Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWB modified cars, what's your opinion?

Old 05-02-2014, 12:33 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
I always get asked if I would RWB my 964 by local car enthusiasts, and like a few others in here have mentioned, I also agree that I couldn't chop up a clean 964. Perhaps if I had a spare 964 shell, then maybe. That is also a big maybe, considering the price for the kit is around 18k before wheels.

However, I do like the smooth body ones, notably the white one jpar posted that is stationed in Thailand. And 85% of the RWB's in Japan all see track time, so its not all show and no go.

If you RWB you car, I will follow
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have stared at your signature for 10 minutes, very cool. You need to add 2013 and 2014
Old 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
It is a lot of work sorting, compiling and sourcing. The time involved with gutting the car and removing the glue, sunroof etc is enormous amount of work.
How about cryogenic cleaning or ice blasting for cleaning up the interior shell, it will get the glue off and give you a very nice clean area and doesn't take too long to do. much better than getting on your hands and knees breathing in harmful fumes while you try and get the glue off.

here is a link showing what it can do.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:26 PM
marz7490
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
How could you not want this
/thread

Definitely on my list of to do's. I need to stop looking at pictures before I make a bad decision.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
How about cryogenic cleaning or ice blasting for cleaning up the interior shell, it will get the glue off and give you a very nice clean area and doesn't take too long to do. much better than getting on your hands and knees breathing in harmful fumes while you try and get the glue off.
Definitely does the job but makes a heck of a mess. I have thirty years experience with grit blasting parts with black beauty coal slag same effect although more mess. Don't want to do this in my garage with the other cars sitting around covered or not. Xylene does the trick with proper protection and ventilation. Time is the issue you have to wait for it to break the adhesive bond. Although if I can find someone local to ice blast it economically I agree it makes sense. Looking for a clean chassis to build on.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,478 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by dboeren
Most of the RWB are just ugly cars and a travesty.
same can be said about
ruf
gemballa
dp
oem 993gt2

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

and it's not all show no go. they drive these things harder than most ruf owners or 993gt2 collector.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:05 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
same can be said about
ruf
gemballa
dp
oem 993gt2

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

and it's not all show no go. they drive these things harder than most ruf owners or 993gt2 collector.
Mooty, I never thought you and I would agree on something, but hey, we do.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:14 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
Definitely does the job but makes a heck of a mess. I have thirty years experience with grit blasting parts with black beauty coal slag same effect although more mess. Don't want to do this in my garage with the other cars sitting around covered or not. Xylene does the trick with proper protection and ventilation. Time is the issue you have to wait for it to break the adhesive bond. Although if I can find someone local to ice blast it economically I agree it makes sense. Looking for a clean chassis to build on.
I've been thinking about buying an ice blaster and offering this service and have done a bit of research.
Apparently the only mess is the debris of what has been cleaned away. The ice evaporates, so no water puddles the clear up, just Hoover the debris and you have a perfectly clean surface the work with. Far better than high pressure cleaning.
From what I understand, it's not and alternative the soda or sand blasting if you need a very aggressive blast, but can be used to remove rust too.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:16 AM
BeachBoy
Racer

De have a dry ice blaster at work.

Awesome machine uses tout clean electrical panels or parts with lots of gunk/grime without damaging any electrical.

It needs a big compressor and the substrate is not that easy to get. Plus its quite big, fits in a small trailer

I've seen cleaning companies (after fire/disaster) use these to clean up houses.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by STUARTQ
I've been thinking about buying an ice blaster and offering this service and have done a bit of research.
Apparently the only mess is the debris of what has been cleaned away. The ice evaporates, so no water puddles the clear up, just Hoover the debris and you have a perfectly clean surface the work with. Far better than high pressure cleaning.
From what I understand, it's not and alternative the soda or sand blasting if you need a very aggressive blast, but can be used to remove rust too.
We are getting off topic, but I agree eliminate the residue created by coal slag blasting with similar results is the smart way to go. There is a lot of crud that needs to be removed not worth trashing the garage for. I don't mind the oil and mess that is localized.

I found a shop locally that can do it and it is not that expensive, problem is getting the tub there once everything is removed.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:07 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Back on topic.
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2014, 02:45 PM
bdc1
Instructor

Old 05-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Some RWB Hoonigan video action.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 PM
964 PV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
How could you not want this
This is my baby

One RWB owner present.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by bdc1
The original RWB, Nakai-san's own car.

This will give you some insight into his mind:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RWB modified cars, what's your opinion?