AIRBAGS - 1993 RS America

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Flagg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIRBAGS - 1993 RS America

Hi,

I can't wait until my sons can ride with me in my Porsche. There are no back seats in the RS America and I am worried about the airbags. My sons are 7 and 5 - I think the state says they have to be 12 to ride up front.

I have read the threads about disabling the airbags, or putting in a switch. I can't find an actual Porsche dealership or shop that will touch the airbag system. Every time I think about more seriously pursuing it, I get cold feet.

But a Question:
1) Does the 1993 RSA / C2 have any kind of weight sensor in the passenger seat like new cars. Like they will not go off, unless a specific weight is in the passenger seat?

2) I do not think so………..but I thought I would ask.

Thanks,

FLAGG
Old 02-18-2014, 12:34 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so if they ride at the same time do the ages combine to make 12??

there is an airbag disable adapter available from porsche. called a "bridge adapter." you've probably seen this in your searching. It is an easy part to remove/install, so you could just put it in when they're with you, and take it out when they aren't.

As for your actual question, i have no idea. I know I'm very helpful, lol.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer is no.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Both airbags go off in the older cars. You can disable them with a jumper. There is a relay behind the center console IIRC.

I'd wait on putting kids of that age up front. It's the safer thing to do.

FWIW I sold my RSA after my son was born. I knew I'd never be able to take him for a drive in the car so it had to go. The fact that the car had no rear seats means no seat belts and no way to attach a car seat safely.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Flagg
Racer

HA! Both ages do add up to 12! So THAT means I was OK when I took them, together, for a ride up and down my street. I am thinking of having Mom take them in a separate car to an empty parking lot on a Sunday, and then strapping a booster in and giving them both a ride. But that takes time……..and coordination, and has not happened yet. They love the car……but can not ride in it.

Ilko - I did have a friend with an RS America that removed his rear shelf and figured out a way to bolt in belts or something into the rear tub that was left. Then he put it all back as the kids aged. I did not want to go there…….and I actually have the CD PLAYER cleverly bolted to the underside of the rear shelf in one of the cubbies.

I sometimes wish that it was a C2 with rear seats for the kids……….but I am the Original owner of this RS………and just don't want to ever sell. It is a special car…………

FLAGG
Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Flagg
Racer

OK……….so this Bridge Connector. I have read all about this on various threads.

So if you go into this compartment - you just plug it in? You have nothing to unplug? Various threads seem to say different things about that - and some describe black wires, and some orange. My issues:

1) This just not feel like the safest thing - then I, as the driver, have no airbag (but neither does the thought of old airbags going off sound safe either)

2) How would I know the magic bridge piece really worked? My kids are far more important than the car.

3) I am not that skilled with electricity - and feel like I would have no idea what I am looking at when I see all those wires - unless it is really the only empty spot that looks like this part fits.

4) Got this silly fear that if I start fooling around with the airbag system, that it might randomly go off. I know this is silly. Maybe I need to go to counseling for that

FLAGG
Old 02-18-2014, 04:46 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Now that I think about it, it was wires. Man, it was maybe 7-8 years ago when I did this... I put the Momo Mod 07 wheel and that's when I disconnected the airbags.

1) Is it safer to have a 21 year old airbag explode in your face? Not convinced of that either...
2) Disconnect the airbag from the steering wheel, if the idiot light doesn't remain on when you start the car you're golden.
3) There were a few threads on this forum with explanations, but again, it's been a long time.
4) Before doing the install you'll have to disconnect the battery. And yes, it is a bit nerve-racking but there are a lot of built-in check points in the system so that it doesn't do exactly as you describe. But it can't hurt to start the car while you're not sitting in it just as an extra precaution
Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 02-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a former paramedic/firefighter. I worked in the field in the 80's and 90's and saw the transition from massive injury and many more fatalities pre-airbags to the post airbag world where an accident can be survivable. I struggle with owning cars without airbags these days myself and I wouldn't even consider putting my kid in the front seat of an older car without one. The bottom line is that if you're involved in a high speed, front end collision there is a high likelihood of trauma to your child from submarining under the belt, Head VS windshield, dash or side window. I'm not trying to scare you. Just giving you the hard truth.

I know many of us grew up before seatbelts, airbags, collision avoidance, side impact protection and survived. But many didn't. IMHO Kids should be in the back seat, in a modern car with side curtain airbags. I've seen too many dead kids to think otherwise.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 PM
CBR786
Pro

As far as I know if the airbag light is on in the instrument cluster of any car and does not go out. Then the airbags will never deploy in an accident event as it's a safety thing . For airbags to work the light needs to come on then go off if it remains on then the circuit goes into safe mode . The airbags will not deploy hence you can introduce a airbag light & leave it & not get it cleared hence issue resolved
Old 02-18-2014, 10:18 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

I was looking for an excuse to go out to my cold garage to visit my car anyway, so I took a few pics of the "bridge plug" for you. You don't need any electrical knowledge, all you have to do is unscrew two screws and undo one 8mm bolt. The part number is 928 612 220 00 and it's about $40 list at the dealer.

First remove the two philips screws on the small access panel on the passenger side of the center console, the undo the 8mm bolt

Next unplug the connetor

lastly plug the bridge in and snap the plug back onto the bracket and re-install.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Flagg
Racer

WOW - Great responses!

Vandit - That is the goal!

Jpar - Thank you for the super detailed pictures and instructions. I can not believe you went out in your cold garage tonight and took these pictures for me! Looks like I don't have to be an electrician. Question - does the "bridge plug" go between the two pieces you unplugged (with each piece plugging into it)? OR does the one plug just hang loose when you put it all back (kind of like your picture)?

** So the 'bridge' makes the car 'think' the airbags are set to go - so you get no warning lights on the dash - BUT the airbags have really been disabled?

Jordan - nice car! Yes - your comment is blunt and to the point. And it is one of the reasons I am not really sure I want to do this adventure. And I keep thinking that it would at least let the kids ride with me (as I would strap a 5 point booster in the front seat). I could limit where I go with them. But sadly an accident could really happen anywhere. So I am back to if I want to do it at all………

Thanks for all the really, REALLY helpful responses.

FLAGG
Old 02-19-2014, 01:09 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I worked in the industry from '99-'12 and watched high-speed video of hundreds of airbag deployments. My opinion: you're overthinking this. A kid in the front seat with the seat all the way back will be well-served by the passenger bag- they're huge, soft, cushy, and with the child well back I do not believe he'd be endangered by the velocity of the bag deployment as the bulk of the pressure pulse will have disbursed by then.

Additionally, a variety of sources encouraged me not to worry about the bags 'going bad' because of their age- engineers at the bag manufacturers stated that the cautions issued by the car companies were CYA exercises designed to limit corporate liability.

$0.02
fc
Old 02-19-2014, 06:26 AM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Question - does the "bridge plug" go between the two pieces you unplugged (with each piece plugging into it)? OR does the one plug just hang loose when you put it all back (kind of like your picture)?

Yeah that second picture is actually the finished product, it only plugs into one side.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Flagg
...There are no back seats in the RS America and I am worried about the airbags. My sons are 7 and 5 - I think the state says they have to be 12 to ride up front...
Of course each state is different, but there may be an age exemption if the vehicle doesn't have a back seat (ie: pickup truck, or two seat sports car).

I've researched this in NC (and VA - as my favorite race track is just across the border). The state requires that a child be 8 yrs. or 80 lbs., unless there is no back seat or all seats are already taken... I've had three young kids in my car many times.

My son is 10 now (and grew up with the car), and I feel fine with him sitting up front as long as his seat is pushed all the way back... he sits much further back than me. I hope the airbag can offer him some protection in case the worst happens.

Good luck with your decision, you always want the best for your kids.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 02-19-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling as usual...

Quick Reply: AIRBAGS - 1993 RS America