Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts

Couldn't see the price on my phone. Looks like a bargain unless there are major issues.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I saw that car when it popped up on Pelican. Although I was a little surprised by the price, my first thought was the history on the car. From my experience, getting the background on a car from Japan is a little harder than looking at a Carfax. PORS9 did a story recently on a 993 GT2 street car that was up for auction. They was a lot of confusion on its history. There was talk about the car being wrecked and restored. If you can get the history on the car, maybe it is worth the money, otherwise, be very careful.
I agree but the car should speak for itself and warrants a thorough going over to be sure. Deceptive practices and poor condition cars are becoming the norm.

Originally Posted by Bossing
Exactly. I was also shocked..... Euro-spec, Sport seats, Amethyst, supposedly 54k miles, Cup wheels, looks relatively clean in & out, no discernable leaks, runs and idles fine, no smoke, solid car..... someone got a steal even if this was double the miles. It's not perfect but the price was. Ugh I wish I bought it lol.
No doubt the engine and tranny alone are worth what the car sold for by itself. Although being a 90 I suspect it will need a top end soon. I wish I had seen that. I would have converted and built this into something. I wouldn't trust much about it though ROW car no records and a US spec speedo claiming actual miles??? I am sure there is more to it. Aero mirrors as well Cabs are the bargain 964 right now and there have been many nice ones sell for not much.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:41 PM
stutt911
Banned

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.

what did it go for?
$24,000
Old 01-15-2019, 04:21 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default water?

Originally Posted by jeff33702
^^ wait, is that actual water on the gauge panel?
sho 'nuff
Old 01-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Seems like a solid example. Interested to see where it ends up.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-14/
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT

Based on the comments so far my money is on reserve not met.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:52 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
Based on the comments so far my money is on reserve not met.
I'm guessing around a $58k - $60k sale.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:49 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT

Can't figure out why that back bumper would be sagging so much. I sent it over to my body shop expert at ECR here in Atlanta and his guess was that it was a cheaper, aftermarket bumper. Said it looked "thin". Any idea what else could cause that? I assume the mounting points would all be good.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:53 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Can't figure out why that back bumper would be sagging so much. I sent it over to my body shop expert at ECR here in Atlanta and his guess was that it was a cheaper, aftermarket bumper. Said it looked "thin". Any idea what else could cause that? I assume the mounting points would all be good.

You're the seller?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:56 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon
You're the seller?
No, I'm sorry... I sent the photos over to him to get his opinion on if it was fixable or not. He said probably not with that same bumper.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:59 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Roger Dodger.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:32 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Just realized BAT gets 5% of the sale from the buyer on these... that's a little steep IMO =/
Old 01-16-2019, 10:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Our friend selling the car has had two in the same color on BaT. I don't see the fuss about this car compared to the junk that has recently sold there. The car was clearly a driver that someone picked up cheap and reworked to like new condition. The rear bumper sections have a tendency to sag over time from heat. This is quite common. My 83k mile C4 had a serious sag but no rear end damage. The issue is when the sag is constant across the back vs this which is sagging over the plate area.

The windows out paintwork on that car appears to be quite well done. Something most should be happy with. After all this is a 70k mile driver not a 10k mile collector car. I am more interested in what was done to the engine. Clearly it was disassembled reusing the original parts but how it was done will determine how long the reseal will last. The fact is the early engines do leak eventually the later engines along with the 993 have far less history of oil leaks other than things like oil lines and other none engine related parts of the oiling system.

If the other 90's brought $50k this car should see a min of $65k more like $70k compared to those it would be a bargain.

Unless something has changed the 5% is capped at $5k. A heck of a lot better than the auction houses 10%.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Our friend selling the car has had two in the same color on BaT. I don't see the fuss about this car compared to the junk that has recently sold there. The car was clearly a driver that someone picked up cheap and reworked to like new condition. The rear bumper sections have a tendency to sag over time from heat. This is quite common. My 83k mile C4 had a serious sag but no rear end damage. The issue is when the sag is constant across the back vs this which is sagging over the plate area.

The windows out paintwork on that car appears to be quite well done. Something most should be happy with. After all this is a 70k mile driver not a 10k mile collector car. I am more interested in what was done to the engine. Clearly it was disassembled reusing the original parts but how it was done will determine how long the reseal will last. The fact is the early engines do leak eventually the later engines along with the 993 have far less history of oil leaks other than things like oil lines and other none engine related parts of the oiling system.

If the other 90's brought $50k this car should see a min of $65k more like $70k compared to those it would be a bargain.

Unless something has changed the 5% is capped at $5k. A heck of a lot better than the auction houses 10%.
That's helpful, thanks. Are you '965' on BaT? Similar, informative comment just made on the thread...
It does seem like the sag covers the entire rear besides the side fender areas, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for to compare it against.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:43 AM
phil_m
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt

Give us your normal laundry list of issues!! I notice a bit to be done on this car (in part due to learning from your prior posts that are well informed and meticulous).

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale