Sponsored by:

964 IB backdate

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by London911
I've recently bought a fabulous dark blue (non metallic) 964 C2 with black and burgundy interior. The burgundy is doors, seats & carpet and looks wonderful, far better than I would have ever imagined. Enthusiast owners previously and in good shape but does now need a top end rebuild, new clutch etc so it will be going into the shop shortly...
Gorgeous color combo, congratulations

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
I'm planning a 964 Cab to wide body Speedster, once I get my 964 where I want her, and that's not quite going to plan so the speedster project might some way of in the future, but I've already found a base to start from that will cost less than £10k and it's not that bad really.
Ooooo, I'll have to keep an eye on your threads. Turning my WB cab into a Speedster would be awesome but I am afraid that finding parts would be very difficult and quite costly.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:02 PM
London911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigunit_271078
How bad is the oil leak? Mine is a 90 car and leaks a bit but I just top up the oil every couple of mths. Leak down tests on engine showed it was in rude health and pulls like a train. So you may not need to have it rebuilt. A reseal is also an option at around 2-3k
There is a fair bit of oil around... and does need a new clutch anyway so some work to be done. One view was through-bolts and one was a full top end. I trust Tech9 and will probably send it there and see what Phil suggests. I love the interior and the way it drives and so will focus on getting the mechanical bits good. That said it can survive the summer I think and so plenty of months to drive, enjoy, and think...

Paul: love the car, and engine!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 PM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
London911, that's a great 964, love the colour combo, don't back date, it will a loss to the brotherhood that is 964 owners.

Make her better than she is now, and keep up the hunt for a poor car to do the back date on.

I'm planning a 964 Cab to wide body Speedster, once I get my 964 where I want her, and that's not quite going to plan so the speedster project might some way of in the future, but I've already found a base to start from that will cost less than £10k and it's not that bad really.
Poor car for a project does seems the right way to go! Speedster sounds great...
Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Originally Posted by azander
Backdating is a fad. Can't beat a true to form original. In my mind it's no different than a 959 body kit on a 964, even a F40 kit on a Fiero.

That's a great car you have there.
The market for the last decade-plus would disagree with you. There's a significant market for backdates, and has been for ages, and I don't think that you'd be calling it a body kit if you saw the level of craftmanship involved. I'd guess that a fairly large percentage of 964's have been modified anyway, it can all be undone, and they aren't an F40 or a 959 so getting too hung up on originality for a 964 is a bit OTT.

That being said, and responding to the OP, I agree that is a great car and I think you are making the right decision - I wouldn't chop up a nice 964 for a backdate. With your car, it is in beautiful shape and you can do a lot of nice upgrades underneath, and have a great car that is "retro enough" for a fraction of the cost of a backdate, which has increased greatly in the last few years. When mine was done, it was a tired car with panel damage (bodywork done by first owner, I did mechanicals), and a good 964 cost £10k, so it was a different world then.

good luck with everything and look forward to seeing what you end up doing, and seeing you and your car at one of the London meets!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 to the keep it stock comments, its a special looking car..

Stanced with fuchs and those '54 VW lenses, they look dead retro anyway!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm not usually one to give an opinion on what do do with another's car, but simply wanted to say:

The car looks gorgeous as is. It really does look good on that color combination and set up. It's all your money and time, but were it mine, I'd drive and enjoy!

Cheers all. PS- my brother is in London (Richmond) and is on the hunt for a nice 911. I'm encouraging him to go to a meet and see some of the amazing cars from London Rennlisters! I fear he may just head to Hexagon and go that route. Best/
Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tmistry
I fear he may just head to Hexagon and go that route. Best/
crikey he must have deep pockets. Not sure that is the smart option. Does he want an aircooled car or is he considering all options? 996/997 Turbo seem good value. 997 C2S Gen II. Boxster Spyder etc. If he wants a 964...well at the moment nice ones of those are hard to come by but if he isnt afraid of paying a bit of a premium the maritime 964 RS rep at £54k at JZM would be a nice car I think
Old 05-19-2014, 10:39 AM
London911
Instructor

Originally Posted by cuse92
good luck with everything and look forward to seeing what you end up doing, and seeing you and your car at one of the London meets!
It will stay 'stock', does feel too special and I love the 'custom' burgundy & black interior. I'll get the engine & clutch sorted, some nice trick suspension to play a little with, brakes refurbed and a new carpet set. With a little TLC and a few things replaced / repaired I think it will be simply stunning - and it's pretty great already cosmetically. I'll keep the cup wheels but add back the flag mirrors (just love them) and the amber front lights.

