Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?

I am feeling guilty taking out the original radio and having to cut the wires to make it work with new Blaupunkt Toronto. Anybody else feel that way? I am going to do it as the old radio sounds like crap even with new speakers, and I need bluetooth etc, but still feel bad.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

What do you have for the original radio? As the 964's are getting older and becoming classics there is an increased demand and cost for original radios. For example it's very rare to see a Porsche CD-1, CD-2 or CD-10 for sale.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Old original Blaupunkt Stuttgart.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

just keep your stock radio in a box. Just incase a concours is in order

My C4S has aftermarket radio and I am switching it back to stock radio with ipod cable.
I really enjoy the look of a stock radio nowadays for whatever reason...
Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
just keep your stock radio in a box. Just incase a concours is in order

My C4S has aftermarket radio and I am switching it back to stock radio with ipod cable.
I really enjoy the look of a stock radio nowadays for whatever reason...
I've got the stock CD-2 that's going back in mine in the spring.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:29 AM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I absolutely hate the look of aftermarket headunits in these cars.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:36 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it still works just keep it in a box in case you need it at some point and offer it with the car if you should ever choose to sell it.

I binned my Stuttgart about 9 years ago as it didn't work anymore. I really can't see how much of an impact a newer radio would have on the value of these cars. As long as it's not something too "Ricer" it wouldn't bother me one bit.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:48 AM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BHCfarkas
I absolutely hate the look of aftermarket headunits in these cars.
I like the classic look as well, except for this one:

Really expensive but the looks are cool.
I first saw it in a 964 Convertible last year.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...on-system.html
Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same dilemma (other 911, same train of thought), and I solved it by fitting a... Blaupunkt Franfurt.

But the current version. It is a Blaupunkt, has restrained looks, takes CDs and SD cards, and is so much better in sound quality.

And let's not kid ourselves, it is almost impossible to have great sound in a 964 without extensive measures, the limiting factor being the car itself, not the radio.

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:39 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Blaupunkt Nashville DJ in a box - anyone know if this was standard on a 964?

I have a bling stereo installed, but am planning to change to one of these VDO units. Looks old school, only £65 for the one without CD, and has orange light crucially.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my Blaupunkt Toronto.
No regrets whatsoever.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:21 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

I am installing the Toronto today that has the two *****. Hate to cut original radio plugs out, but can't seem to find a adapter. Should look good. Prob best option around.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2014, 04:11 AM
Jcx
Instructor

I have been pondering the same and doing lots of research before settling on the head unit/radio. that is the easy bit to pick.

I have a general thread on 911UK.com where I share my findings; some of which came from this site, some from the Google.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=937001#937001

I think at this point my preferred radio is by VDO (as wagonface said) because it looks less bling than many and has all the features i need. well almost all...

I also think now i will NOT use my round DIN adaptor and will just run new speaker cables to the amp. I've bought sockets so the existing DIN speaker plugs just plug in to them. Then all I need is to find/make an adaptor to use the existing harness without cutting wires.

Again I will post all when done. :-)
Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

I didn't get to radio install the other day. About to do it. Looks like I have no choice but to snip wires. Oh well..
Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 AM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by greg1990964
I am feeling guilty taking out the original radio and having to cut the wires to make it work with new Blaupunkt Toronto. Anybody else feel that way? I am going to do it as the old radio sounds like crap even with new speakers, and I need bluetooth etc, but still feel bad.
I don't know why you should feel bad. The wire harness is hidden and is easily and reliably spliced with no effect on the car (other than better sound). Our cars are never going to be concours cars. Even if you chose to make it concours in the future the judges would never see the splice. Besides a real concours car owner would not even be having this discussion.

In my case I've installed a pretty high end sound system (hey, it matters to me) that involved a lot of mods that I've kept as subtle as possible. I still want the car to look as stock as possible but it is more important to me to have good quality sound at high enough SPL that I can enjoy it at highway speed with the top down.

I'd rather put the radio delete panel in than that original CD-2 piece-o'-crap (although I do have my CD-2 stashed). I also have the panel on hand for the day I go for my collector plate (must have stock radio or radio delete plate in place...at least in the pictures you send in ).

If I could find a radio that was period correct looking but met my requirements I'd be all over it (Must have min 4v pre amp outputs, bluetooth phone and audio profiles for streaming music. Nice to have would be USB for charging and SiriusXM option). So far all of the units I've seen (including all of the ones in this thread) do not look close enough to stock for me to put up with the lack of functionality so I'll stay with a current higher end HU with as subtle a look as possible that does meet my needs. HUs are cheap enough that if anyone ever does come out with the perfect one for me I'll just toss out the one in my dash and replace it (I'm on my 4th in 4 years now anyway).

And to those that say "no radio is required because of the symphony of sound from that flat 6... blah blah blah", I get it. I really do, but I'm also an audiophile and when I want to listen to the engine I just shut off the car stereo.

Quick Reply: Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?