Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:26 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the amp was an option, best way is to check under the passenger (right) side seat. These cars are getting old and most have had several owners, that could have changed the sound system, thats what mine is like. I am in the process of changing it back with stock looking items of more modern performance.
Will post some pictures when I get done.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:40 PM
964Carrera4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
I think the amp was an option, best way is to check under the passenger (right) side seat. These cars are getting old and most have had several owners, that could have changed the sound system, thats what mine is like. I am in the process of changing it back with stock looking items of more modern performance.
Thanks. I will check under the seat. My car is completely stock, it's never been modified. I bought it from the second owner last Oct. Only 36K miles on it.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:07 PM
hamah
Pro

Where possible I've also done this. I didn't worry about behind the dash, under the carpet or under the seat (where I've spliced the harness, laid wiring that includes a direct power run to the battery, and replaced the stock amp with a much better Audison LRx 6.9). I also didn't worry about the back seat foot wells where I installed a pair of 8" subs in special enclosures (these are reversible mods). The door and rear "B" pillar speaker grills (ok...cabs don't really have B pillars but saying seatbelt mount areas doesn't make sense) look pretty much stock (the tweeter grills are stock anyway and the others are plain black). The only thing totally non-stock looking is the HU and as I said earlier no current HU looks even close to stock and/or does not have the required capabilities. Maybe someday someone like RetroSound will have something along the lines of what I'm looking for. Until then I'll have to go with a subtle looking as possible modern HU.

I have a few pics of what I did here.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:12 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Here's a shot of what a PO did to the doors, the hole is now so big that there is nothing to screw the fasteners too, blows me away how ignorant people can be. My thinking is to screw a piece of 3/8" SPF to the door with the right size hole and then mount the speakers to that.
Also a shot of the old door speakers and the area where the amp is going, wiring ready to go.

Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I jet mentioned this on my thread about option codes, but I ust ran my options on that decoder and says it came with cd-1 radio. My car has a Blaupunkt Stuttgart tape player, and the car came from original owner, sat at a shop for a couple years with blown motor. Maybe the radio got swapped cause someone wanted the cd player... Weird. Hell they "borrowed" a servo also. I should ask him. Now I don't feel so bad cutting stereos wires.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 PM
fluxdon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a shot of what a PO did to the doors, the hole is now so big that there is nothing to screw the fasteners too, blows me away how ignorant people can be. My thinking is to screw a piece of 3/8" SPF to the door with the right size hole and then mount the speakers to that. Also a shot of the old door speakers and the area where the amp is going, wiring ready to go.
For a brief moment I thought it was you who added those nasty speakers. They look like **** and completely destroys the doors.
My god how/why do people do this??
Old 02-16-2014, 04:25 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Don't feel bad, just do it. As others have said, keep the old parts and you can always swap it back. I think you will be very happy with the Blaupunkt, and as far as looking stock, its as close as you can get.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

I thought the Toronto was the best choice as far as looks also. Maybe I will go do it now. Feeling motivated! Time to crank up the heater. Ehhh, maybe a nap on this couch first.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:34 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fluxdon
For a brief moment I thought it was you who added those nasty speakers. They look like **** and completely destroys the doors.
My god how/why do people do this??
I agree, people like that should be shot. .
It will take a bit of work to get it looking good, but well worth it, those speakers have been an eye sore from the day I bought the car, taken me this long to get to it. I am installing Infinity Kappa 62.11i's, they are not exactly like stock units but a lot better than these.

NEW and OLD
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2014, 04:47 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Def better. I used a new speaker behind factory grill. Repainted factory grill with some plastic spray paint. transplanted them from the wreck.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

I will paint the chrome parts black, and they should be fine. The speakers in the back are Infinity Kappa 462.9's, put them in a few years back, used the factory covers. This way I will have a matching set of 2 Ohm speakers.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 PM
964Carrera4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by greg1990964
Def better. I used a new speaker behind factory grill. Repainted factory grill with some plastic spray paint. transplanted them from the wreck.
Same here. The factory rears and lower door speakers had rotted rubber cone surrounds, so I replaced them all with new speakers and was able to use the factory grills. The factory door tweeters seem to be fine. I just wish the CD-2 sounded better.... it looks nice, but sounds awful.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:59 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Installing radio now. Took a break for few. Got it working. I cut the round DIN plug at HU and tried to plug speaker wires directly to that . No way. Only gets faint sound and does the same from any wire. I guess I need to yank the pass seat out and undo the speaker wires from the amp and run them directly to the radio. Is that what others have done with no amp? I figured amp is not necessary without a sub woofer etc.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM
JJ964
Track Day

I think there is a power amp enable(on/off) wire in the DIN cable. I think it it connects to the antenna power terminal of the radio along with the antenna amp wire. My radio was replaced by the DPO and didn't have the antenna amp powered.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Jcx
Instructor

Originally Posted by greg1990964
Installing radio now. Took a break for few. Got it working. I cut the round DIN plug at HU and tried to plug speaker wires directly to that . No way. Only gets faint sound and does the same from any wire. I guess I need to yank the pass seat out and undo the speaker wires from the amp and run them directly to the radio. Is that what others have done with no amp? I figured amp is not necessary without a sub woofer etc.
How many wires did you find in that round plug lead? Should be 4x +ve speakers, one shared earth (-ve/common ground) and one power to have the HU turn on the power amp.

Arethere others?

Quick Reply: Anybody else feel guilty taking out original radio?