Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:05 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's getting harder to find someone who specializes in fixing these older car decks. It's cheaper to just replace with new and improved technology. Depending on where you are located, you might still find someone who specializes in refurbishing them.

I found this site you could try http://www.bcelectron.com/repair_bra...o_repairs.html
Old 03-20-2014, 10:20 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks ... left them a message. Will update
Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcx
Sounds great! Did you take any pics?
I didn't take any pics during the install, but below are some of it all set up. The bracing for the active sub is a bit MacGyver, but it holds it firmly and can be removed by undoing 2 screws in case I want to use that seat.

The rear 6x4's are some Pyramid 468GS 3-ways I picked up off of Amazon. I've never heard of them before, but they sound OK and are essentially just fill speakers anyway.
Pyramid 468GS 4 x 6 inch 160W Three-Way Speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments Pyramid 468GS 4 x 6 inch 160W Three-Way Speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

To re-use the rear factory grills I lightly superglued some sticky draft excluder tape (like you have around windows etc) to the grills and then stuck that to the edges of the speakers.

For the fronts, I just had to modify the factory speaker fitting ring (if that's what it's called, but it's the plstic ring that the covers clip onto) to allow the Pioneer's to fit correctly in order for me to be able to clip the factory covers back on.

I'm very happy with the improvement and that the sub make a huge difference if you don't need the rear seat very often.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Andy Roe; 03-20-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Jcx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx andy. Looks good!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:47 AM
gsteen1117
6th Gear

Lightbulb

I was still totally stuck with a plan for the connection to the DIN HU harness. So I did what all good men do, I went to the pub and got chatting to my old mate Bill who loves all things automotive. I explained my issue and shared a photo of my DIN plug and as casually as you like he said, “Put spade connectors on the ISO harness and push them into the DIN plug.” Naturally I bought him a ½ (did I mention the Yorkshire heritage) and scuttled off home in search of an internet connection for more spending.

Problem is with this DIN plug, the smaller spade connectors are REALLY small. And no amount of ‘small spade connector’ searches on the google and the ebaygum returned any hits. Halfords had none. My other mate Rich who builds cars just for fun had none. Finally I found some here:

I bought an ISO block connector with bare ends and connected my large and small spades and bullet connectors per the photo below.

Sadly I didn’t take a pic of these bits plugged in. I guess I was just too excited. 

OR just what about this nice adapter ...???

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Universa...item4ac1e2ccf9

Last edited by gsteen1117; 12-15-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: to much pic's
Old 03-25-2015, 01:09 AM
BERTH
1st Gear

I took and old original HU (not good),open it, remove the two connectors ,plug them on car original ones and match the wires with my new HU! No mods no mess no wires! ;-)

Quick Reply: Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?