Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 07:55 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems about right. Those words are very thin also. I don't think they were intended to be used as speaker wires on there own. I may just run new wires from Hu to where amp is under seat and join the speaker wires there and be done with it. Where do others connect the white wire that is the antenna amp wire that is wrapped round antenna wire?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:07 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
I guess I need to yank the pass seat out and undo the speaker wires from the amp and run them directly to the radio. Is that what others have done with no amp? I figured amp is not necessary without a sub woofer etc.
You will get a lot better sound out of your system with an amp in place. I bought an Alpine MRV-f300 amp because my factory one was missing. Used the pre amp outs on the back of the Blaupunkt and ran 2 double RCA cables plus a switched power wire to the amp, I also ran a 8 AWG fused wire from the battery to the amp, you can see them in one of my earlier posts.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Somebody wrote that the factory amp was useless. it is a 2x20w or something. They said the radio had more output. Would an amp make a difference with just 4 speakers that are not huge and with no sub? I guess I will just get it working and if it really sucks, then I can get a amp. It is half apart now so may as well finish it and add amp later.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

That's pretty much what I did, put the radio in last winter, and then finally now getting rid of those ugly Boston speakers. I didn't know there was no amp in mine, so thought I might as well go all the way.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:26 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

I installed The Toronto 420 tonight. Looks pretty good. I don't think it changes color. Doesn't really bother me at all. looks rich compared to the million color junk out there. Sound ten times better then the original radio. Removed the seat and took out stock amp. Spliced in speaker wires from amp, ran new wires back under the carpet to the HU. Got the idea from looking how my parts car was set up by a radio shop yrs ago from old owner. I also Installed Bluetooth mic over near visor on the left only a foot from my fat head.. Ran the wire down windshield pillar and under dash. It is invisible. I am so glad I did this. Takes this car into modern times. Took me a few hrs to get it all perfect. No need for amp for normal listening. I bought new speakers also. Nothing fancy. I am not a audiophile. I prob have only 100 songs in my iPhone. I listen to a lot of sports radio (Hey, its Boston) I was most looking forward to Bluetooth hands free. Never had that before and a must if shifting etc…Notice the clock says 2:00 am. Just finished.
Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Other than the blue color I think it looks just fine.
Dials are a must on a radio
Old 02-17-2014, 03:39 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

The blue is ok. What are you going to do. I agree you def need *****. On radio's and in life..Love *****.
Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Originally Posted by greg1990964
The blue is ok. What are you going to do. I agree you def need *****. On radio's and in life..Love *****.
Love the carpet too
Old 02-17-2014, 04:13 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Haha.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Jcx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any of you tell me what i have here please? This is the plug on my OEM harness that connects into the back of my OEM Blaupunkt Toronto SQR 46.

If I look at the HU it has a sticker on the top to describe the various bits...

Problem is the sticker shows 5-pins and the back of the HU only has 5-pins but the white socket above has 6-pins. I guess the BIG Black wire is doing nothing.

On the left... 1). Brown = Earth 2). (Thicker) Red/Black = Switched Live 3). White jumper to four 4 = Illumination. 4). White = Aerial 5). Red = Permanent Live 6). Black = No idea!!!

HELP required here pls.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:34 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fluxdon
Other than the blue color I think it looks just fine.
Dials are a must on a radio
It looks different in the pictures, lot less colour when you see it in the car.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

That black wire I ended up not using. Not sure. there was no need to hook it up as after I connected all labeled wires on the new radio. Everything works so the hell with it. I did hook up the wire that comes off of the antenna wire piggy backed into the ignition wire so it powers the antenna amp when keyed on. The rest was pretty self explanatory. Good luck!

Oh, just noticed that dbl white wire in your old connector, I don't have that . It was empty, or the slot next to it. Just use that wiring diagram to know which ones go to the new radio, and maybe like me you just unhook amp under the seat and look what speaker wire is what labeled on amp and run those back under carpet into the dash. The original Blaupunkt amp said it was 4x20 and the new radio is double that. So bye bye ****ty amp. Cant connect to HU with that round DIN connector anyways. I see no reason for any amp unless you are going crazy or subwoofer. I am not a radio expert, just what worked for me. My radio is plenty loud. I got these speakers:

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6432cf 4 x 6-Inch, 120-Watt High Performance Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6432cf 4 x 6-Inch, 120-Watt High Performance Two-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Electronics

They fit good, I used some double sided tape to adhere the factory covers to the speakers. I reused some Infinity speakers that were in my donor car for the fronts that are fairly old but in good shape and I did not see anything for sale that was better really. And used original tweeters and the crossovers still in the door.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:17 PM
RAASpeedster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Toronto 420 locks good installed. Would you mind posting a picture of the location of the microphone. I am curious to see how it fits into the car. Did you buy the Blaupunkt microphone?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:44 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Amazon Amazon

Just tested the mic, my friend said I sound better then normal, and I am always using my speaker on iphone5. You can barely see the mic at top of pillar. I used 3m clear dbl sided tape, a piece about the size of a pinky nail. I tucked the wire between windshield gasket then around those two removable panels by the vent, and under dash and around ashtray and up into radio. The Blaupunkt radio has a plug for external mic. You can't see any wire in the pics, and would never see mic unless you craned your neck to look. It is prob not even a foot from my face. Pics are dark where the wire runs, but can't see it anyways, but you get the idea.
Attached Images    
Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

I may be wrong on this, but it's my understanding that the Toronto 420 BT has a build in microphone. If you look at the picture in the owners manual, #9 says microphone IIRC, it also have a hook up for remote mic coming out the back. What would be the advantage to install the remote mic ???

Quick Reply: Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?