-2003, 12:06 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

John,

Its very unlikely but possible that you got some warped disks from porsche. I once bought a set of brand new disks from audi which were slightly warped. But they juddered a little, as well as squealing.

I had a caliper rebuild done in may with new opc disks and pads. They squeaked a little for the first 100 miles, since then they've been silent apart from after some seriously heavy braking (like ade).

Perhaps the mechanics did a poor job when they rebuilt the calipers? or perhaps you were super unlucky and were sold bent disks.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:10 PM
Ted 964 C2
AutoX

Everything in the brake department remains original on my car and I get the same squeal you've described.

My 2 cents: I think the variables relating to harmonics and high performing braking systems are so numerous that it's nearly a random distribution - whether you have squeal or not.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:37 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

JohnF,

I have the exact same squealing problem. In about a week or so, I will be putting on new front & rear Zimmermann cross-drilled rotors with Mintex Silver pads (OEM on rear). I've heard good results from P-Car owners with this setup. I'll let you know if this combo eliminates those annoying squeals.

Regards,
Old 08-11-2003, 02:57 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Getting heat into the brakes seems to work. I'll do a hard stop from, say 60mph or so, the squeal is then non-existent for some time.

YIPPEEEEEEEE!!
Old 08-11-2003, 03:51 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking of machining the discs, I had a very successful visit to ABP Motorsport in Cheshire last week, who used their ProCut brake lathe on my front discs (with the dicsc on the car). No more vibration; no more squealing. £63 all in. Took about 1 hour.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:56 PM
bj
Instructor

John

When disks are machined there are concentric rings left in the surface of the disk which contributes to squeal. If you get your mechanic to remove them by using a die grinder with a fine sandpaper disk to create nondirectional grooves this may also help.

Hope this helps
Bill
Old 08-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

You know, there might be a connection to the people who use a bit of engine braking dont get the squeal????

Dave
'90 C2

Quick Reply: Brake squeal - again. I'm still sick of it!