Really appreciate all the comments!

I do love the PS Autoart, PS Automobile, Singer etc cars so will do a backdate also - just from a different donor. Or perhaps I'll win the lottery and just get a Singer :-)
Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny, I had the same idea of backdating.
After 2 weeks of ownership I love my car so much that I might not backdate anymore...just get an older one :-)
Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

Midnight Blue is a great color for these cars. Looks black sometimes, looks purplish sometimes, navy blue at others. Mine also comes with a Linen Interior. Reckon how many Midnight Blue over Linen manual 92-94 C2 Coupes there are in the world?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by breljohn
Funny, I had the same idea of backdating.
After 2 weeks of ownership I love my car so much that I might not backdate anymore...just get an older one :-)
Best mod I made to mine was making it more "rumbly" with a cat delete and a cup pipe. That scratched my itch to back date. The exhaust mods even make firing it up in the morning an event.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 AM
London911
Instructor

Decided on the spec now:
- Top end rebuild
- '89 C4 single mass flywheel & clutch - lighter than the dual mass item but not quite as light as an RS one so a little better drivability (and I live in London)
- Mod to make the clutch lighter
- Engine cleaned, polished, coated, etc and 'dressed' to look similar to the Singer engines...
- Dansk exhaust with 'G pipe'
- Brakes refurbed and painted (black or red?)
- Blistein B16 PSS10 suspension (expensive but wonderful!) with everything refurbed
- Returning flag mirrors & amber front indicators (love them both)
Techart original foglight / brake ducts (a period option)
- Inside a clean, new carpets, and a 370mm black Arbarth steering wheel
- hopefully find an OEM set of Cup 1 to replace replicas

Everyone is right - you can do a lot and have great fun without a backdate. Can't wait to drive post all this! Engine should have 270 to 280bhp and rev nicely, ride height will be RS but suspension set for B road blasts, and interior will retain all patina but with my favourite steering wheel. Roll on summer...
Old 06-10-2014, 06:49 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by London911
Decided on the spec now:
- Top end rebuild
- '89 C4 single mass flywheel & clutch - lighter than the dual mass item but not quite as light as an RS one so a little better drivability (and I live in London)
- Mod to make the clutch lighter
- Engine cleaned, polished, coated, etc and 'dressed' to look similar to the Singer engines...
- Dansk exhaust with 'G pipe'
- Brakes refurbed and painted (black or red?)
- Blistein B16 PSS10 suspension (expensive but wonderful!) with everything refurbed
- Returning flag mirrors & amber front indicators (love them both)
Techart original foglight / brake ducts (a period option)
- Inside a clean, new carpets, and a 370mm black Arbarth steering wheel
- hopefully find an OEM set of Cup 1 to replace replicas

Everyone is right - you can do a lot and have great fun without a backdate. Can't wait to drive post all this! Engine should have 270 to 280bhp and rev nicely, ride height will be RS but suspension set for B road blasts, and interior will retain all patina but with my favourite steering wheel. Roll on summer...
Sounds like you have a nice plan there!

A few observations,
  • You may wish to go with a long neck G-Pipe as this keeps a similar flow to the original final silencer and also uses the original mounting points.
  • Brakes, may I suggest a colour match to your interior. Colour coding always ties in nicely.
  • Be aware that PSS10s have a tendency to suffer from corrosion. So applying anti rust coating would be a must. Alternatively KWV3s are highly rated here and have a stainless steel body that won't rust.
  • Techart fogs/ ducts. If you ever brake a lens, it's handy to know that the fogs are the same ones found on MK3 Golfs. A good saving on TechArt premium. The ducting will require some modification to bring the pipes through.
  • Original Cup1 as I'm sure you are aware are now around the £1K + mark. Because these wheels are made of magnesium they can be prone to crack, bubble paint and need very special attention when refurbishing. As a result a lot of owners store their mag originals and run replicas for daily use.

Anyway enjoy the car and wishing you a smooth engine rebuild with few parts needing replacing.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 AM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Frank,

Are you getting your cup wheels mixed up ? Cups fitted to the RS are magnesium and bonkers money standard ones are alloy and also getting very pricey as you say 1k upwards
Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GazC2
Frank, Are you getting your cup wheels mixed up ? Cups fitted to the RS are magnesium and bonkers money standard ones are alloy and also getting very pricey as you say 1k upwards
Ahhhh yes you got me there. My mistake.

Quick Reply: 964 IB backdate