Sponsored by:

964 IB backdate

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 AM
London911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Sounds like you have a nice plan there! A few observations,[*] You may wish to go with a long neck G-Pipe as this keeps a similar flow to the original final silencer and also uses the original mounting points.[*] Brakes, may I suggest a colour match to your interior. Colour coding always ties in nicely.[*] Be aware that PSS10s have a tendency to suffer from corrosion. So applying anti rust coating would be a must. Alternatively KWV3s are highly rated here and have a stainless steel body that won't rust.[*] Techart fogs/ ducts. If you ever brake a lens, it's handy to know that the fogs are the same ones found on MK3 Golfs. A good saving on TechArt premium. The ducting will require some modification to bring the pipes through.[*] Original Cup1 as I'm sure you are aware are now around the £1K + mark. Because these wheels are made of magnesium they can be prone to crack, bubble paint and need very special attention when refurbishing. As a result a lot of owners store their mag originals and run replicas for daily use. Anyway enjoy the car and wishing you a smooth engine rebuild with few parts needing replacing.
Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated. Long neck G pipe it is, I'll make the request... I'll make sure to ask that the PSS10s get a coating. I love those dampers and have spent too long staring at damping charts to change, plus Bilstein dampers hold a special affection for me! I'll file away somewhere the MK3 golf piece too in case I need it.

Are the alloy OEM cups really 1k 'each'? I think I'm going to weigh the replicas I've got and see then. I've read some replicas great and some bad & heavy. I have the invoice for mine from ten years back when a prior owner bought them new for £800 (for all four). What weight should I be aiming for and/or how do I tell good versus bad replicas?

Thanks!!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 AM
London911
Instructor

Also the work will be completed by Tech9, who I think are just fabulous! Phil has such complete OCD on every detail (including everything hidden) so I'm convinced I'm in great hands and they'll do a stunning job as always. They are currently doing a full nut & bolt restoration of a '77 930 3.0 Turbo for me.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:16 AM
J81 JKR
Pro

Originally Posted by London911
Are the alloy OEM cups really 1k 'each'?

Thanks!!
Yes, they are but since im a nice guy I'll sell you mine for £3500....

Joking (hahaha) - you should be able to find a full set between £1-1.5k, although Ive seen some recently for a bit more. Now and again some crop up under the £1k mark but usually need an extensive refurb.

Good luck, great wheels!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:16 AM
London911
Instructor

Forgot to mention... I'm going to keep the great upgraded speakers and amp the previous owner nicely fitted but change the head unit for a 'Porsche Classic Radio and Navigation unit'. Anyone have any experience good/bad of that?
Attached Images   
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 AM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
Yes, they are but since im a nice guy I'll sell you mine for £3500.... Joking (hahaha) - you should be able to find a full set between £1-1.5k, although Ive seen some recently for a bit more. Now and again some crop up under the £1k mark but usually need an extensive refurb. Good luck, great wheels!
Thanks, that's great. I think for £1.5k or less I'll try and find some. They are only ever going to get more expensive not less!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Forgot to mention... I'm going to keep the great upgraded speakers and amp the previous owner nicely fitted but change the head unit for a 'Porsche Classic Radio and Navigation unit'. Anyone have any experience good/bad of that?
Yep, got one. I've had it in for nearly 3 years. The screen is very small and difficult to see from the driver's seat as are the touchscreen controls/instructions but....the rest is all good. The verbal instructions are execellent, the bluetooth phone module for answering calls is very good with no echo, the dvd/cd/radio reception all good, and streaming music from iPhone etc., excellent.

Also available as an optional add-on, a reversing camera.

All in all I'm very pleased with the unit and it's probably as good or better than most other units available.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 AM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Yep, got one. I've had it in for nearly 3 years. The screen is very small and difficult to see from the driver's seat as are the touchscreen controls/instructions but....the rest is all good. The verbal instructions are execellent, the bluetooth phone module for answering calls is very good with no echo, the dvd/cd/radio reception all good, and streaming music from iPhone etc., excellent. Also available as an optional add-on, a reversing camera. All in all I'm very pleased with the unit and it's probably as good or better than most other units available. Cheers, Paul
Thanks. That sounds great and just what I need.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:16 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, 964s are finally getting the respect they deserve... way too nice to backdate. Good choice in keeping stock. Please pm me when you are changing your mirrors. Swap you for my flag mirrors! :-D
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 PM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
Yes, they are but since im a nice guy I'll sell you mine for £3500.... Joking (hahaha) - you should be able to find a full set between £1-1.5k, although Ive seen some recently for a bit more. Now and again some crop up under the £1k mark but usually need an extensive refurb. Good luck, great wheels!
I bought a set of OEM RS Cups (so 7.5" & 9"), great condition and price (2k) included a quality refurb so look absolutely brand new. Happy now and project almost complete and should be ready for the Goodwood weekend. Turned into a full engine rebuild, car graphic exhaust with cup pipe, heater delete, chip, and 'engine dressing' to a singer like style. 8.9KG single mass flywheel and new clutch (lighter than standard but not quite RS light). Plus suspension rebuild with adjustable Bilstein B16s. Luggage area detail and RS carpet set. Interior detailed, new carpets, Porsche Classic stereo, and a lovely Zuffenhaus 'R' 370mm steering wheel with hockey puck horn push. Kept the cup mirrors but returned the indicators to amber, added Techart fogs/brakeducts and resprayed the front end.

Can't wait to get it back now.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:36 AM
Reuben981
7th Gear

Old thread, but you forgot to post pictures of your upgrade
Old 09-21-2019, 01:35 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Those e88 looks sweet but i don’t think they are period correct..

Quick Reply: 964 IB backdate